Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Hated to see him go, but I understand it. He's been in Indiana for a long time. Buffalo is a step up in competition.

Joe's still going to be very strong this year but obviously they'd have been terrific had Armoni stayed.

Even though it's now mid-June I still think they are going to add a depth guard.

As of right now the four guards in the rotation will be Shawndale, Morris, Polce and Dillard. It would sure seem Dillard is now the starting PG, which is his natural position. So, Polce will be the 6th Man. Obviously Ethan and Sulaiman are the other two starters.

The immediate bench would be Polce, Diop and Brooks.

They are very excited about the two incoming freshmen. We'll see if either crack the floor this year.

Let's just hope for a healthy season. They've had two major, season-ending injuries early in both the past two full years.

The West will be down this year. To be fair, last year was probably the strongest West division in PSAC history. Consider the team that finished fourth in the West made the Regional Final.

My 'way too early' West prediction:

1. IUP - Joe's post players will be too much for most to handle. Add to it an experienced guard rotation and deep bench. If Shawndale Jones is back 100%, they'll be a Regional contender once again. Joe has his two stars underneath in Porterfield and Sulaiman, but the breakout player this year could be Damir Brooks. He redshirted last year and will give them a really big muscle guy under the basket. He's bigger than Sulaiman and can jump out of gym. Ousmane Diop deciding to stay also gives them an athletic 6'10" guy off the bench.

2. Mercyhurst - Gary lucked out when two of his three portal entrants came back. Size has hampered them the last two years. I'd imagine that was Priority One this off-season.

3. California - The two stars are gone along with the gritty Boswell, but a lot returns.

4. UPJ - Life after Fred Mulbah will be interesting. Everybody else returns but he was such a dynamic playmaker for his teammates. Their fate likely gets determined by whomever is the new PG.

5-7. These three are likely interchangeable this season: Gannon, Slippery Rock, Edinboro. All took some big losses. Check back on this after rosters post.

8. Seton Hill - The Griffins lost a lot of depth after the coaching change but did retain their top players. They will have a nice starting guard trio this winter. Their two big guys underneath are both nice players but have struggled to stay healthy.

9. Clarion - Gerald Jarmon stayed, which surprised many. But, Lawrence Lemon graduated and Connor Ferrell left via the portal. Jarmon can be a beast, but his supporting cast doesn't appear strong enough.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    So you don't consider the MAC a step up from the PSAC?

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Armoni is signing with Buffalo.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    There is a good article in The Buffalo News about Armoni's transfer to Buffalo.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    There's one big player left unsigned from the WPIAL (Jake DeMichele) but I don't think IUP went after him.

He has offers from West Liberty and a slew of other PSAC and MEC schools. I get the impression he was holding out for a D1 offer.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Not much of a secret anymore but I'd say it's 99.9% confirmed that Ousmane Diop has decided to return to IUP.

So, that puts the roster as of today at 14 players. The post is set. I could still see them add a transfer guard.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Burglund
    replied

Depending how deep you want to dive in to this, it could easily be argued Armoni had a better resume, overall, than the others on that list.

Three years:

(3) PSAC Championships
    (3) West titles
    (1) Regional Title
    (1) Final Four
    ?????* Unfortunately maybe the best team of his three years got shut down the week of the Regional due to the pandemic.
    All American
    97-9 record as a starter

His team had Regional hosting rights all three years he started.

I know there are some big names up there, but his resume is tough to beat. And, he played the final 3 months this year with a broken right hand.

A few you listed aren't in the same air with him, career-wise. Cobo, for instance, was a beast but his team's won just (2) NCAA games in four years.

Regardless, the majority of that list will all get in. But, Armoni should definitely be a 'first ballot' guy.
    I'd add Joe isn't in the conversation yet. However, Dante is. Obviously, Joe is in and should have the street named after him.

Does Anthony Glover get in the mix? Recall Anthony was the star of the famous 'island of misfit toys' team.

Dante has a mountain of stats but few NCAA wins. He did win a PSAC title his senior year. But ... his first three years weren't HOF level.

