Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    I checked today, as I do yearly, to see if IUP would play a game at the Memorial Field House this season. No dice.

IUP, my opinion, should play one game a season there so long as the building is still standing. They were for a couple years -- not out of any nostalgic reasoning but due to concerts somehow being booked at the KCAC.

It's been (6) years now since the last game played across the street. If that was the last one, the place went out with a bang.

On Saturday night, Dec. 8, 2018, IUP hosted Shippensburg. The Crimson Hawks entered the game ranked No. 3 nationally. The Raiders were No. 11.

The Field House was jammed. It felt like 1998 again. Despite trailing, 45-40, at halftime, IUP stormed back and outscored Shippensburg, 48-32, in the second half. Dante Lombardi had the best game of his career.

Willem Brandwijk had a relatively quiet game but did have the 'moment' of the night -- a 'game over' break-away dunk with about 30 seconds remaining. The place went crazy. IUP won, 88-77.

Not all games played at the Field House had that type of atmosphere. But, on those types of nights, it was as loud as any building in D2.

I've said many times I've been to more IUP basketball games than I'd ever actually tell people. None of the games today compare to the Cal vs IUP games inside the Field House in the 90s and very early 00s.

Being honest, those teams would have lit up these current editions. But, that was a much different time in the transfer portal era. Many of IUP's stars from those years, in today's world, would have never ended up in D2. Consider the '99 team had, I believe, 8 or 9 D1 transfers.

Ironically, the greatest game I ever saw in that building was an overtime IUP loss to the Vulcans. But, when Gary Edwards got his revenge the following year -- and his starters were still chucking treys with IUP up nearly 30 points in the final minute -- I guess it made up for it.

Speaking of Edwards, I think it's time IUP puts him in the Hall of Fame. Yes, the ending of his era was bad. But, the official NCAA findings weren't all that terrible. Hell, the football program certainly wasn't a model of ethics in that time.

Edwards had an incredible run at IUP -- perhaps highlighted by winning a Regional with just 7 players dressed due to injuries. It's time to acknowledge it. He's been the scapegoat of that era long enough.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    They'll be fine at guard. Pickens is legit and very similar to Garvin. Kasabele and Dallis returning is big. Moore is also going to be a very good D2 player.

We'll see about underneath.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Clarke has signed a professional contract with a team in Spain.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

and your support means what?
    Nothing. As a fan, I would support them retiring his number. I think his career could be put into that category.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Ethan bailed them out as a true freshman after Tommy Demo went down. They wouldn't have won the PSAC that year without him. He wasn't the star by any means but played his role very well.

His sophomore year was probably his best all-around season -- and his last healthy one. That season he hit the biggest shot in the history of the KCAC -- the corner trey to ice the Regional against California. That was also the loudest moment - by far - in the history of the building (perhaps in the history of IUP basketball). .

He was probably - at best - about 50% his junior season. At times he was probably 30%. He would routinely leave the court, go vomit in the restroom, and then come back out. He missed the entire camp that year and his first 'practice' was their first game. His effort was incredible.

Last year his health was better (ish) but the talent level around him wasn't anywhere close to what he had the first three years. Due to Joe's disaster at small forward, he was doubled every game -- sometimes tripled -- but still put up huge stats. It's not easy to play when the other team knows you have two scoring options.

Above it all, Ethan stayed at IUP all four years. He could have easily left after his sophomore season. He finished with incredible stats. I can only imagine what his numbers would have been had he been healthy those last two years.

Regardless, he's obviously a first-ballot IUP HOF inductee.
    It is too bad he struggled with health issues for much of his career, and it's amazing what he did accomplish given all that. You always knew he was going to be a thorn in your side when your team had to play IUP. A worthy opponent and a guy who played hard on the court without a lot of showboating. I actually will kind of miss seeing him, although it'll certainly be a relief for Ship to not have to defend him. I hope for the best for his future.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I think given his contributions to the program, the winning they did with him at the forefront, and what he meant to the team for a long stretch... I would be fully supportive of his number being retired.
    and your support means what?

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

Ethan bailed them out as a true freshman after Tommy Demo went down. They wouldn't have won the PSAC that year without him. He wasn't the star by any means but played his role very well.

His sophomore year was probably his best all-around season -- and his last healthy one. That season he hit the biggest shot in the history of the KCAC -- the corner trey to ice the Regional against California. That was also the loudest moment - by far - in the history of the building (perhaps in the history of IUP basketball). .

He was probably - at best - about 50% his junior season. At times he was probably 30%. He would routinely leave the court, go vomit in the restroom, and then come back out. He missed the entire camp that year and his first 'practice' was their first game. His effort was incredible.

Last year his health was better (ish) but the talent level around him wasn't anywhere close to what he had the first three years. Due to Joe's disaster at small forward, he was doubled every game -- sometimes tripled -- but still put up huge stats. It's not easy to play when the other team knows you have two scoring options.

Above it all, Ethan stayed at IUP all four years. He could have easily left after his sophomore season. He finished with incredible stats. I can only imagine what his numbers would have been had he been healthy those last two years.

I think given his contributions to the program, the winning they did with him at the forefront, and what he meant to the team for a long stretch... I would be fully supportive of his number being retired.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
    From Ethan Porterfield’s Instagram:

“Due to my health I am going to be stepping away from basketball. Thank you to everybody who helped me get where I am today. You guys mean more than you know.”

That’s too bad. It seemed like he was always having to deal with health issues. As great as he was, how good could he have been if it wasn’t for battling his health over the years? I hope it all gets figured out for him. He seems like a great kid.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    From Ethan Porterfield’s Instagram:

“Due to my health I am going to be stepping away from basketball. Thank you to everybody who helped me get where I am today. You guys mean more than you know.”

That’s too bad. It seemed like he was always having to deal with health issues. As great as he was, how good could he have been if it wasn’t for battling his health over the years? I hope it all gets figured out for him. He seems like a great kid.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Apparently in a small town the roster posting (which is mysteriously minus the teams' star player) isn't newsworthy.
    Week later ... apparently this still isn't newsworthy in a small town.

Nothing from WCCS or the Gazette.

Come on.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

My concern, how good would he be at X's and O's?
    I don't think it matters. In 18 years I've never seen a Joe assistant do anything with X's and O's.

That said, I think Chucky would be just fine. It's not like Joe's system has changed a lick.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Joe's no-brainer decision for an assistant (my opinion) is Chucky Humphries. Easy call.

He is a good guy. He cares about IUP and the program. He'd be a TREMENDOUS recruiter. He can even suit up for practice.
    My concern, how good would he be at X's and O's?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Joe's no-brainer decision for an assistant (my opinion) is Chucky Humphries. Easy call.

He is a good guy. He cares about IUP and the program. He'd be a TREMENDOUS recruiter. He can even suit up for practice.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPHawks24 View Post

Noticed that as well.

Anyone with any information on that? Can’t be by accident.
    Wonder where our Gannon friend is that defended Stevie P?

Leave a comment:

• IUPHawks24
    replied

Missing the star player and missing the only assistant coach.
    Noticed that as well.

Anyone with any information on that? Can’t be by accident.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X