Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    It appears Joe is attempting to have 13 guards and 2 post players next year -- and likely redshirt 6 of the guards.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I would imagine IUP isn't the only school interested in a kid such as Jayson Harris.
    IUP doesn't seem interested in him. That's the problem.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Updated (known) roster:

G

Garvin Clarke
    Denzel Kabasele (missed entire '23-'24 season due to injury)
    Dallis Dillard (missed majority of '23-'24 season due to injury)
    Ian Herring (incoming freshman / post-grad player)
    Sarp Furtun
    Anthony Watson (redshirted in '23-'24 after JUCO transfer / two years' eligibility remaining)

F

Damir Brooks
    Gabriel Romero-Sanz
    Tyler Grove (incoming true freshman)
    Callum MacNamara (missed majority of '23-'24 season due to injury)

Notes:

* There is one GMAC transfer guard (who visited IUP yesterday) in the mix (several are chasing him including West Liberty and St. Thomas Aquinas)

* While the KJ McClurg rumors were entertaining and would have made a great story, word on the street is he's planning to move (back) up to D1. I wouldn't say this is completely dead, but, ...

* Clarion export Jayson Harris is still available. He's an instant fix and Day 1 starter. Harris has also smoked IUP several times. This seems like a no-brainer. Make the call, Joe.
    I would imagine IUP isn't the only school interested in a kid such as Jayson Harris.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Updated (known) roster:

G

Garvin Clarke
    Denzel Kabasele (missed entire '23-'24 season due to injury)
    Dallis Dillard (missed majority of '23-'24 season due to injury)
    Ian Herring (incoming freshman / post-grad player)
    Sarp Furtun
    Anthony Watson (redshirted in '23-'24 after JUCO transfer / two years' eligibility remaining)

F

Damir Brooks
    Gabriel Romero-Sanz
    Tyler Grove (incoming true freshman)
    Callum MacNamara (missed majority of '23-'24 season due to injury)

Notes:

* There is one GMAC transfer guard (who visited IUP yesterday) in the mix (several are chasing him including West Liberty and St. Thomas Aquinas)

* While the KJ McClurg rumors were entertaining and would have made a great story, word on the street is he's planning to move (back) up to D1. I wouldn't say this is completely dead, but, ...

* Clarion export Jayson Harris is still available. He's an instant fix and Day 1 starter. Harris has also smoked IUP several times. This seems like a no-brainer. Make the call, Joe.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 04-11-2024, 07:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

We should start running and over/under on how many years these kids stay given the current portal environment. We need a spreadsheet!

Looks like a good signing. It would be nice to get a kid that’s here five years and grows with the program. I realize this is a signing for the future, but I’d like to see a forward or two show up soon. As it is right now, looks like IUP is running a four guard starting lineup.
    It should be soon. Brooks and Romero-Sanz are the only two scholarship post players on the roster as of today.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    IUP signed a coveted player out of Erie McDowell ... Tyler Grove (6'6" G).

It appears Joe beat out a lot of schools on this one.

Joe is going big as that's two 6'6" guards in this class.
    We should start running and over/under on how many years these kids stay given the current portal environment. We need a spreadsheet!

Looks like a good signing. It would be nice to get a kid that’s here five years and grows with the program. I realize this is a signing for the future, but I’d like to see a forward or two show up soon. As it is right now, looks like IUP is running a four guard starting lineup.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Yes, a lot of schools were after him. Could be a pretty nice signing. Defense is the worry b/c he can score on all 3 levels.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• gman16506
    replied

Thoughts of a delusional former president.

The PSAC is a good home for IUP -- which is far, far from the IUP most of us used to know.

There was perhaps a window to move up 20-25 years ago.

But, really, move up to where? At best one notch, which is the dead-end, wasteland of D1?
    And the PSAC was a good home for Mercyhurst. Have no idea what the Administration thinks they are gaining in the NEC as they are Division One in name only.
    Last edited by gman16506; 04-05-2024, 05:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

The PSAC is a good home for IUP -- which is far, far from the IUP most of us used to know.

But, really, move up to where? At best one notch, which is the dead-end, wasteland of D1?
    Exactly. You'd lose attendance and significantly increase travel costs. Best situation is you win the conference and get to play the #5 Big 12 team in a play in game. The NEC is rated so low their auto bid isn't even really a bid to the tournament.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

I often think of Mount St. Mary's, which used to be a powerhouse in small-college basketball. Heard of them much lately? Probably not.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I hate telling you this, but IUP isn't D1 because they don't have the money. Its almost impossible for a PASSHE school to finance D1 athletics.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
    I guess this kinda shoots the whole "IUP can't go Division I because its football stadium is a liability lawsuit waiting to happen" when Mercyhurst is now announcing its moving to the NEC? (Miller Stadium still is hot garbage...two things can be true.)
    I hate telling you this, but IUP isn't D1 because they don't have the money. Its almost impossible for a PASSHE school to finance D1 athletics.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Hurst has competent facilities. Better than many members of that conference. Not really sure what you are talking about.
    I actually like Mercyhurst's football stadium. It has limited seating but it doesn't have a track (and you know I despise track stadiums). I always thought it was one of the nicer in the PSAC.

The MAC is adequate for the NEC. It's not like Pitt or some P5 is ever going to take a road game at Mercyhurst. Most of the bush league D1 teams get smaller crowds than IUP.

Attendance surely isn't going to explode at the MAC because some NEC team is coming to town.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
    I guess this kinda shoots the whole "IUP can't go Division I because its football stadium is a liability lawsuit waiting to happen" when Mercyhurst is now announcing its moving to the NEC? (Miller Stadium still is hot garbage...two things can be true.)
    Hurst has competent facilities. Better than many members of that conference. Not really sure what you are talking about.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X