• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I'm telling you guys, Coach Howlett is going to be a big time coach one day. I just wonder how long West Liberty is able to keep him?

It won't take long for the poachers to start knocking on the door. At his age and likely success he'll get on the mid-major radar this off-season. It's up to him from there (stay or move up). Mid-Majors are always searching from the next big thing.
    Good Point. It raises the question, as Boat recently stated, "Are the schools willing to go ALL IN?" They would not just be getting a smart coach, but they are getting a unique style of playing basketball. To date, no D1 school that I am aware of has committed to the WLU system (the closest possibly is WVU Press Virginia, but they don't have the shooters. That will improve with Jordan McCabe next year, who is a combo of Jason William, Pistol Pete Maravich and Curry. Just google him.). The D1 AD would have to be a risk taker and take a deep breath before hiring. Probably would have to be a school that is so far down, all they can do is go up.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I'm telling you guys, Coach Howlett is going to be a big time coach one day. I just wonder how long West Liberty is able to keep him?

It won't take long for the poachers to start knocking on the door. At his age and likely success he'll get on the mid-major radar this off-season. It's up to him from there (stay or move up). Mid-Majors are always searching from the next big thing.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by Layton View Post
    I didn't notice but Crutch lost his first game on Dec 9th 103-99 to Florida Tech, hasn't lost since, he's also been in 3 OT games so it looks like he'll have to bring in some more talent to widen the skill gap

They play #9 Barry next on the 30th so that should give us and him a good base for where Nova is at
    I have watched their games on the net. Crutch is often starting 2 or 3 freshman - Hardy, Stampley and Smith out of Pittsburgh. Hardy is a scoring machine and Smith is very smooth and does not make mistakes. To have such a start with new coach, new system, and playing freshman is incredible. In addition, David Dennis has really worked on his shortcomings - much better shooting 3s and FTs. Doing better at finishing drives. Player of the week in the conference is becoming routine for him. Crutch already has commitments from two very good players for next year. It may be asking too much this year to beat Barry - after all Barry beat Auburn in Exhibition. But next year, look out. With the talent in Florida, I think he could make a deep run in the NCAA tournament!

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by FlyHawk98 View Post
    I have been impressed too. Seems wise beyond his years and a very hard worker. For example, I thought putting monterosa on Jolly in the Fairmont State game was a great move. It really disrupted FSU. Only in the last 5 minutes of the game, did Jolly start setting up way beyond NBA 3 to get beyond Monterosa's reach.
    I have also heard that Ben has recruited nearly all of the players for quite a few years. So his eye for players who fit the WLU style is a proven commodity.

Leave a comment:

• FlyHawk98
    replied

Great read, I hope they touch on Brady who was on the bench and at the press conference for the last game incase anyone didn't know that

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied

I didn't notice but Crutch lost his first game on Dec 9th 103-99 to Florida Tech, hasn't lost since, he's also been in 3 OT games so it looks like he'll have to bring in some more talent to widen the skill gap

They play #9 Barry next on the 30th so that should give us and him a good base for where Nova is at
    Last edited by Layton; 12-27-2017, 03:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Sportsnut
    replied

Bless his heart. Hang in there Brady!

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Great read, I hope they touch on Brady who was on the bench and at the press conference for the last game incase anyone didn't know that
    Great article Boat - Thanks for posting.
    Here is part two of the interview.
    http://dystpittsburgh.com/2017/12/23...-west-liberty/

Leave a comment:

• timbertopper
    replied

Merry Christmas everyone!

Looks like West Liberty is now doing brief post-game press conferences after their men's and women's home games and posting them on social media. Here's a link to the post-game from the UDC game with Brady, Coach Howlett and Marlon Moore (true freshman who went 7-7 from the floor in the second half).

Brady's lost his hair and looks like he's down a few pounds from the chemo but still has that great positive attitude. Got a standing ovation from the crowd when he was introduced during the first half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQxO...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by timbertopper; 12-25-2017, 10:01 AM. Reason: fixing broken link

Leave a comment:

• Layton
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Interesting article on Coach Howlett and WLU basketball:

http://dystpittsburgh.com/2017/12/22...tball-program/

Second part is suppose to be posted today.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Interesting article on Coach Howlett and WLU basketball:

http://dystpittsburgh.com/2017/12/22...tball-program/

Second part is suppose to be posted today.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Scouting Report: West Lib 2018 signee Jon Alessandro:
    I went to their game with Springboro tonight at Beavercreek, outside of Dayton.
    They are in a very tough league with Wayne, Centerville (Meininger and Saben's school) and others. The quality of basketball and coaching in the league is high.

Before tonight, Beavercreek was winless, mainly due to lack of height and shooting skills among some of their players. Beavercreek won 63-54. Jon had 34 points. 13-16 FT, 3-5 3s, 9-16 shots, 7 rebounds and 4 assists.

Jon is a very polished, intelligent basketball player. Plays with his head up with great vision and passing skills. He played outside at the Guard position at 6 ft 5.5 inches.
    Handles the ball well against pressure and in traffic. Great slasher and 3 point shooter. Very unselfish. He lets the game come to him and often passed up a make-able shot to give a less talented teammate an open shot. Tenacious on the boards. Very high motor but plays under control.

On defense he plays intelligently. If he forces a player into a difficult off-balance shot, he lets them attempt it rather than create an obvious foul.
    On one occasion, a player on a fast break came dribbling at full speed from the side right at Jon who was defending about 3 ft from the end line at the basket. The player was trying to bait Jon into a foul. Jon stayed completely still as the player out of control went flying by him in the air only to realize that he was so far out of position that he had no way to make a layup. He just wildly thru the ball up in the air behind his head. It was one hilarious attempt.

The game was close throughout until the 4th quarter. Down by 6, Springboro started doing all the quick foul stuff by the book. One problem. They did not deny Jon the ball, who is a deadly foul shooter. He must have made 10 straight foul shots in the final 2 minutes.

Bottom Line: Jon is a perfect fit for West Lib. High IQ, high motor, great shooter, ball handler, slasher, passer, rebounder and very unselfish. IMHO, he has a very high upside. Kind of a griffin/smith type player.
    He could possibly receive a lot of accolades by the time he is a senior.

Quick Update: West Lib signee Sincere Carry.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

I don't think a D1 team has played them since Marshall eked out a win in the early days of Crutchfield in the early 2000s. Their historical performance in tournaments would seem to indicate that their current scheduling strategy has served them quite well. What is encouraging to me is their play when they are not hitting their 3s. That could help them when you are playing games on consecutive days in a tournament setting.

Leave a comment:

• CelticCoach
    replied

Originally posted by JesuitHoops View Post
    It has nothing to do with West Lib "stepping up" to play D1 schools, but every bit of D1's not wanting anything to do with playing the Hilltoppers.

Leave a comment:

• JesuitHoops
    replied

It has nothing to do with West Lib "stepping up" to play D1 schools, but every bit of D1's not wanting anything to do with playing the Hilltoppers.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X