• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
    Daaaaaaaaaaaaaan. (Yeah, Stugotz?)

A high-scoring guard from West Virginia who helped in a reserve role on a PSAC champion team. Transferred back home for more playing time and scored 13 points a game.

And just like that. Make no mistake about it.

Bryce Radford. Is. BACK!
    Excellent

Great mid-year addition

Leave a comment:

• hawks16
    replied
    Daaaaaaaaaaaaaan. (Yeah, Stugotz?)

A high-scoring guard from West Virginia who helped in a reserve role on a PSAC champion team. Transferred back home for more playing time and scored 13 points a game.

And just like that. Make no mistake about it.

Bryce Radford. Is. BACK!

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

If I’m a current player that has a chance to get NIL money I’d jump on it now because I have a feeling there’s going to be a course correction down the road. My guess is it will be in the form of direct compensation from the school and possibly tied to work study arrangements. I expect it would also be capped to help control competitive balance.

I’m not opposed to athletes getting money, but I’m not a fan of NIL and what it’s already doing to make a lot of athletic programs essentially irrelevant when it comes to competing for championships.
    NIL is a way to get outside $s into D1 P5 football. It will make a very limited number of players wealthy, it will give a wider pool of players some "pocket money" but at the end of the day, college football below the D1 P5 star level will suffer.

Same will happen with D1 basketball. Some players will make pretty good $, some will get a few scraps but most will lose our completely.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Jrshooter and I both questioned Mansfield being picked for last in the East. They've got a few guys back, and a couple of them could play for about any PSAC school. I don't think they have much height, so Porterfield might be a problem for them, plus Dillard and Clarke should match up well with their guards.
    Their PG Ali was in the Portal this summer but decided to stay. IUP looked at him but for whatever reason it didn't pan out.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Tomorrow may be tougher than we originally thought.

Mansfield has some tight losses - including an OT loss to a Dominican team that just beat WL.
    Jrshooter and I both questioned Mansfield being picked for last in the East. They've got a few guys back, and a couple of them could play for about any PSAC school. I don't think they have much height, so Porterfield might be a problem for them, plus Dillard and Clarke should match up well with their guards.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Tomorrow may be tougher than we originally thought.

Mansfield has some tight losses - including an OT loss to a Dominican team that just beat WL.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

The more success these guy have will further prompt the next group to leave.

Those guys got mad offers as soon as they entered the Portal. Tomiwa had 20+ offers (all mid-Major) in 48 hours. I'm not sure about the others but it was probably similar.

The guards are a little more tricky but the talented bigs will be gone the second they enter. Supply and demand. Guards are more dime a dozen.

I'm not opposed to NIL money at our schools. Why not (if the program has the means)?
    Didn't say I was opposed to it, just that I doubt many PSAC schools will have a lot of money to throw at it. And it probably will make competitively unbalanced leagues even more unbalance. Obviously, there are more opportunities for NIL action at some PSAC locations than others.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

Those guys got mad offers as soon as they entered the Portal. Tomiwa had 20+ offers (all mid-Major) in 48 hours. I'm not sure about the others but it was probably similar.

The guards are a little more tricky but the talented bigs will be gone the second they enter. Supply and demand. Guards are more dime a dozen.

I'm not opposed to NIL money at our schools. Why not (if the program has the means)?
    If I’m a current player that has a chance to get NIL money I’d jump on it now because I have a feeling there’s going to be a course correction down the road. My guess is it will be in the form of direct compensation from the school and possibly tied to work study arrangements. I expect it would also be capped to help control competitive balance.

I’m not opposed to athletes getting money, but I’m not a fan of NIL and what it’s already doing to make a lot of athletic programs essentially irrelevant when it comes to competing for championships.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Most PSAC teams are having enough trouble just maintaining enough scholarships to be somewhat competitive. If we have to start tossing NIL money at people, I think it will be a swift bye-bye to most of them.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

Most of the stars in the Atlantic Region did the same thing as Tomiwa last year. They all left.

Short of tossing a bag of NIL money at him, I'm not sure what else they could have done.

The only silver lining to Ethan being 50 percent last year is the fact he's still here. Had he had a big season, he'd have likely been gone, too.

Armoni Foster did the same thing the year prior. Imagine having Armoni last year for his senior season. He could have kept Shawndale in order.
    Most PSAC teams are having enough trouble just maintaining enough scholarships to be somewhat competitive. If we have to start tossing NIL money at people, I think it will be a swift bye-bye to most of them.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP1423 View Post
    During the season last year, Tony and Jack both said on the air, Tomiwa was the best player in the PSAC. I do not think trying to keep the best player in the PSAC happy a "crazy" endeavor. Regardless of other mouths to feed.
    Best player doesn’t always mean best scorer. Tomiwa was by far their best defender and an above average scorer. Their best player on the offensive end was Ethan with his inside/outside presence.

