Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Calu wbb 2017-18

Sounds like she might have been placed in the NCAA's concussion protocol, which requires an athlete who is diagnosed with a concussion to not participate in any physical activity for seven symptom-free days before being cleared to practice. If that's the case, then it would not shock me if DJ misses at least Wednesday's game against Lock Haven and possibly next Saturday's game against UPJ.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
      Sounds like she might have been placed in the NCAA's concussion protocol, which requires an athlete who is diagnosed with a concussion to not participate in any physical activity for seven symptom-free days before being cleared to practice. If that's the case, then it would not shock me if DJ misses at least Wednesday's game against Lock Haven and possibly next Saturday's game against UPJ.
      Cracking the old noggin off the hardwood like that will do it every time. But it is good to see that concussions are now being treated as something very serious in sports medicine.

-

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
        Hahn has played the last two games, yet not many minutes, not concussion protocol. She's dealing with a right knee issue. Heavily wrapped with ice after last night's win over UPJ.

Comment

Originally posted by jsellew10 View Post
          Hahn has played the last two games, yet not many minutes, not concussion protocol. She's dealing with a right knee issue. Heavily wrapped with ice after last night's win over UPJ.

Comment

Wednesday's game vs CLARION turned out pretty much as one might expect. Smothering defense and opportunistic offense gave the VULCANS a 19 point lead. The final 3 qtrs were largely a stand off with CALU winning the rest of the game by 13. The team has some very talented players but, as yet, no one to lead it on a regular basis. PARSONS and CUSHON will always get their points, but unless HAHN, JASPER or SPORIO steps up, flops like SHU and MC will occasionally crop up.
            SHATARA seemed to turn her ankle early but it didn't have much of an effect on her game against the overmatched EAGLES. ABBEY SPORIO missed her second straight game after that scary incident vs IUP.
            Saturday begins the home stretch at the A'DOME vs SRU before another extremely difficult 3 games on the road.

Comment

I really hope the PSAC and even NCAA reviewed the film and the immediate, aftermath events of her injury -- and how the officials let the game go on for another 40-50 seconds.

I have to also question the California medical/training staff letting her back in the game.

That was one of the more-scary events I've ever seen at a basketball game. She smacked her head HARD. Then the game continues up and down and she's at mid-court stumbling and not having any idea where she is.

Now she's missed two straight games since. I don't have a medical degree but I have to question what further problems re-entering the game could have caused.

Screw the rules or protocol. When that happens -- big game, small game, playground, intramural -- blow the whistle immediately. That was beyond a disgrace.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                I really hope the PSAC and even NCAA reviewed the film and the immediate, aftermath events of her injury -- and how the officials let the game go on for another 40-50 seconds.

I have to also question the California medical/training staff letting her back in the game.

That was one of the more-scary events I've ever seen at a basketball game. She smacked her head HARD. Then the game continues up and down and she's at mid-court stumbling and not having any idea where she is.

Now she's missed two straight games since. I don't have a medical degree but I have to question what further problems re-entering the game could have caused.

Screw the rules or protocol. When that happens -- big game, small game, playground, intramural -- blow the whistle immediately. That was beyond a disgrace.
                I fully agree with everything that you said here! There is no place in sports nor society for this type of thing. It's especially shocking being that there has been so much talk and documentation on the dangers of receiving head injuries in sports the past few years.

Player safety should trump everything else out there!

-

Comment

SPORIO returned today in 61-41 win over SRU. She only played 21 minutes but COACH STROM seemed to be giving everyone on her team playing time with a week off before BORO. ABBEY got 9 pts, 4 assists and 5 steals so pretty much back to normal. PARSONS led the VULCANS with 25pts and got called for what I believe is the first TF of her career. Haven't seen the video yet but game play by play indicates she may have retaliated against a ROCK player who fouled her AFTER she scored.
                  Coupled with the IUP upset at MC (the new black hole of PSAC WBB), CALU is back in a tie for the top spot in the West. Next Saturday at BORO becomes even more critical, if that's possible.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                    SPORIO returned today in 61-41 win over SRU. She only played 21 minutes but COACH STROM seemed to be giving everyone on her team playing time with a week off before BORO. ABBEY got 9 pts, 4 assists and 5 steals so pretty much back to normal. PARSONS led the VULCANS with 25pts and got called for what I believe is the first TF of her career. Haven't seen the video yet but game play by play indicates she may have retaliated against a ROCK player who fouled her AFTER she scored.
                    Coupled with the IUP upset at MC (the new black hole of PSAC WBB), CALU is back in a tie for the top spot in the West. Next Saturday at BORO becomes even more critical, if that's possible.
                    It was a welcome surprise to see Abby Sporio playing again.

Comment

In the two weeks since the previous post CALU has done much as it has all season. Aside from the game at BORO, they win without significant edges in the usual stats but turn over their opponent at an amazing rate and score after those TOs. Against MC this evening the VULCANS won 60-50 while shooting FG 41%, 3PT 20%, FT 47% and getting out-rebounded 30-34. Doesn't seem like the formula for a win until you get to TO. The edge here was + 15 with 38 pts as a result of those TO. With 3 games left CALU trails IUP and BORO by 1 game for home court in the PSAC. IUP has by far the toughest schedule with home game vs CALU and BORO followed by the finale @ SHU. They could win all of these games but it wouldn't surprise me if they lost 1 or even 2. The VULCANS schedule is a bit easier (@ IUP, SHU and CLARION @ home) but that lose at MC could come back to haunt them. They MUST win all three and hope for the others to stumble. BORO has the inside track here (@CLARION and IUP, home to SHU) and likely will host the tournament if they can upset IUP @ the KCAC. In view of today's initial REGIONAL RANKINGS, it seems that all three will be traveling to RICHMOND in the near future unless the VUU PANTHERS get tripped up in their tourney. Time will tell.

Comment

In the two weeks since the previous post CALU has done much as it has all season. Aside from the game at BORO, they win without significant edges in the usual stats but turn over their opponent at an amazing rate and score after those TOs. Against MC this evening the VULCANS won 60-50 while shooting FG 41%, 3PT 20%, FT 47% and getting out-rebounded 30-34. Doesn't seem like the formula for a win until you get to TO. The edge here was + 15 with 38 pts as a result of those TO. With 3 games left CALU trails IUP and BORO by 1 game for home court in the PSAC. IUP has by far the toughest schedule with home game vs CALU and BORO followed by the finale @ SHU. They could win all of these games but it wouldn't surprise me if they lost 1 or even 2. The VULCANS schedule is a bit easier (@ IUP, SHU and CLARION @ home) but that lose at MC could come back to haunt them. They MUST win all three and hope for the others to stumble. BORO has the inside track here (@CLARION and IUP, home to SHU) and likely will host the tournament if they can upset IUP @ the KCAC. In view of today's initial REGIONAL RANKINGS, it seems that all three will be traveling to RICHMOND in the near future unless the VUU PANTHERS get tripped up in their tourney. Time will tell.

Comment

If they can upset IUP ??? Say what? Tom is 2-9 vs Cal ...

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            If they can upset IUP ??? Say what? Tom is 2-9 vs Cal ...
                            My phrasing wasn't clear. I meant to say if BORO could upset IUP @ KCAC then they would be set to host the PSAC tourney. With only two loses they'd have won the WEST by virtue of both CALU and IUP losing in ERIE.
                            Last edited by CALUPA69; 02-16-2018, 11:02 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X