Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    We'll learn about Armoni in the coming days. I have a feeling he's going to stay. Playing since December with one hand likely didn't help his chances of moving up.

I'd guess IUP gets one more year with Suliaman but that's likely it. His star is going to explode next year (most forget he was a freshman this year). Being from England, I could see him going back to play in their pro leagues after next season.

Ethan will hopefully get all that weight he lost back on. I know he lost about 30 lbs during his illness in Dec-Jan. He was playing around 205 at the end.

Leave a comment:

• NWFanatic
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

According to yesterday's broadcast, Hudgens apparently told reporters that yesterday was his last game in a Bearcat uniform.
    Trevor announced last year that this year would be his last at NW. I think he’s done with college ball and looking to earn a salary playing somewhere next year.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

I think there’s a very good chance Hudgens moves on. And if McCollum finally gets that right D1 coaching offer we’ll see what impact that has. Not saying they wouldn’t still be very formidable, but I don’t see that team coming back as is next year.
    According to yesterday's broadcast, Hudgens apparently told reporters that yesterday was his last game in a Bearcat uniform.

Leave a comment:

• NWFanatic
    replied
    Mac is a once in a lifetime Coach. He says his job is teaching ‘Life through basketball’

One of my favorite sayings of his is ‘don’t let good be the enemy of great’

He never takes credit for what he’s done. When the players have a good game he’ll say ‘they made it look like I can coach a little’

When asked what his game plan was after a game where Trevor really lit it up he said his game plan was ‘give the ball to Trevor, tell him to shoot.”
    Mac turned a football school into a basketball school.

For all their success NW has had its share of heartbreak. Twice since ‘14 they lost to the eventual Champ in the Sweet 16. In ‘18 their AA guard Justin Pitt’s broke his foot before the Regionals and they lost in round 1. In ‘20 they were 31-1 and ranked #1 when Covid shut down the season robbing them of a chance to defend their title. They found a way to win despite losing last year’s Tourney MVP and eventual 2nd Team All Big East player.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

The Northwest Missouri roster is all underclassmen.
    …of course they are.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

I think there’s a very good chance Hudgens moves on. And if McCollum finally gets that right D1 coaching offer we’ll see what impact that has. Not saying they wouldn’t still be very formidable, but I don’t see that team coming back as is next year.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Burglund
    replied
    Hopefully everybody comes back for IUP and Shawndale comes back at or close to full strength. No reason next season couldn’t be our year.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

You act like Northwest Missouri State has been a basketball power since the beginning of time. They haven’t been. Their coach has a lot to do with this. Them recruiting guys who have legitimate pro potential like Ryan Hawkins and Trevor Hudgens has a lot to do with this.

They’re the Yankees. I get it. But they’re in a state and in a region of the country where there are not many D1 universities. So they have an edge in getting high level talent because they don’t have to compete with what seems like 30 mid majors who are in a 3 hour drive. In most sports, top D2 programs in that region arguably have D1 rosters.
    For the last 6 years, the Central Region has been in the finals. In 2016 Augustana won at Iowa in exhibition.

I agree that it is the coach - brilliant and has a great eye for spotting overlooked talent and developing it. Hudgens said after the game that his coach was responsible for developing his game.
    I cannot understand how he can get players to play so synergistically; no one takes a heat check or bad shot. Their bodies don't look like D1 bodies. How they get AAU habits out of them, I don't know. He said he recruits tough kids who do not like to lose over elite players. Also he will never recruit a moody player.

My friend who attended the 1st two rounds said that of all the teams, IUP was loaded with D1 bodies on the roster. Of course he was also impressed with Crawford and Kirby, but he was referring to the overall roster.

McCollum is one of those coaches who can beat you with his players; he can also swap teams and beat you with your players.
    Dreamer was hurt, Bernard was hurt, and he still beat an incredibly athletic, great three point shooting team with a 7-1 center.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I’m sick of seeing the same 4-5 schools win all these titles. IUP was on that path years ago and it just went all just went horribly wrong.

