X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

By "redshirting" you mean "pre-transferring," right? ; )

I kid. Obviously, Ben has a few redshirts at WLU as well. I assume that both Joe & Ben believe a guy has chosen to cast his lot with their programs because he wants to be a part of something bigger in the long term. These are marquee D2 programs.

Unfortunately, in this day and age, kids would much rather play early and often for less-than-marquee programs than stay patient in order to be a part of something bigger. Sad state of affairs.

But not a single person will be the least bit surprised if 6 months from now Romero-Sanz (IUP) or Pankey (WLU) is in the portal. I hope not. I hope those guys knew what they were signing up for when they signed. But a lot can change in 6 months in this climate.
    I'd assume the sales pitch will be that he's going to take over Ethan's spot next year.

The conundrum to all of this is obviously Dolan Waldo. Waldo started the first two games of the season at SF and was billed to be one of Joe's marquee recruits (who redshirted a year ago). Problem is this has literally become (excuse the corny pun) a Where's Waldo mystery. He didn't play even a second in two games this past weekend. Damir Brooks is thankfully out of his mini suspension and the clear-cut starter at SF. But, instead of Waldo, Joe's is electing to use two guards to back up Brooks -- all the while having the big Romero-Sanz in street clothes.

It's common Joe sends a player or two to Siberia every year -- deep down the bench. But, this Waldo situation is pretty unique. They need him and they need him to get up to speed. That's hard to do, however, watching 40 minutes a night from the bench. Granted, he wouldn't have started the first couple games had Brooks not been in the dog house. But, to go from rotation player to Siberia this quickly is very alarming.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

But, he's redshirting.
    By "redshirting" you mean "pre-transferring," right? ; )

I kid. Obviously, Ben has a few redshirts at WLU as well. I assume that both Joe & Ben believe a guy has chosen to cast his lot with their programs because he wants to be a part of something bigger in the long term. These are marquee D2 programs.

Unfortunately, in this day and age, kids would much rather play early and often for less-than-marquee programs than stay patient in order to be a part of something bigger. Sad state of affairs.

But not a single person will be the least bit surprised if 6 months from now Romero-Sanz (IUP) or Pankey (WLU) is in the portal. I hope not. I hope those guys knew what they were signing up for when they signed. But a lot can change in 6 months in this climate.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

IUP is not what they've been the past few years, but they still are a pretty good club. Looks as if they'll have trouble with the resurgent Gannon and Cal (if healthy) in the West, but the rest of the division haven't looked like world-beaters so far. Mercyhurst will battle, but they are certainly beatable, and UPJ doesn't look like a contender. Slippery Rock has been erratic. The Hawks should certainly be able to handle Seton Hill, Clarion, and Edinboro.
    Joe's going to have very few easy games this year. They have enough to be a tough out and they will be much better, team- and flow-wise, by January.

But, this likely is not an NCAA team. I still think the ceiling is maybe winning a game in the conference tournament. They will be dangerous most nights. I'd like them much more with a legit big off the bench. But, he's redshirting.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

That’s a bit of an overreaction to wins over a rebuilding Shippensburg team and a quite average Lock Haven team. The West won’t be running through the KCAC this season.
    IUP is not what they've been the past few years, but they still are a pretty good club. Looks as if they'll have trouble with the resurgent Gannon and Cal (if healthy) in the West, but the rest of the division haven't looked like world-beaters so far. Mercyhurst will battle, but they are certainly beatable, and UPJ doesn't look like a contender. Slippery Rock has been erratic. The Hawks should certainly be able to handle Seton Hill, Clarion, and Edinboro.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
    So...IUP is good again?

I'm super busy this year and haven't been able to check in on the video or audio with Jack. I'm living through this wonderful message board and box scores. Seems like we're good again! The West runs through the KCAC (with 3 p.m. tipoffs)! Blast that Aerosmith because IUP. IS. BACK!
    That’s a bit of an overreaction to wins over a rebuilding Shippensburg team and a quite average Lock Haven team. The West won’t be running through the KCAC this season.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
    So...IUP is good again?

I'm super busy this year and haven't been able to check in on the video or audio with Jack. I'm living through this wonderful message board and box scores. Seems like we're good again! The West runs through the KCAC (with 3 p.m. tipoffs)! Blast that Aerosmith because IUP. IS. BACK!
    Take a deep breath. Lol. They didn't exactly beat top contenders.

But, with Damir back they are much better. There's potential.

Leave a comment:

• hawks16
    replied
    So...IUP is good again?

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

I can tell you before the game tips how it will go. That's a sign I've watched way too many D2 games. Lol.

"GQ" runs the worst crew in the league. They think we're there to watch them. They'll call a minimum of 30 fouls per half. They ruin the game every time.

They do have nice security, however, because they don't have anybody else.

It is a miserable job. I think the PSAC is paying them $300 each per game but that includes their expenses. Some of them travel like crazy from place to place.
    We had Grant, Barker, and Tortorella Saturday night. As you're the crew expert, maybe you have an opinion of them. They called a "let 'em play," game Saturday, which I'm usually in favor of, but I thought they let a bit too much go to the extent I was worried a couple of players would get hurt. Mike Dunn took an elbow to the face and was literally run over on another play without anything being called. Probably the one that drew the most reaction from the crowd was when Ship's Timmy Conner, a skinny 6-foot guard, was knocked over by a much larger player — and got called for flopping! It's unusual for Chris Fite to get too demonstrative about calls, but he got up a couple of times Saturday.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

The football side is atrocious!
    Basketball on the other hand, you know the crew and you know how the game will be called. Can't complain if the crew as a whole is consistent.
    I can tell you before the game tips how it will go. That's a sign I've watched way too many D2 games. Lol.

"GQ" runs the worst crew in the league. They think we're there to watch them. They'll call a minimum of 30 fouls per half. They ruin the game every time.

They do have nice security, however, because they don't have anybody else.

It is a miserable job. I think the PSAC is paying them $300 each per game but that includes their expenses. Some of them travel like crazy from place to place.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

To be fair, I don't think you've ever seen any complain on the basketball side of this site. As a group we don't talk about officials much other than we acknowledge some of our crews are foul happy and some don't call anything.

The football side is a much different story.
    I will give you that football is worse than basketball, and you're a reasonable poster. The basketball side is generally more civil. We certainly get some bad calls in the PSAC (and there were some whoppers in Ship's game Saturday), but they usually even out in the long term. Officiating has never been a tougher gig, and we have high school conferences in our area that can't do all their football games on Friday because there aren't enough crews. We just have to generally tone down the anger in our society a notch, and that doesn't just apply to sports officiating.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    If any IUP fans want to see how different IUP is with and without Damir, simply watch yesterday's game.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

To be fair, I don't think you've ever seen any complain on the basketball side of this site. As a group we don't talk about officials much other than we acknowledge some of our crews are foul happy and some don't call anything.

The football side is atrocious!
    Basketball on the other hand, you know the crew and you know how the game will be called. Can't complain if the crew as a whole is consistent.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
    ". . .one person that would not shut up about the refs, at least on the side I was sitting."

Wow, that's just horrible. I'e never seen any IUP fans complain about officiating on this site. ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    ". . .one person that would not shut up about the refs, at least on the side I was sitting."

Wow, that's just horrible. I'e never seen any IUP fans complain about officiating on this site. ;-)

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Nice win in a tough place to play. Very awkward gym.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X