Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Daemen must be anticipating a big team. They are playing Northwest Missouri State on opening weekend. They are also playing Syracuse and Buffalo in exhibition.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        Daemen must be anticipating a big team. They are playing Northwest Missouri State on opening weekend. They are also playing Syracuse and Buffalo in exhibition.
        Nearly everyone is back from NCAA tourney team - They average about 80 points a game and 38% of threes. They have a returning 6-9 2nd team All American. This will be a good test for WLU in competing against a team with a dominant big man and with 3 point shooters.

Don't know much about Shaw or St. Augustine, but I would expect them to have some great players and be difficult to guard in one-on-one dribble-drive situations, if Va State is indicative of the conference.

These 3 games will reinforce the coach's emphasis about the extraordinary effort required to win for the freshmen and transfers; If they don't quite buy in yet and are not ready to give 100%, they could lose some of these games.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
          Nearly everyone is back from NCAA tourney team - They average about 80 points a game and 38% of threes. They have a returning 6-9 2nd team All American. This will be a good test for WLU in competing against a team with a dominant big man and with 3 point shooters.

Don't know much about Shaw or St. Augustine, but I would expect them to have some great players and be difficult to guard in one-on-one dribble-drive situations, if Va State is indicative of the conference.

These 3 games will reinforce the coach's emphasis about the extraordinary effort required to win for the freshmen and transfers; If they don't quite buy in yet and are not ready to give 100%, they could lose some of these games.
          I remember Daemen lost to Mercyhurst by two last year real early in the season. They played Slippery Rock for a few years prior.

Comment

[QUOTE
            "With that in mind, I'm really excited about our schedule. Having our first three games on the road against quality competition is perfect. The CIAA teams are always tough at home and Daemen has just about everybody back from last year's Top 25 team. That's a great early-season challenge."
            Non-conference foes coming to the hilltop this season include Salem (W.Va.), Ohio Valley (W.Va.) and an Ohio Dominican team that returns two 1,000-point scorers and the leading rebounder in the nation.
            Howlett believes playing a strong non-conference schedule not only helps prepare the Hilltoppers for the grind of the MEC season, it also helps West Liberty's post-season resume when the NCAA ranking committee reviews the team's body of work.
            "Winning is hard," said Howlett, who is an eye-popping 57-9 in his two seasons at the WLU helm. "Our conference puts multiple teams in the NCAA Tournament every year so you have to be ready to play every night. You have to learn how to work through adversity as a group. You have to learn how to win."

[/QUOTE]

Can we block Boat from seeing Ben's quotes about a tough non con schedule? That's gonna ruin his narrative this upcoming season about how it cost them the hosting rights....

For the record, it's the direction that WL was going last year with WC and Kutz on opening weekend...and it's continuing...Most of us on this board liked the tougher games... except for a select one or two...

Glad they are scheduling tougher.. I didn't study the teams that rec'd bids and determine if SOS tipped the scales for any teams, but may be it did...

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
              [QUOTE
              "With that in mind, I'm really excited about our schedule. Having our first three games on the road against quality competition is perfect. The CIAA teams are always tough at home and Daemen has just about everybody back from last year's Top 25 team. That's a great early-season challenge."
              Non-conference foes coming to the hilltop this season include Salem (W.Va.), Ohio Valley (W.Va.) and an Ohio Dominican team that returns two 1,000-point scorers and the leading rebounder in the nation.
              Howlett believes playing a strong non-conference schedule not only helps prepare the Hilltoppers for the grind of the MEC season, it also helps West Liberty's post-season resume when the NCAA ranking committee reviews the team's body of work.
              "Winning is hard," said Howlett, who is an eye-popping 57-9 in his two seasons at the WLU helm. "Our conference puts multiple teams in the NCAA Tournament every year so you have to be ready to play every night. You have to learn how to work through adversity as a group. You have to learn how to win."
              Can we block Boat from seeing Ben's quotes about a tough non con schedule? That's gonna ruin his narrative this upcoming season about how it cost them the hosting rights....

For the record, it's the direction that WL was going last year with WC and Kutz on opening weekend...and it's continuing...Most of us on this board liked the tougher games... except for a select one or two...

Glad they are scheduling tougher.. I didn't study the teams that rec'd bids and determine if SOS tipped the scales for any teams, but may be it did...[/QUOTE]

What will ruin their chance at hosting will be if they lose all three or perhaps even two of three. As IUP learned in 17-18, impossible to overcome going 1-3 to start the season to even make the NCAA field, much less having a chance to host the regionals.

But at least IUP would have been prepared to play in the NCAA if they had made it because they played tough games to open the season! Unfortunately, those tough game losses to start the season basically ended their season before it began.

As I've said many times, losses mean MORE than SOS.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Glad they are scheduling tougher.. I didn't study the teams that rec'd bids and determine if SOS tipped the scales for any teams, but may be it did...
                What will ruin their chance at hosting will be if they lose all three or perhaps even two of three. As IUP learned in 17-18, impossible to overcome going 1-3 to start the season to even make the NCAA field, much less having a chance to host the regionals.

But at least IUP would have been prepared to play in the NCAA if they had made it because they played tough games to open the season! Unfortunately, those tough game losses to start the season basically ended their season before it began.

As I've said many times, losses mean MORE than SOS.[/QUOTE]

I'd relax a bit.

Shaw was just 17-13 last year and that was with Amir Hinton. Saint Augustine's is the CIAA version of Edinboro (11-17 a year ago). Ohio Dominican was 17-11 a year ago and took some beatings against better teams.

Salem and Ohio Valley will be glorified scrimmages for WL.

The trip to Daemen will be tough but the rest of the non-conference schedule will be 25-35-point wins.

