Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    Wonder if the guy who says he's D1 is some AAU weasel looking to enhance his all star gig resume. WLU would actually let him play outside and take 3's and would prepare him for Europe.
    Does not have the body for the NBA. Hope my concern posted earlier is not coming true...
    You might be right, part of his bio says clutch recruiting services with big fish scouting

Comment

Oh well, nice having him for a day or so!

Comment

We have certainly lost some good talent from dreams of going D1 lately. Humphries, Carry, Hill, and now maybe this kid. Brutal
        Last edited by Layton; 04-23-2019, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Layton View Post
          We have certainly lost some good talent from dreams of going D1 lately. Carry, Hill, and now maybe this kid. Brutal
          Although I have no evidence, I have a nagging feeling that I contributed to raising the visibility of the decision by posting internet info about the player on this site, which is one of the many one-stop shops for info on recruits.

No more comments from me on any player until the LOI is signed and announced by WLU.

Comment

Although I have no evidence, I have a nagging feeling that I contributed to raising the visibility of the decision by posting internet info about the player on this site, which is one of the many one-stop shops for info on recruits.

No more comments from me on any player until the LOI is signed and announced by WLU.
            It doesn't matter. Look at Sincere. It goes well beyond handlers. D1 schools will recruit kids even if they are already signed D2. In particular, D1 schools that have new HC's getting an April start after accepting a new job. They have to whip a class together quickly. The now 6'8" SG will draw attention in itself.

High school recruits far too often view our offers as their fallback. Even a trash offer to a dumpster fire like UMES still gets 'D1' on their Twitter feed. That's what it's all about after all. Never know. You may see him again in a year.

Comment

I don't think so, I use a Twitter app (tweetdeck) that tracks all posts from, about and related to an individual user OR containing specific key words. There were D1 strap hangers saying that he should go D1 from the moment he announced he had committed (his word) to WLU four days ago. Funny that these "you should go D1" posters were conspicuously absent before Collins announced he was going to WLU. One of these schmoes is Antar Fisher (@PrimoBigTime...I did NOT make that up!!). He "runs" something called Clutch Recruiting Service who, as near as I can tell, consists of Primo and some guy called "Big Fish" telling HS players they are can't miss D1 players and reposting recruiting highlight videos.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                It doesn't matter. Look at Sincere. It goes well beyond handlers. D1 schools will recruit kids even if they are already signed D2. In particular, D1 schools that have new HC's getting an April start after accepting a new job. They have to whip a class together quickly. The now 6'8" SG will draw attention in itself.

High school recruits far too often view our offers as their fallback. Even a trash offer to a dumpster fire like UMES still gets 'D1' on their Twitter feed. That's what it's all about after all. Never know. You may see him again in a year.
                It does, but the handlers contribute. It also includes self titled "Scouting Services" that hit the kid the second he mentions that he is committing to name DII's and tells them that they are "can't miss" D1 players...You couple what the handlers are whispering in their ear, what these unsolicited recruiting "experts" are reinforcing and the belief in every player that he just needs a shot to PROVE that all his hard work has really made him one of the best players in the nation and BAM...You get a player decommitting from one of the best programs in the nation to go JUCO to Polk State (Humphreys), or to accept a low tier D1 offer (Carry), or have to accept a lifeline offer from a DII (Dennis), or are sitting out in limbo after no D1 came calling (Hills). And these Twitter recruiting pirates are on to the next fish whispering in his ear that he REALLY is a D1 talent!!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                  It does, but the handlers contribute. It also includes self titled "Scouting Services" that hit the kid the second he mentions that he is committing to name DII's and tells them that they are "can't miss" D1 players...You couple what the handlers are whispering in their ear, what these unsolicited recruiting "experts" are reinforcing and the belief in every player that he just needs a shot to PROVE that all his hard work has really made him one of the best players in the nation and BAM...You get a player decommitting from one of the best programs in the nation to go JUCO to Polk State (Humphreys), or to accept a low tier D1 offer (Carry), or have to accept a lifeline offer from a DII (Dennis), or are sitting out in limbo after no D1 came calling (Hills). And these Twitter recruiting pirates are on to the next fish whispering in his ear that he REALLY is a D1 talent!!
                  I see Hill landing somewhere in the Atlantic next season. That was a horrible decision.

As for Chucky, I would have loved to see him here all four years. Once Joe started playing him last year all that natural athletic ability shined. He's going to have a big year next season.

Comment

Eric Williams just left Duquesne and is now signed with Oregon. I think it was Bucknell who just lost their best big to Kentucky.

That's the part of this we aren't talking about much. The 'big' schools now poach off the 'little' schools in D1 -- basically a developmental level in many ways.

So, a Sincere Carry type can look at Duquesne as his path to the P5. Stay there a year or two and bail.

The mid-majors have become the bus leagues in many ways. It's a mess.

I almost wonder if someday we see a football approach ... D1 and 1-AA

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                      I see Hill landing somewhere in the Atlantic next season. That was a horrible decision.

As for Chucky, I would have loved to see him here all four years. Once Joe started playing him last year all that natural athletic ability shined. He's going to have a big year next season.
                      Had Humphrey's not listened to his handlers, AAU "coaches" and Twitter Recruiting Service "experts", he would be entering his Sr year at West Liberty and possibly be one of the leading players in the nation...but he didn't and is now hoping for one big year on his third team!!

Someone will pick Hills up. Even though he is not really a D1 caliber player, he has proven in his one year at WLU that he is a very good DII player and will get someone at that level to throw him a lifeline.

Comment

What is in it for the recruiting pirates?

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
                          What is in it for the recruiting pirates?
                          That's a good question. Don't really know. I would imagine there is some sort of financial incentive somewhere but in this Social Media age, it could be as simple as getting more "followers." In the case of the cat I pointed out and his "service," there appears to be no actual company, web site or any way to access the company except I guess through the guy and his friend's Twitter page.

Comment

That's a good question. Don't really know. I would imagine there is some sort of financial incentive somewhere but in this Social Media age, it could be as simple as getting more "followers." In the case of the cat I pointed out and his "service," there appears to be no actual company, web site or any way to access the company except I guess through the guy and his friend's Twitter page.
                            https://www.google.com/amp/s/thinkpr...fae6c4a7e/amp/

Hey Duquesne, how does it feel to be on the other end? At least Williams did not break his word like carry did ( scholarships only valid for 1 year). Maybe your coaches need to beef up on theology classes lol!
                            Last edited by Columbuseer; 04-23-2019, 10:10 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

IUP has tried to play Duquesne for years and years. They want nothing to do with Joe.

That's why Calipari took a shot at them after IUP played at Rupp this year.

Comment

Had Humphrey's not listened to his handlers, AAU "coaches" and Twitter Recruiting Service "experts", he would be entering his Sr year at West Liberty and possibly be one of the leading players in the nation...but he didn't and is now hoping for one big year on his third team!!

Someone will pick Hills up. Even though he is not really a D1 caliber player, he has proven in his one year at WLU that he is a very good DII player and will get someone at that level to throw him a lifeline.
                                I see him playing d2 in a large metro area. I would think that once June comes the d1 openings will have largely evaporated. I would guess that his 150 lb frame is not worth a d1 school having him sit a year. He may learn that at his age there are no mulligans on bad decisions. There are consequences.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X