I was hoping Augusta would win just so Northwest Misery didn’t win another ****ing National Title in something. Again, their state gubmint funds their sports teams while ours has to grovel for money. If this is a 5 mile race they get to start at the 2 mile marker and we have to catch them…every..single…year…in foosball and now basketball.
    You act like Northwest Missouri State has been a basketball power since the beginning of time. They haven’t been. Their coach has a lot to do with this. Them recruiting guys who have legitimate pro potential like Ryan Hawkins and Trevor Hudgens has a lot to do with this.

They’re the Yankees. I get it. But they’re in a state and in a region of the country where there are not many D1 universities. So they have an edge in getting high level talent because they don’t have to compete with what seems like 30 mid majors who are in a 3 hour drive. In most sports, top D2 programs in that region arguably have D1 rosters.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Who is “we?”

There are a lot of great programs who can’t get over the hump. That coach from Augusta has been at it longer than Lombardi. He’s lost the last game twice now too. West Liberty has a great program. They can’t seem to break down that last door either. Jim Crutchfield looked poised to do it this year, but here we are. IUP’s accomplished everything other than cutting down the net at the end.

“We” don’t deserve anything. IUP’s had some great teams. Every time that they’ve come up just short, they lost to somebody better. Or they lost to somebody who had “that dude.” Kevin Capers for Florida Southern. Tyshaun Crawford for Augusta. Had Jones not gotten hurt, maybe he was that guy and this was their year. But staying healthy is part of it.
    l
    I’m sick of seeing the same 4-5 schools win all these titles. IUP was on that path years ago and it just went all just went horribly wrong.

I was hoping Augusta would win just so Northwest Misery didn’t win another ****ing National Title in something. Again, their state gubmint funds their sports teams while ours has to grovel for money. If this is a 5 mile race they get to start at the 2 mile marker and we have to catch them…every..single…year…in foosball and now basketball.
    Last edited by IUPNation; 03-26-2022, 07:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

I definitely wasn’t rooting for them, but it is what is it. Hopefully everybody comes back for IUP and Shawndale comes back at or close to full strength. No reason next season couldn’t be our year.
    From your mouth to the sports gods ears…

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

I’m so sick of them winning titles in foosball and basketball. They are the Patriots of D2.

We deserve it more than they do…
    Who is “we?”

There are a lot of great programs who can’t get over the hump. That coach from Augusta has been at it longer than Lombardi. He’s lost the last game twice now too. West Liberty has a great program. They can’t seem to break down that last door either. Jim Crutchfield looked poised to do it this year, but here we are. IUP’s accomplished everything other than cutting down the net at the end.

“We” don’t deserve anything. IUP’s had some great teams. Every time that they’ve come up just short, they lost to somebody better. Or they lost to somebody who had “that dude.” Kevin Capers for Florida Southern. Tyshaun Crawford for Augusta. Had Jones not gotten hurt, maybe he was that guy and this was their year. But staying healthy is part of it.
    l

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

I definitely wasn’t rooting for them, but it is what is it. Hopefully everybody comes back for IUP and Shawndale comes back at or close to full strength. No reason next season couldn’t be our year.
    The tough part is that you just don’t know when the next “when” is. On paper, right now, IUP looks like a championship team next year. But it just never works out that way. They don’t award championships on paper.

In this regionalized format, winning three games in a typically very deep regional tournament is so hard. Joe’s had some great teams since 2015. He never got close to the Elite Eight again until this year. His best team during that stretch was in 2020, and they obviously never got a shot.

I bet Tom McConnell has nightmares of losing that final four game a couple years ago. It’s so hard just to get there. And you never know when you get back, or if you ever will.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I’m so sick of them winning titles in foosball and basketball. They are the Patriots of D2.

The best team wins the last game. Beauty of the tournament. You can't hide.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X