Clear All

• Layton
    replied
    Butler to the portal as expected. Unfortunate

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    I know fans are disappointed with the outcome and with some players losing their composure.

As I reflect on the season, it is an amazing coaching accomplishment to reach the elite 8, much less the finals.
    many elite 8 teams have experienced senior laden squads.

Last season wlu lost:
    - 8 players including 4 starters
    - leading scorer 20 ppg to d1 charleston who became 6th man of year in d1 conference
    - MEC tourney mvp and all american level player and 18.5 ppg in 20-21 before being injured in 21-22 pre season in yoakum.
    - another 20+ ppg in moore, kovacevic, watson, etc.

Wlu added:
    -7 new players
    - a 1 yr transfer in cannady who played a different slow style.
    - a redshirt freshman seeing his first action after being injured through much of his redshirt year .

Given the style is a completely different way to play the game, it is very hard to effectively contribute in one year.

Congrats to the coaching staff!
    You’re right, Ben. Great work!

Leave a comment:

• crixus
    replied
    Congratulations Nova Southeastern, going 36-0 and winning the D2 Championship. Very impressive!

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    I know fans are disappointed with the outcome and with some players losing their composure.

As I reflect on the season, it is an amazing coaching accomplishment to reach the elite 8, much less the finals.
    many elite 8 teams have experienced senior laden squads.

Last season wlu lost:
    - 8 players including 4 starters
    - leading scorer 20 ppg to d1 charleston who became 6th man of year in d1 conference
    - MEC tourney mvp and all american level player and 18.5 ppg in 20-21 before being injured in 21-22 pre season in yoakum.
    - another 20+ ppg in moore, kovacevic, watson, etc.

Wlu added:
    -7 new players
    - a 1 yr transfer in cannady who played a different slow style.
    - a redshirt freshman seeing his first action after being injured through much of his redshirt year .

Given the style is a completely different way to play the game, it is very hard to effectively contribute in one year.

Congrats to the coaching staff!

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied
    I know it is very premature, but could St. Crutch be building a competitor to NWMSU and become a frequent member of the Elite 8?
    His style, coupled with 19m folks in FL and their beautiful campus has all the ingredients. In a recent interview, he said last year's success allowed him into recruits' living rooms that were not available before.
    How old is he?

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

If that's accurate they need to pony up. He should be making way more.
    https://openpayrolls.com/ben-f-howlett-131927568

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    I know it is very premature, but could St. Crutch be building a competitor to NWMSU and become a frequent member of the Elite 8?
    His style, coupled with 19m folks in FL and their beautiful campus has all the ingredients. In a recent interview, he said last year's success allowed him into recruits' living rooms that were not available before.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Howlett made 97,000 in 2022. I'm sure he has incentives built in that increase that some, but regardless. He's 37 probably (by my math). That's extremely young. Nobody that age, with the success he's already had, is staying at this level forever.
    If that's accurate they need to pony up. He should be making way more.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

D1 is moving up, though, when your paycheck triples (or more).

If I was Gannon I'd look at Lamberti. He's not going to play Robin to Ben's Batman forever.
    Howlett made 97,000 in 2022. I'm sure he has incentives built in that increase that some, but regardless. He's 37 probably (by my math). That's extremely young. Nobody that age, with the success he's already had, is staying at this level forever.

Leave a comment:

• IUPHawks24
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Not sure what the reference to Butler being an Academic All American has to do with it.
    West Liberty is the Harvard of West Virginia- don't forget that.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Ah, yes. Shawn Dyer, the ultimate selfless team player. Who wouldn't want to play in the exciting IUP offense, where the star has the green light to take difficult shots?

However, in Bryce's case, I would be surprised if he made that choice, given that he is an academic all american.
    Not sure what the reference to Butler being an Academic All American has to do with it.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

How was the TV reception at IUP? I would imagine that Joe had the game on the big screen in the IUP team room for all the players to watch.
    Wouldn’t know, wasn’t there. I’d bet it was probably the same as on your sinking ****! Fair weather fan!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Unfinished business - win the finals
    going d1 is a minefield.
    - d1 coaches lie
    - being on a bad team or subbing will not help his game for Europe
    - wlu emphasis on team play helps get a gig in Europe

I could see a d2 with deep pockets in a talent rich state making a run for Ben.
    d1 is not moving up when iup and wlu could probably beat d1 teams outside the Top 100.
    D1 is moving up, though, when your paycheck triples (or more).

If I was Gannon I'd look at Lamberti. He's not going to play Robin to Ben's Batman forever.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

That's twice that a team has poached a WLU player and rode him to the NC game.
    For sure they don't make NC game without Will. It is amazing we got there without him.
    But he had been at wlu for 5 years. Don't blame him for going to play a similar style for his 6th year,

But he probably misses the beach at Peters Run Creek :-)

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    And lost loser!
    How was the TV reception at IUP? I would imagine that Joe had the game on the big screen in the IUP team room for all the players to watch.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X