X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
    Re: IUPattys, the university -- after the "riot" incident of 2014 -- should have taken over ownership of the IUPattys name. Copyright it. It instantly becomes lame and sterile.

Also, former New Castle High School all-stater Jonathan Anderson, Mercyhurst true freshman, entered the portal yesterday. He played about every minute of every game his senior year -- wonder if Joe knows that? (also clanked a few free throws late in the MU OT win over IUP this year.)
    It became lame and sterile years ago. If it wasn't in the newspaper most wouldn't even realize it was going on.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Stewart would have been a nice luxury as a 6th or 7th man next year but it's understandable he wouldn't want to come off the bench as a senior.

Word was he and the Big Guy weren't on the best terms so this is probably a mutual break-up.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
    Re: IUPattys, the university -- after the "riot" incident of 2014 -- should have taken over ownership of the IUPattys name. Copyright it. It instantly becomes lame and sterile.

Also, former New Castle High School all-stater Jonathan Anderson, Mercyhurst true freshman, entered the portal yesterday. He played about every minute of every game his senior year -- wonder if Joe knows that? (also clanked a few free throws late in the MU OT win over IUP this year.)
    Doesn't mean Joe wants him.

Leave a comment:

• hawks16
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    James Patterson, the PF from St. Thomas Aquinas who smoked IUP this past year, has entered the Portal.

I remember that game ... thinking that dude should be in the P5 (Joe said the same).

He's going to be highly coveted (and not end up at Towson or similar).
    ​​​​

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

That's right. Didn't the admin try to purposefully schedule spring break over St. Pat's to quell the storm? (Only to have it pop up a week later)
    It's actually calmed down a lot the past several years. They turn the town in to a militarized zone with horseback patrols, helicopters flying all weekend and a really ramped up police presence. Add to it this socially awkward current generation would probably prefer the event be virtual.

Remember, per the President of IUP, it's "not an IUP event" and because it's (mostly) off-campus it's not their problem.

The event still exists but it's nothing like it was several years ago. It was insanity in the early years.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's actually next weekend (they are on Spring Break right now).

So, the local Yinzers gets St. Patrick's Day all to themselves.
    That's right. Didn't the admin try to purposefully schedule spring break over St. Pat's to quell the storm? (Only to have it pop up a week later)

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post
    Happy IUPatty's all you Crimson Hawks out there. And if you still live in Indiana, be sure to batten down the hatches!
    It's actually next weekend (they are on Spring Break right now).

So, the local Yinzers gets St. Patrick's Day all to themselves.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Happy IUPatty's all you Crimson Hawks out there. And if you still live in Indiana, be sure to batten down the hatches!

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Hard to say. That program lives and dies with transfers. The next batch is already in the works. He did get some starts due to injuries.

From what I've been told, it's not just a minutes thing with Tomiwa. He apparently just doesn't really like it there.

Like I said, if he doesn't graduate this semester, this discussion doesn't matter regardless. He's obviously already used his free transfer so he can only come back as a graduate student.

If I was betting, I'd say there's a 50/50 shot he'll be back in Indiana.

His return would be fantastic but this could be the carrot dangling in front of the rabbit.

There are some others with probably much higher probability. One, if true, will shock everybody -- in a McCoy joining the Hatfields kind of way.

I suspect Joe is wrapping his season-ending player sit-downs, and some will be told it's time to move along. We should see a couple names hit the portal this week. He has a good bit of salary cap space available to shop with this off-season so it should be exciting.

For the love of God, however, please only sign guys who have already redshirted. Joe would get a starter from Duke and somehow justify slapping a redshirt on him.

He took his beatings this year. I think they will bounc back pretty big.
    Now that Towson has lost in the CAA Semis, not really anything holding Tomiwa back from entering the portal. That is unless you have to actually have your diploma in hand to enter the portal. Heck, I don't even know if a player has to formally enter the portal to transfer.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Saraj Ali (formerly of Mansfield) is probably worth checking out.

He was PSAC Freshman of the Year in '22-'23 and was 2nd Team All-East this season.

He's a 6'5" small forward. Very athletic. Fast. Runs the floor well and has good hands. Tough rebounder and defender.

Not an outsider shooter (just 5 of 15 this year) but provides an instant upgrade at IUP's most troublesome position. He's very strong around the basket and requires attention from the other team. Proven scorer in the PSAC.
    I imagine he'll be checked out by several schools.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    BTW, Herring is a year older than most freshmen. He played at Quaker Valley and then did a post-grad year at Kiski Prep.

So, he should be a little more advanced physically than most freshmen.
    ​​​​

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Big signing today.

Ian Herring signed with IUP.

He's a 6'6" slick shooting guard from The Kiski School. Good deep shot and gets to the rim. Also a strong defender.

IUP beat out Cal (among others) for him.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 03-12-2024, 10:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Boy...To read you guys posts you'd think Tomiwa was relegated to the deep bench playing little more than mop-up duty! He's not. He averaged 18 1/2 minutes per game and got the starting nod in eight games including the last two of the season. The starting five has two players graduating so I'd say he has a better than even chance at starting for them next season should he chose to stay.
    Hard to say. That program lives and dies with transfers. The next batch is already in the works. He did get some starts due to injuries.

From what I've been told, it's not just a minutes thing with Tomiwa. He apparently just doesn't really like it there.

Like I said, if he doesn't graduate this semester, this discussion doesn't matter regardless. He's obviously already used his free transfer so he can only come back as a graduate student.

If I was betting, I'd say there's a 50/50 shot he'll be back in Indiana.

His return would be fantastic but this could be the carrot dangling in front of the rabbit.

There are some others with probably much higher probability. One, if true, will shock everybody -- in a McCoy joining the Hatfields kind of way.

I suspect Joe is wrapping his season-ending player sit-downs, and some will be told it's time to move along. We should see a couple names hit the portal this week. He has a good bit of salary cap space available to shop with this off-season so it should be exciting.

For the love of God, however, please only sign guys who have already redshirted. Joe would get a starter from Duke and somehow justify slapping a redshirt on him.

He took his beatings this year. I think they will bounce back pretty big.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Tomiwa played just 16 minutes. That's not going to fly with him.

It's time to come home and be a star again.
    Boy...To read you guys posts you'd think Tomiwa was relegated to the deep bench playing little more than mop-up duty! He's not. He averaged 18 1/2 minutes per game and got the starting nod in eight games including the last two of the season. The starting five has two players graduating so I'd say he has a better than even chance at starting for them next season should he chose to stay.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X