Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Joe's going to have his older crowd all fired up about this 8 p.m. tip-off on Thursday.

It is a bit odd. I don't ever recall an 8 p.m. tip.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I just wonder if the short bench isn't going to hurt him if more teams start going 9-10 deep. Maybe, maybe not. Ship probably doesn't have the horses to take them down this year (Porterfield will be a matchup nightmare for us), but I'm not sure that will be the case with some of the others. I'll watch their games with Gannon with interest. They probably do need more action out of someone such as Brooks as you suggest. The way they're presently constituted, I think they'd better pray Porterfield stays healthy.
    Joe's bench philosophy has always been structured as such, in my opinion, to never face a true "down" year. it's worked well, mostly. You can't argue with the results. In a vacuum, there's specific games and some stretches where it hurts the team on the court, and then in the W/L column. The idea is he brings in 3-4 guys with the intention of 1-2 of them getting redshirted. If he has a veteran team already, he looks at the guys he redshirts as recruits for the next year. He shortens the bench to spread his talent out over the coming seasons. That approach to having an ace in the hole was able to exist previously, but it can't anymore. Not when these guys will transfer at the first opportunity when they don't like something they are served in the dining hall.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's by his design. Even when Joe has a legit bench, he doesn't use it. He's redshirting four players this year (including one big one they could have surely used this past weekend).

The key to this season -- right now -- is getting Brooks released from Joe's prison. He played 6 minutes combined in two games. Hopefully the point was received and all can move forward. Trust me when I say they are COMPETELY different with him on the floor. His two replacements got bounced around like ping pong balls for two nights. Brooks has a physical and explosive game. KJ and Waldo gave up so many boards that Brooks would have easily had. If he screwed up, then, yes, he had to pay the fine. Let's just pray it's not a death sentence.

It's going to be an interesting year in the KCAC. It will have some highs and lows.
    I just wonder if the short bench isn't going to hurt him if more teams start going 9-10 deep. Maybe, maybe not. Ship probably doesn't have the horses to take them down this year (Porterfield will be a matchup nightmare for us), but I'm not sure that will be the case with some of the others. I'll watch their games with Gannon with interest. They probably do need more action out of someone such as Brooks as you suggest. The way they're presently constituted, I think they'd better pray Porterfield stays healthy.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

You've often pointed out that he has a short bench, and I think he's bucking the current trend in small college basketball these days. Teams see what's going on at places such as Nova Southeastern and West Liberty, and while they might not go as all-out as that I think you'll see more teams speeding up the tempo and using 9-10 players on a regular basis. Lombardi hasn't had to face much of that in the PSAC as nobody other than East Stroud has run press much in the league in recent years. Now Gannon is going the WL way and Chris Fite, a classic half-court coach for years, has decided to adjust to this year's personnel and play faster. If Gannon has much success, I think you'll see more of it in the PSAC.

IUP continues to play strong defense, and they were successful in slowing West Liberty down in the regionals last year, but they couldn't get enough done on the offensive. Even with good defense, you're probably going to have to score at least in the 70s to be competitive with a deep, offensive-oriented squad such as WL. Just off impressions from the Notre Dame-IUP game, I think IUP will go as far as Ethan Porterfield and their three-point shooting percentages take them.
    It's by his design. Even when Joe has a legit bench, he doesn't use it. He's redshirting four players this year (including one big one they could have surely used this past weekend).

The key to this season -- right now -- is getting Brooks released from Joe's prison. He played 6 minutes combined in two games. Hopefully the point was received and all can move forward. Trust me when I say they are COMPETELY different with him on the floor. His two replacements got bounced around like ping pong balls for two nights. Brooks has a physical and explosive game. KJ and Waldo gave up so many boards that Brooks would have easily had. If he screwed up, then, yes, he had to pay the fine. Let's just pray it's not a death sentence.

It's going to be an interesting year in the KCAC. It will have some highs and lows.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Now that the delusions of grandeur of a comical preseason ranking are long gone, we can have a better sense of reality moving forward.

The good news is most things simply looked better Saturday night. I'm not talking stats ... Friday looked like a chicken with no head running around. It may have been the ugliest game ever played by IUP in the KCAC -- and also the worst coached.

One thing is absoulutely clear: Brooks needs credit for time served. He can just simply do things on the court Waldo cannot and certainly KJ cannot. Hopefully Joe got his point across and they can move forward. Without him, IUP gave up a freaking whooping 24 offensive rebounds Saturday night. That's just embarrassing. It's a lack of physical play and aggressiveness (Brooks' strength). Waldo and KJ are just too soft under the basket. When we eventually get to see the actual plan (Waldo/Brooks manning the four), that position will look better. As of this instant, the four spot is a total trainwreck.

That said, the signs are there this eventually could become a pretty decent team ... perhaps a 'tough out' to play against. I still think the ceiling is in the 20-8 range. They could be pretty good by January. This playing 5 on 4 crap has to end, though.

Keep in mind, neither of those teams we saw were very good. I'd peg both around .500 types. Consider Joe shot an abysmal 17% and still almost won Friday night. That's amazing in itself.

