Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Two years of eligibility for McClurg and Harris is attractive to go along with their skillsets. That was one of the things that was attractive about Garvin too. It will be nice having him back next season.

Joe has an opportunity to quickly re-take the West -- but, he has to act quickly.

Current state:

Cal lost a lot to graduation -- and, now just lost its star (McClurg).

Gannon graduated some studs and now just lost its HC. Portal losses typically follow.

Mercyhurst lost just about its whole team to the Portal, and Gary can't seem to hang on to young players more than a year anymore.

SRU lost a lot to graduation.

Clarion, SH and Edinboro also lost some key guys via transfer.

UPJ is UPJ.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Joe has an opportunity to quickly re-take the West -- but, he has to act quickly.

Current state:

Gannon graduated some studs and now just lost its HC. Portal losses typically follow.

Mercyhurst lost just about its whole team to the Portal, and Gary can't seem to hang on to young players more than a year anymore.

UPJ is UPJ.
      Sooooo...2024-25 is a down year in the West from the down year just passed??

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Sooooo...2024-25 is a down year in the West from the down year just passed??
        Down year? The West won the Region again and was a missed Cal box-out from having an all-west Regional Final? Not sure that is a down year.

Comment

Down year? The West won the Region again and was a missed Cal box-out from having an all-west Regional Final? Not sure that is a down year.
          I seem to recall all year hearing about what a "down year" it was in the West.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I seem to recall all year hearing about what a "down year" it was in the West.
            The West this year had two top teams, and several clumped together decent teams. Then the couple on the bottom.

It was a fairly normal year -- it just had Gannon and Cal on top instead of the usual IUP and Mercyhurst.

Comment

The West this year had two top teams, and several clumped together decent teams. Then the couple on the bottom.

It was a fairly normal year -- it just had Gannon and Cal on top instead of the usual IUP and Mercyhurst.
              It seemed kind of a blah year for the region as a whole, which was kind of confirmed when Gannon took a pounding in the Elite Eight (although it's possible they just had an off night). Gannon was able to make a miraculous turnaround with the new system and good recruiting, but there also wasn't the usual amount of resistance you'd expect in the West this year. I certainly didn't see anything in our region that resembled the Nova and Minnesota State teams I saw in the D2 final. The CIAA didn't seem up to its usual standard at all.

Comment

• Joe best cash in on the events of this week and get the ship back on track.

He got rid of (all this week):

* Fee
                * Omajafo
                * McClurg
                * Manchel

Comment

Joe best cash in on the events of this week and get the ship back on track.

He got rid of (all this week):

* Fee
                  * Omajafo
                  * McClurg
                  * Manchel
                  Yeah, it certainly looks as if the path has gotten easier for IUP basketball in the West. The overall strength of the PSAC will take a hit for a while, though.

Comment

• It's probably safe to assume we're through the 'outgoing' phase of the transfer season.

The three who left -- Stewart, Waldo and Lambert -- were all expected to leave (one way or another).

So, as of now, here is the '24-'25 roster:

Guard

Garvin Clarke
                    Denzel Kabasele
                    Dallis Dillard
                    Ian Herring (incoming)
                    Sarp Furtun
                    Anthony Watson

Forward

Damir Brooks
                    Gabriel Romero-Sanz
                    Callum MacNamara

Looking at the 'salary cap', it's safe to assume Clarke, Dillard and Herring are on full rides. Denzel may be, too, as there was a lot of competition to sign him last year. I'm assuming it took a full ride to get Herring, as he had offers from just about every program around. The rest are likely at some level of partial scholarship. So, Joe has a good bit of money available.

By my guess, he should have (at least) three full equivalencies available. If Josh Petteno does return (not confirmed) he would be a 4.0 gpa grad student and they can get him funds from other places. So, he'd be no hit to the scholarship piggy bank.

Here's where things get fun.

IF Joe can land McClurg, he obviously signs him without hesitation and he plays 38 mpg. That likely makes Sarp a redshirt (Watson redshirted this past season). That would give Joe (6) scholarship guards on the active roster. If Sarp agrees to it, of course. He could not want to sit and leave.

So, assuming he uses one 'ride' on the guard position, that leaves two available underneath. Obviously my choices are Jayson Harris (Clarion) and Saraj Ali (Mansfield). My opinion doesn't mean a thing, however.

There's still the elephant in the room down at Towson. Remember, Tomiwa can only come back as a grad student (meaning he has to graduate this Spring).

Joe has a pretty solid group right now. These next three signings will determine if IUP gets back to being IUP.

Comment

Current state:

UPJ is UPJ.
                      Count out Mercyhurst!!!!!!!

Comment

• I guess this kinda shoots the whole "IUP can't go Division I because its football stadium is a liability lawsuit waiting to happen" when Mercyhurst is now announcing its moving to the NEC? (Miller Stadium still is hot garbage...two things can be true.)

Comment

• Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
                          I guess this kinda shoots the whole "IUP can't go Division I because its football stadium is a liability lawsuit waiting to happen" when Mercyhurst is now announcing its moving to the NEC? (Miller Stadium still is hot garbage...two things can be true.)
                          Hurst has competent facilities. Better than many members of that conference. Not really sure what you are talking about.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Hurst has competent facilities. Better than many members of that conference. Not really sure what you are talking about.
                            I actually like Mercyhurst's football stadium. It has limited seating but it doesn't have a track (and you know I despise track stadiums). I always thought it was one of the nicer in the PSAC.

The MAC is adequate for the NEC. It's not like Pitt or some P5 is ever going to take a road game at Mercyhurst. Most of the bush league D1 teams get smaller crowds than IUP.

Attendance surely isn't going to explode at the MAC because some NEC team is coming to town.

Comment

• Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
                              I guess this kinda shoots the whole "IUP can't go Division I because its football stadium is a liability lawsuit waiting to happen" when Mercyhurst is now announcing its moving to the NEC? (Miller Stadium still is hot garbage...two things can be true.)
                              I hate telling you this, but IUP isn't D1 because they don't have the money. Its almost impossible for a PASSHE school to finance D1 athletics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I hate telling you this, but IUP isn't D1 because they don't have the money. Its almost impossible for a PASSHE school to finance D1 athletics.
                                Thoughts of a delusional former president.

The PSAC is a good home for IUP -- which is far, far from the IUP most of us used to know.

There was perhaps a window to move up 20-25 years ago.

But, really, move up to where? At best one notch, which is the dead-end, wasteland of D1?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X