But, suffice, Dante will get in (and, should). If Wes Layton is in, Dante is a no-brainer.

Basketball is a team sport and the PG runs the show. Armoni's W/L is incredible.

You could argue Dante had similar stats to Armoni ... but that comparison ends there. Really quick. Both great careers, but ...

Maybe I'm not making my question clear.

We're talking about the hall of fame and your suggestion that Foster get in "immediately." Induction is almost entirely based on individualindividual career is worthy of IUP administration waiving the 10-year waiting period?

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied
    Is there any criteria for IUP Hall of Fame? At Bloom nominees must be out of school 10 years.

Leave a comment:

• infiniti
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

I wasn't suggesting those guys had better careers than him. Well, Webb did. I was just questioning the suggestion to waive the 10-year waiting period for Foster.

Other than being an All-American, those accomplishments you listed for are team achievements.

Webb scored more points than Foster, was the national player of the year, won more West titles and played in the same number of Final Fours as him, but he had to wait 11 years to get in.
    Basketball is a team sport and the PG runs the show. Armoni's W/L is incredible.

You could argue Dante had similar stats to Armoni ... but that comparison ends there. Really quick. Both great careers, but ...

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    I'd add Joe isn't in the conversation yet. However, Dante is. Obviously, Joe is in and should have the street named after him.

Does Anthony Glover get in the mix? Recall Anthony was the star of the famous 'island of misfit toys' team.

Dante has a mountain of stats but few NCAA wins. He did win a PSAC title his senior year. But ... his first three years weren't HOF level.

But, suffice, Dante will get in (and, should). If Wes Layton is in, Dante is a no-brainer.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

I wasn't suggesting those guys had better careers than him. Well, Webb did. I was just questioning the suggestion to waive the 10-year waiting period for Foster.

Other than being an All-American, those accomplishments you listed for are team achievements.

Webb scored more points than Foster, was the national player of the year, won more West titles and played in the same number of Final Fours as him, but he had to wait 11 years to get in.
    Webb shouldn't have had to wait! He's the only retired number in IUP history. Webb should've went in immediately as should Armoni. As far as scoring, they played two different positions. Armoni being a PG should've scored less. His job was to create for the whole team. Without looking it up, I'm sure Armoni's assists numbers are way better than Webb.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Burglund
    replied

Depending how deep you want to dive in to this, it could easily be argued Armoni had a better resume, overall, than the others on that list.

Three years:

(3) PSAC Championships
    (3) West titles
    (1) Regional Title
    (1) Final Four
    ?????* Unfortunately maybe the best team of his three years got shut down the week of the Regional due to the pandemic.
    All American
    97-9 record as a starter

I know there are some big names up there, but his resume is tough to beat. And, he played the final 3 months this year with a broken right hand.

A few you listed aren't in the same air with him, career-wise. Cobo, for instance, was a beast but his team's won just (2) NCAA games in four years.

Regardless, the majority of that list will all get in. But, Armoni should definitely be a 'first ballot' guy.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Ahead of...

Cobo Diaz?
    Brandon Norfleet?
    Julian Sanders?
    Ashton Smith?
    Derrick Freeman?
    Malik Miller?
    Devon Cottrell?
    Devante Chance?
    Marcel Souberbielle?
    Thomas Young?
    Joe Lombardi?

None of them are in. Darryl Webb will go in this fall.

Three years:

(3) PSAC Championships
    (3) West titles
    (1) Regional Title
    (1) Final Four
    All American
    97-9 record as a starter

Leave a comment:

• Matt Burglund
    replied
    I hope IUP doesn't sit around for 10 years on the Hall of Fame. He should go in immediately.
    Ahead of...

Cobo Diaz?
    Brandon Norfleet?
    Julian Sanders?
    Ashton Smith?
    Derrick Freeman?
    Malik Miller?
    Devon Cottrell?
    Devante Chance?
    Marcel Souberbielle?
    Thomas Young?
    Joe Lombardi?

None of them are in. Darryl Webb will go in this fall.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X