X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I understand Brooks may have been in the doghouse and Joe had to basically not let him play those first couple games.

But, last night was the first real glimpse what he's capable of doing for this team. As you and I kept saying, he just gives them a presence down there the others do not. It's not 5 on 4 when he's in there. He's not going to launch treys but he can dunk from all over, grab tough boards and he's very difficult to move. He has to be accounted for on both ends.

I also like the move of elevating MacNamara. He's another big body and can spell EP for a run here and there.

This isn't the pile on KJ rant but Joe has to continue playing his best combination of players. KJ can have a very limited role but he can't play underneath for any extended period of time. Let Damir eat. They need him to go 25 mpg.

Petteno is another who I don't think they've found his role yet. He has upside but they need to get him in a comfortable spot.

Jaylen Stewart is the one, my opinion, who could explode. Joe needs to fully green light him. No more role player crap. Cut him loose.
    I certainly agree with you about Brooks. I thought he was a key to the game last night. I guess he must have been in the doghouse — would have rather Lombardi left him in it last night. Ship will have a hard time matching up with that type of player this season, and unfortunately he isn't the last of that type we'll see in the PSAC. Really missed the departed Carter, Johnson, and Sleva.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

IUP got most of their scoring from the paint. The three ball didn’t seem as bad bc of what the scoreboard showed.
    I understand Brooks may have been in the doghouse and Joe had to basically not let him play those first couple games.

But, last night was the first real glimpse what he's capable of doing for this team. As you and I kept saying, he just gives them a presence down there the others do not. It's not 5 on 4 when he's in there. He's not going to launch treys but he can dunk from all over, grab tough boards and he's very difficult to move. He has to be accounted for on both ends.

I also like the move of elevating MacNamara. He's another big body and can spell EP for a run here and there.

This isn't the pile on KJ rant but Joe has to continue playing his best combination of players. KJ can have a very limited role but he can't play underneath for any extended period of time. Let Damir eat. They need him to go 25 mpg.

Petteno is another who I don't think they've found his role yet. He has upside but they need to get him in a comfortable spot.

Jaylen Stewart is the one, my opinion, who could explode. Joe needs to fully green light him. No more role player crap. Cut him loose.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

IUP got most of their scoring from the paint. The three ball didn’t seem as bad bc of what the scoreboard showed.
    I was at the game and know where IUP got their points. They missed a lot of 3s, but some of the ones they made were real daggers, like the one just before half. Ship basically lost the game in the first five minutes when they looked as if their feet were in cement. Also lost the turnover battle, which turned into a lot of easy buckets for IUP. When you're getting beat on the boards, which is going to happen to Ship at times this season, you cannot afford to turn the ball over. IUP's greater physicality and the game experience of players such as Porterfield, Dillard, and Clarke made a big difference.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I was surprised their deep percentage was that low. Seemed as if they were making more than that — probably because they got so many more shots than Ship.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    94 pts yet shot a whopping 43 percent at the FT line and a terrible 20-ish percent from deep.

This FT item is officially an issue.
    I was surprised their deep percentage was that low. Seemed as if they were making more than that — probably because they got so many more shots than Ship.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Interesting game today at Lock Haven.

This is perhaps the oddest gym in the league. The Bald Eagles are pretty decent, too. They've won three straight (including beating UPJ by 14 last night). LH is usually a tough out in their building.

IUP has to play a better game on defense today, and, make some freaking foul shots. IUP is probably shooting about 50 percent from the FT line through 6 games. It's already cost them one game. That is an unacceptable stat.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    94 pts yet shot a whopping 43 percent at the FT line and a terrible 20-ish percent from deep.

This FT item is officially an issue.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

Combination of both. Joe benched a certain player finally and that certainly helped. They also opened the offense more and got out in transition today and got some easy buckets because of it. The defense lacked tonight. You can't lose their two best scorers the way they did tonight.
    Dunn had his best game ever at Ship. Crespo, leading scorer going into the game, had four points.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    More Damir and no KJ changed the offense a lot. Defense was very lazy tonight.

Did I mention no KJ???
    As the Hulkster would say ...

Amen, brother

IUP is completely different with Damir. Hopefully his little pi$$ing match with Joe is over and done. Time served

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    Brooks replaces Petteno in the starting lineup. IUP off to a 10-0 lead
    Brooks first 10 minutes he looked like an All-American

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by bballfan03 View Post

has IUP played better with the changes? Or is Ship just not as good?
    Combination of both. Joe benched a certain player finally and that certainly helped. They also opened the offense more and got out in transition today and got some easy buckets because of it. The defense lacked tonight. You can't lose their two best scorers the way they did tonight.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by bballfan03 View Post

has IUP played better with the changes? Or is Ship just not as good?
    Ship is not as good. Eighty percent of their scoring and rebounding graduated, and they were picked fifth in the Eastern Division for a reason. At this point we just don't have players who can match up physically with guys such as Porterfield and Brooks, who killed us on the boards. And IUP still has more depth at the guard position than Ship does. Crespo, one of Ship's best offensive players, sat much of the game as he couldn't check the bigger IUP guards and they were quick enough to force him into a couple of turnovers. The last play of the first half was typical as someone (I think Stewart) shot right over him. Markus Frank obviously is going to be a legit scorer for us. I wonder if we've ever had a freshman score 40 points at Ship, certainly not in his fifth game. Mike Dunn also had a terrific shooting game to help out, but Ship seems to have established a pattern of getting scoring from a couple of guys without much help from the rest of the team.

The Raiders are supposed to get a big guy transferring after the break who could help, but playing teams with big, physical guys is going to be a problem. They are playing hard while learning a new system, which is about all that can be expected of them at present.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    More Damir and no KJ changed the offense a lot. Defense was very lazy tonight.

Did I mention no KJ???

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    Wonder when was the last time 3 guys scored 20 in a game for IUP?
    Ethan, Shawndale and Armoni

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    Wonder when was the last time 3 guys scored 20 in a game for IUP?

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X