Comment

As I've said many times, losses mean MORE than SOS.[/QUOTE]

Imho it seems like high risk high reward scenario. I think SOS matters as a tie breaker to host. If u win conference regular season and tourney SOS might offset one or two close losses to allow a 25-3 team to host over a 27-1 team with weak SOS.

Comment

Imho it seems like high risk high reward scenario. I think SOS matters as a tie breaker to host. If u win conference regular season and tourney SOS might offset one or two close losses to allow a 25-3 team to host over a 27-1 team with weak SOS.
                    It is high risk/reward...the risk being that you torpedo your season in the first week! The only reward is that you might be a better team in 5 months...assuming you are playing in 5 months!

Comment

It is high risk/reward...the risk being that you torpedo your season in the first week! The only reward is that you might be a better team in 5 months...assuming you are playing in 5 months!

The 17-18 IUP team you reference wasn't ready for that opening weekend against Findlay and Ferris State. Cobo missed the entire fall camp and those games were his first action of the season. That was a a good team by March -- up until the Seton Hill debacle which saw Glover suspended and Dante break his wrist. If those events didn't happen in Greensburg that was a team headed for the Regional.

Joe played probably the toughest schedule I've ever seen last year. I actually believe they were wore out by the end and had regressed. Figure they went 30-3 and lost twice to one team. They beat every good team in the Region (minus WL as they didn't play).

I think it's a fine-line scheduling the non-conference. I like what Ben did. He took one marquee game, a couple 'semi-tough' games and a few cream puffs.

Comment

The 17-18 IUP team you reference wasn't ready for that opening weekend against Findlay and Ferris State. Cobo missed the entire fall camp and those games were his first action of the season. That was a a good team by March -- up until the Seton Hill debacle which saw Glover suspended and Dante break his wrist. If those events didn't happen in Greensburg that was a team headed for the Regional.

Joe played probably the toughest schedule I've ever seen last year. I actually believe they were wore out by the end and had regressed. Figure they went 30-3 and lost twice to one team. They beat every good team in the Region (minus WL as they didn't play).

I think it's a fine-line scheduling the non-conference. I like what Ben did. He took one marquee game, a couple 'semi-tough' games and a few cream puffs.
                        Good points - I agree with you that Ben has the right balance. Gives you exposure to multiple conference competition and possibility of statement win on the road (Daemen). If we sweep the MEC (which had a lot of talent leave) and the tourney, then one or 2 losses early probably should not hurt us.

Comment

I would not be surprised if the WLU second platoon is much, much stronger than the second platoon of last year. I think we have WL type players but this year they have much more raw athletic ability and scoring versatility. If true, that does not bode well for our opponents.

Comment

Good points - I agree with you that Ben has the right balance. Gives you exposure to multiple conference competition and possibility of statement win on the road (Daemen). If we sweep the MEC (which had a lot of talent leave) and the tourney, then one or 2 losses early probably should not hurt us.
                            Sweeping the MEC is a tall order just to take a chance at a couple of "statement" games at the beginning of the season. Hope it doesn't come back to bight us either via a lower tourney seeding because of "extra" losses or as happened to IUP, no tourney at all because of injuries or other unexpected losses.

Seems like quite the gamble.

Comment

Sweeping the MEC is a tall order just to take a chance at a couple of "statement" games at the beginning of the season. Hope it doesn't come back to bight us either via a lower tourney seeding because of "extra" losses or as happened to IUP, no tourney at all because of injuries or other unexpected losses.

Seems like quite the gamble.

Can't tell for sure until the rosters are out but I can't see more than 1-2 losses for WL on that schedule. I don't see anybody within a mile of them in the MEC next year. Concord and ND were gutted. WJ is a mess. Shepherd is gone. Fairmont may be competitive but will be nowhere near WL. If they can win at Daemen I could see an undefeated regular season. There's been several years the MEC is extremely deep. I just can't see it this coming season.

Comment

Can't tell for sure until the rosters are out but I can't see more than 1-2 losses for WL on that schedule. I don't see anybody within a mile of them in the MEC next year. Concord and ND were gutted. WJ is a mess. Shepherd is gone. Fairmont may be competitive but will be nowhere near WL. If they can win at Daemen I could see an undefeated regular season. There's been several years the MEC is extremely deep. I just can't see it this coming season.
                                Fairmont has some very talented RS Fr and Freshmen coming in. But the style will be very different than Mazzula. They may be much better at the end of the season just like WL was last year.

Some really high end talent has left that gave WL fits for years.
                                Voorhees and Thurman[sic] (all Philly Guard) from ND
                                Jolly and company from FSU and Emrick transferred to Findlay
                                Woody and Cannady and everyone else from WJU
                                Bolte from Concord
                                The big guy who could shoot threes from Europe for WVW

The outlook for WL is intriguing
                                Will the pirate give up his patch?
                                How do you defend BBY - Bolon, Boswell and Yoakum?
                                Dyer is a solid PG
                                Will anyone challenge Moore for the 5th spot?
                                I am really interested in seeing how Alessandro plays after redshirting. He is a bigger stronger version of Yoakum, based on seeing both in high school.
                                McKinney and Robinson look the part of D1 guards - Robinson was Freshman of year in his conference. How quickly can they adjust?
                                Which of the Freshmen will redshirt?

Watching Butler play, I was really impressed by his basketball IQ and skills.
                                In an all star game and down by 30, Conley called time out before the half and took charge, telling the team "we're going to an aggressive 1-3-1 zone and proceeded to give them a crash course during the time out. They came back and won.
                                Hazelbaker - high basketball IQ and very coachable. Hit 38% of 3s and is an aggressive rebounder at 6-8.
                                Shifflett - play on national level prep team and hit 46% of 3s.

Looks like we won't have guys languishing at the end of the bench because they have not bought in to the style, based on the highlights I saw.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X