X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

On march 24 i asked one of his best friends and former teammate the question about Fee's preferred style since he has had different head coaches. It was in the context of fee taking over when crutch retired. He said definitely wlu style. I accepted him as qualified for "who's to say".
    Fair enough. You have more inside contacts than I do. I'm just a run-of-the-mill fan who watches the games. I trust your sources.

But I just found it interesting that Bovaird went to Chaminade and didn't take "Crutch" with him.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

You're presuming that he would run the WLU style. He was an assistant at Nova before Crutch got there. Who's to say he doesn't run what he learned during that stretch? As has been said on this board before, Eric Bovaird left WLU and did not take the WLU style to the South Pacific. There's not yet a guarantee that Fee decides to run Crutch's system in Erie.
    On march 24 i asked one of his best friends and former teammate the question about Fee's preferred style since he has had different head coaches. It was in the context of fee taking over when crutch retired. He said definitely wlu style. I accepted him as qualified for "who's to say".

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

You're presuming that he would run the WLU style. He was an assistant at Nova before Crutch got there. Who's to say he doesn't run what he learned during that stretch? As has been said on this board before, Eric Bovaird left WLU and did not take the WLU style to the South Pacific. There's not yet a guarantee that Fee decides to run Crutch's system in Erie.
    It will be interesting. This is a relatively late hire (certainly within the recruiting cycle). He's starting from scratch (I don't think there's one player still there that actually played last year).

If he would bring the WL/Nova system, I'd guess that takes at least 10-11 quality players to run. That's a lot to recruit and implement in 6 months. But, if that is the plan, he has to start somewhere. I'd suspect he goes heavy transfers this year just to get the roster filled quickly.

Trying to build a ground/pound, half-court team would probably be faster, but he's coming in to a division of those types of teams.

If I was him, I'd try and bring the WL style. He'll get a couple years to get it going before any pressure starts to mount. I think Gannon is also playing all its home games at Penn State Behrend next year as its home gym is undergoing a massive renovation (i.e. nobody is going to watch Year 1 anyway).

Rest assured, Gannon has money. And, money can rebuild a roster very quickly.

It seems like a great hire. Now, a lot changes when you go from clipboard carrier to the lead dog. You're now dealing with the administration, angry parents, know-it-all boosters, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied
    He would not be very bright if he didn’t after seeing that style play each other in the national championship

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    The WLU style proliferation may have begun. Nova asst. and former wlu player Jordan Fee to Gannon. Imho wlu's success changed the type of players mec teams recruited in order to compete with wlu. Be interesting to see if he makes the same impact on the PSAC long term.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    The WLU style proliferation may have begun. Nova asst. and former wlu player Jordan Fee to Gannon. Imho wlu's success changed the type of players mec teams recruited in order to compete with wlu. Be interesting to see if he makes the same impact on the PSAC long term.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Bryce played 4 yrs for wlu. So i am ok with him leaving. One positive outcome is that it avoids an asterisk debate. Had he stayed, he would have become leading career scorer after playing for 1 more year than everyone else.

I think CoC is a good program with a good, ethical coach.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by Layton View Post
    I’ll give you one guess for where Butler ended up
    As predicted College of Charleston.

Yes indeed WLU has become CofC's "farm team."

Leave a comment:

• IUP1423
    replied
    UC

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied
    I’ll give you one guess for where Butler ended up

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    In looking at korte's 3 pt %, it varied from 37.2% playing 21 mins a game to 33% to 30% to 28.9% last year. He only averaged about 3 or 4 threes a game.
    Last year he averaged 36 mins a game, led team in rebounding and scored 19.6 pts per game. At a strong 6-6, that is a tremendous amount of energy expended in the high scoring MEC.

It raises some questions. How much of the decline could
    be due to fatigue? Could a reduction in minutes (wlu starters average 19 to 28 mins) raise his shooting performance as well as getting more open looks in the wlu 5-out offense?

Have to wait and see.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Wlu coaches and players are excited that he is coming to the hilltop. I have not watched his games, but a big factor that affects 3pt % in general is opponent distance from shooter. That is why higher % from corner, for defender is farther away on the close out. Six feet minimum distance is needed

West is working hard on the three pt shot and i think it will show results next season.
    I would imagine all on the team are working hard on their 3-point shooting, West included! I'm particularly concerned with Woodward. Going 0-fer on the season from three is NOT the way to earn playing time at WLU.

Korte has a lot of work to do to earn frontline playing time at WLU. The coaches/team may be excited but Korte has a LOT of work to do burnish his 3 point shooting chops before the start of the season. He's a quality scorer, good rebounder and has the ability to block a few shots but these are not skills that are at the top of the WLU priority tree. He has a penchant for turning the ball over and will commit a foul or two (or three or four...).

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Yea...But Korte shot a career low .286 from 3 and only took 76 3 point shots. This shooting would have slotted him at #11 on this years team ahead of only West (238), Sampson (182) and Woodward (000). Some see him as a replacement for Butler. While both were All-MEC, I don't see the production in the "right" places for him to be a major performer at WLU.
    Wlu coaches and players are excited that he is coming to the hilltop. I have not watched his games, but a big factor that affects 3pt % in general is opponent distance from shooter. That is why higher % from corner, for defender is farther away on the close out. Six feet minimum distance is needed

West is working hard on the three pt shot and i think it will show results next season.
    Last edited by Columbuseer; 04-06-2023, 10:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

I agree... that it is an opinion.
    Ben, you only recruit complete players. Don’t forget that!

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Wow.1st team all MEC
    Yea...But Korte shot a career low .286 from 3 and only took 76 3 point shots. This shooting would have slotted him at #11 on this years team ahead of only West (238), Sampson (182) and Woodward (000). Some see him as a replacement for Butler. While both were All-MEC, I don't see the production in the "right" places for him to be a major performer at WLU.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X