Thursday night is going to be a whole different animal. Walsh is an NCAA-type team this year with good size and three elite guards. I think if Brooks is allowed to play, IUP will have a shot. The defense is pretty good and with Brooks it would be that much better (and they could get some freaking rebounds). If he's still in the dog house, well, it's not going to end well. Two games of film are out now. I wonder what any good team would look to exploit against IUP with Brooks sitting on the bench? Not too hard to figure out.
    You've often pointed out that he has a short bench, and I think he's bucking the current trend in small college basketball these days. Teams see what's going on at places such as Nova Southeastern and West Liberty, and while they might not go as all-out as that I think you'll see more teams speeding up the tempo and using 9-10 players on a regular basis. Lombardi hasn't had to face much of that in the PSAC as nobody other than East Stroud has run press much in the league in recent years. Now Gannon is going the WL way and Chris Fite, a classic half-court coach for years, has decided to adjust to this year's personnel and play faster. If Gannon has much success, I think you'll see more of it in the PSAC.

IUP continues to play strong defense, and they were successful in slowing West Liberty down in the regionals last year, but they couldn't get enough done on the offensive. Even with good defense, you're probably going to have to score at least in the 70s to be competitive with a deep, offensive-oriented squad such as WL. Just off impressions from the Notre Dame-IUP game, I think IUP will go as far as Ethan Porterfield and their three-point shooting percentages take them.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

If the rumor about Brooks is true, I wonder if the doghouse is padlocked shut or if he’ll be allowed out soon?
    Normally it gets padlocked shut. Manny Yarde got into some hot water at an IUPatties party in 2015. He was a solid contributor off the bench that year. He never once saw the court in the Elite Eight after that.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

If the rumor about Brooks is true, I wonder if the doghouse is padlocked shut or if he’ll be allowed out soon?

Now that the delusions of grandeur of a comical preseason ranking are long gone, we can have a better sense of reality moving forward.

The good news is most things simply looked better Saturday night. I'm not talking stats ... Friday looked like a chicken with no head running around. It may have been the ugliest game ever played by IUP in the KCAC -- and also the worst coached.

One thing is absoulutely clear: Brooks needs credit for time served. He can just simply do things on the court Waldo cannot and certainly KJ cannot. Hopefully Joe got his point across and they can move forward. Without him, IUP gave up a freaking whooping 24 offensive rebounds Saturday night. That's just embarrassing. It's a lack of physical play and aggressiveness (Brooks' strength). Waldo and KJ are just too soft under the basket. When we eventually get to see the actual plan (Waldo/Brooks manning the four), that position will look better. As of this instant, the four spot is a total trainwreck.

That said, the signs are there this eventually could become a pretty decent team ... perhaps a 'tough out' to play against. I still think the ceiling is in the 20-8 range. They could be pretty good by January. This playing 5 on 4 crap has to end, though.

Keep in mind, neither of those teams we saw were very good. I'd peg both around .500 types. Consider Joe shot an abysmal 17% and still almost won Friday night. That's amazing in itself.

Thursday night is going to be a whole different animal. Walsh is an NCAA-type team this year with good size and three elite guards. I think if Brooks is allowed to play, IUP will have a shot. The defense is pretty good and with Brooks it would be that much better (and they could get some freaking rebounds). If he's still in the dog house, well, it's not going to end well. Two games of film are out now. I wonder what any good team would look to exploit against IUP with Brooks sitting on the bench? Not too hard to figure out.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    Originally posted by Cobra Hawks View Post
    Only issue with starting 5 is Waldo. Unless he improves over next 3 games then Damir should probably get a look in.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by Cobra Hawks View Post
    Only issue with starting 5 is Waldo. Unless he improves over next 3 games then Damir should probably get a look in.
    Waldo has to get minutes for experience. He’s really good!

Leave a comment:

• Cobra Hawks
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Thoughts:

1) Clarke is starting to settle into his roll. Great vision, great passer and attacks when he's suppose too.
    2) Only way KJ's minutes get limited is if Waldo can stay out of foul trouble.
    3) Petteno might have turned a corner second half yesterday offensively. I think previous, his shots were rushed and off balance. Second half he looked more like a SG.
    4) Ethan looks off shooting right now from all areas. FTs, 3's and around the rim. Is he pressing knowing he's the man?
    5) Dallis is THEE go to guard.
    6) Either Brooks is in that doghouse or Joe has zero confidence in him. Which is it?
    7) I think it's safe to say we can't talk Romero-Sanz unless an injury happens.
    8) I won't get into all the rubbish of KJ's game but with 38 seconds left up 9, you let him have the lay up instead of fouling and giving him 2 with the clock stopped.

Leave a comment:

• bballfan03
    replied
    A buddy of mine who is an adjunct this year at IUP said rumor is Brooks is in doghouse for missing some practices early on.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

In case you haven’t noticed, we have some high expectations around here, LOL.

In all seriousness, IUP was very close to giving this game away. Luckily NDC went cold down the stretch and also had some calls go against them.
    Notre Dame's biggest problem seemed to be that they had a couple of guys who were determined to dribble through the entire IUP offense much of the night. There were a lot of times it didn't work. It's usually not a good thing when players fall in love with bouncing the ball.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    Nice bounce back from yesterday. Clarke is going to be a better scorer at this level than I anticipated but he’s gotta shoot free throws better. Good to finally get something from Petteno after 3 rough halves. Damir Brooks gets an offensive putback for an and one and is never seen again. Puzzling. By the time PSAC play starts it seems trending toward him and Furtun only playing if fouls or injuries require them to. This is primarily a seven man team, for better or worse.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    The "4" spot is killing IUP. It sucks. No other way to say it.

Brooks played a productive two minutes. That's all.

It's a travesty. Joe needs to get his head out of his a$$

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X