X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boatcapt
    replied
    Some interesting MEC related stuff:

Future MEC school Point Park defeated WVU Tech (future MEC school???) 87-63 to punch their ticket for the NAIA Championship Tourney. Point stands 28-2 on the season While WVU Tech finished 18-10.

Salem as a last minute "stand-in" for AB finished the season 4-20 against MEC opponents.

UPike finished the season 23-7. Finished second in the NAIA's Appalachian Athletic Conf. They also punched their ticket for the NAIA Championship Tourney

Salisbury University finished the season 13-11 and finished third in the wacky D3 Coast-To-Coast Conference.

Shenandoah University finished the season 17-10 good enough for eight in the D3 Old Dominion Athletic Conference.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    So, WLU took care of business today at Wheeling 107-92.

1. They won
    2. They scored over 100
    3. They shot 48.5% from three

They are now stand 0-0 like everyone heading into the post season.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

PSAC has an East and West. So it may only be once every few years Gannon has to travel to Shepherd. Not sure if GMAC has the same structure. But if not, you're going to Owensboro every year.
    Notionally assuming Gannon AND Hurst jumped to the GMAC, the GMAC would probably break into regions. Of course, each conf has some schools that might not be around for long which would drive some changes.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I would note that Shepherd U is further than Hillsborough.
    PSAC has an East and West. So it may only be once every few years Gannon has to travel to Shepherd. Not sure if GMAC has the same structure. But if not, you're going to Owensboro every year.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Slippery Rock and Clarion aren't too far either.

Sure beats going to Hillsdale, MI or Owensboro, KY for road games.
    I would note that Shepherd U is further than Hillsborough.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied

Edinboro, Hurst, & Gannon are all in proximity to each other. That's at least 2 games where you barely have to leave town to play away.
    Slippery Rock and Clarion aren't too far either.

Sure beats going to Hillsdale, MI or Owensboro, KY for road games.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Last chance for WLU to right the ship before tourney season today @ Wheeling. Will the toppers break 100 and sail to 40% from three, or will they struggle as they have in four of their last five games and limp into the MEC Tourney?
    I don't really care what the score and percentages are. Just need a W. At this point, they're among the 7 getting spots in the NCAA tourney. Just gotta get a W today and stay away from a badly timed bad loss.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied

Who were the local rivals?
    Edinboro, Hurst, & Gannon are all in proximity to each other. That's at least 2 games where you barely have to leave town to play away.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Last chance for WLU to right the ship before tourney season today @ Wheeling. Will the toppers break 100 and sail to 40% from three, or will they struggle as they have in four of their last five games and limp into the MEC Tourney?

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They may be interested in Gannon and Mercyhurst but it's safe to say that's one-way interest. Neither is leaving the PSAC.

Both wanted to join the PSAC for years due to the short road trips and local rivalries.
    Who were the local rivals?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by tuffeagle View Post

I do not know, but I have heard the GMAC commissioner speak before and the focus recently has been strictly private schools. Part of that is it is so hard to compete in a lot of the sports with public schools having more money, more scholarships, etc. They have been trying to maintain a competitive league. I have heard Gannon and Mercyhurst as names the GMAC might be interested in. Indianapolis University is another one, along with Davenport in Michigan. Then schools thinking of moving up to D2, such as Indiana Wesleyan.

While I think Wheeling and West Lib would be good fits, Wheeling is most likely not going to be around. I don't think the GMAC would be interested in any other Mountain East Schools.
    They may be interested in Gannon and Mercyhurst but it's safe to say that's one-way interest. Neither is leaving the PSAC.

Both wanted to join the PSAC for years due to the short road trips and local rivalries.

Leave a comment:

• tuffeagle
    replied

Is there a restriction in the GMAC Constitution/By Laws? While the current members may not include publics, I would note that Central State (a public school) was a member of the GMAC from 2012-15 and UVa Wise (a public school) was a in 12-13.
    I do not know, but I have heard the GMAC commissioner speak before and the focus recently has been strictly private schools. Part of that is it is so hard to compete in a lot of the sports with public schools having more money, more scholarships, etc. They have been trying to maintain a competitive league. I have heard Gannon and Mercyhurst as names the GMAC might be interested in. Indianapolis University is another one, along with Davenport in Michigan. Then schools thinking of moving up to D2, such as Indiana Wesleyan.

While I think Wheeling and West Lib would be good fits, Wheeling is most likely not going to be around. I don't think the GMAC would be interested in any other Mountain East Schools.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by Bballfan View Post

A super conference isn't a bad idea, but the GMAC to this point has not accepted public schools into its footprint. Eventually they might not have a choice, because more schools from both conferences are going to close.
    Is there a restriction in the GMAC Constitution/By Laws? While the current members may not include publics, I would note that Central State (a public school) was a member of the GMAC from 2012-15 and UVa Wise (a public school) was a in 12-13.

Leave a comment:

• Bballfan
    replied

I've said for a while now that it is in the best interest of the GMAC and the MEC to merge. Maybe the spate of school closures will finally convince the leaders of both conferences to see the light.
    A super conference isn't a bad idea, but the GMAC to this point has not accepted public schools into its footprint. Eventually they might not have a choice, because more schools from both conferences are going to close.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by Bballfan View Post
    Wheeling College will be the next to fall. The G-MAC could be looking at losing a couple too. Lake Erie College is in about as bad a shape as Wheeling and Notre Dame College. Multiple colleges are going to shut their doors over the next few years. Survival of the fittest.
    I've said for a while now that it is in the best interest of the GMAC and the MEC to merge. Maybe the spate of school closures will finally convince the leaders of both conferences to see the light.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X