As far as keeping Tomiwa happy, a boat load of NIL cash was probably the only way and even then doubtful. No doubt he wanted to move up a level.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    During the season last year, Tony and Jack both said on the air, Tomiwa was the best player in the PSAC. I do not think trying to keep the best player in the PSAC happy a "crazy" endeavor. Regardless of other mouths to feed.
    Most of the stars in the Atlantic Region did the same thing as Tomiwa last year. They all left.

Short of tossing a bag of NIL money at him, I'm not sure what else they could have done.

The only silver lining to Ethan being 50 percent last year is the fact he's still here. Had he had a big season, he'd have likely been gone, too.

Armoni Foster did the same thing the year prior. Imagine having Armoni last year for his senior season. He could have kept Shawndale in order.

Leave a comment:

• IUP1423
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Worst part about losing Tomiwa is we didn't have him for his two best years (junior and senior seasons). Last year is a long story and different topic.

The new guys you refer to ...

Clarke has been solid and could emerge as one of the top PGs in the PSAC (he may already be there).

Petteno sure seems like a swing and a miss. Putting him under the basket isn't helping him, either.

The only other 'new' guy playing is Lambert (who Joe lifted off redshirt in Game 5). He's been fine in his limited minutes. He is a walk-on, after all. Furton is adequate for the 3 mpg he gets.

The rest of the tracksuit army hasn't played.

The problem goes back to Waldo. His benching has created a conundrum. He was supposed to split the SF job with Brooks. Now, he's gone (basically) and Joe's shifted his shooting guard down low out of necessity. Waldo is benched, Petteno is too small and slow under there, and KJ is a disaster.

Perfect example: Joe was blowing Lock Haven out. Brooks goes to bench in foul trouble. That big lead vanished in the blink of an eye. IUP's whole approach had to be dramatically altered.

This team and roster is what it is. They can't trade for anybody or shop a waiver wire. Brooks is the key cog. When he's out of the game, IUP is basically playing 5 on 4. Petteno at least brings the threat of shooting and can play a little defense. The others at the SF position aren't contributing anything. Joe seems to have finally benched KJ, too.

Denzel was injured in camp and Joe then decided to redshirt him. All we know about Romero-Sanz is he's big.

This 6 to 6.5 man rotation will work most nights in the West this year but it will get IUP killed against Gannon and Cal.
    Agreed on all accounts.

The idea that keeping Tomiwa happy based off last year is crazy. That team last year had a lot of mouths to feed. I would bet if Tomiwa would've stayed he would've been a huge part of the offense this year. Patience is virtue, especially from a sophomore! Tomiwa played heavy minutes the last two years, how could he not be happy? Makes zero sense unless he has this huge ego that he can't back up. My thought is Tomiwa wanted to try the next level.

The problem this year is the hole left because Waldo is behind o his development. Now the SF has a huge hole, it's Brooks or nobody!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    It was a very bad decision to not do everything possible to keep Tomiwa happy. I think more of the offense should have been run through him last year. A big loss for the program. The new guys have been awful other than Clark. Those evaluations of the other guys were awful. (Where are you Coach F?) Was a big miss this off-season. Kyle Polce would look good in a Hawks jersey this year. Could have been a really good team. Now we have......

Worst part about losing Tomiwa is we didn't have him for his two best years (junior and senior seasons). Last year is a long story and different topic.

The new guys you refer to ...

Clarke has been solid and could emerge as one of the top PGs in the PSAC (he may already be there).

Petteno sure seems like a swing and a miss. Putting him under the basket isn't helping him, either.

The only other 'new' guy playing is Lambert (who Joe lifted off redshirt in Game 5). He's been fine in his limited minutes. He is a walk-on, after all. Furton is adequate for the 3 mpg he gets.

The rest of the tracksuit army hasn't played.

The problem goes back to Waldo. His benching has created a conundrum. He was supposed to split the SF job with Brooks. Now, he's gone (basically) and Joe's shifted his shooting guard down low out of necessity. Waldo is benched, Petteno is too small and slow under there, and KJ is a disaster.

Perfect example: Joe was blowing Lock Haven out. Brooks goes to bench in foul trouble. That big lead vanished in the blink of an eye. IUP's whole approach had to be dramatically altered.

This team and roster is what it is. They can't trade for anybody or shop a waiver wire. Brooks is the key cog. When he's out of the game, IUP is basically playing 5 on 4. Petteno at least brings the threat of shooting and can play a little defense. The others at the SF position aren't contributing anything. Joe seems to have finally benched KJ, too.

Denzel was injured in camp and Joe then decided to redshirt him. All we know about Romero-Sanz is he's big.

This 6 to 6.5 man rotation will work most nights in the West this year but it will get IUP killed against Gannon and Cal.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X