X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    Best game of the year. Garvin could actually be a PG because others contributed. Offense looked good and defense wasn't bad even with the couple bad mismatches.
    I thought Stewart had his best game in a very long time. Petteno was solid. KJ also had maybe his best all-around game of his career. Bryce made some big shots and EP obviously stole the show.

They had Mercyhurst guessing the whole night.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Best game of the year. Garvin could actually be a PG because others contributed. Offense looked good and defense wasn't bad even with the couple bad mismatches.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
    Great game for the guys tonight. I’m mostly happy for Ethan to leave the floor after playing a great game and with a win in his final game at the KCAC. Pretty good night for Radford too and even KJ had some moments in their last ever home game. This might have been the best all around team effort we’ve seen this year, or at least in the top three. Even if that’s as far as it goes, at least for one night it felt like what we’re used to in Indiana.
    For a night anyway it felt like old times. Smallish but very energetic crowd.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Great game for the guys tonight. I’m mostly happy for Ethan to leave the floor after playing a great game and with a win in his final game at the KCAC. Pretty good night for Radford too and even KJ had some moments in their last ever home game. This might have been the best all around team effort we’ve seen this year, or at least in the top three. Even if that’s as far as it goes, at least for one night it felt like what we’re used to in Indiana.
    Best game this year. It was nice to see.

They smothered Mercyhurst. Ethan caught fire in the second half.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Some interesting comments by Joe and Ethan in the Gazette today.

Regardless, hopefully they at least get some humans in the building tonight. I have a feeling there will be plenty of good seats available. Put it that way.

I know a lot of people who are not going tonight (regulars) but are instead going Wednesday for the (likely) IUP vs Cal game (ladies).
    I fall into this group, although I’m away for work until tomorrow night anyway so I couldn’t make the men’s game anyway.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
    Talked to one of the Mercyhurst football players (on Saturday at the WPIAL basketball championships) who was among the more boisterous fans when IUP made the trip up north last month. He said they were really giving it to No. 2.
    "I've heard he's not very good." - me
    "Yeah, he's awful." - him
    KJ is certainly the weak link in this rotation. Joe's love fest with him is a whole different topic. Being other teams don't guard him most nights is about all that needs said.

But, he's far from the only problem.

Ask yourself this: On a 'standard' Joe Lombardi team, how many of these remaining healthy guys would actually play?

Ethan and Garvin would play. That's it. The rest would be either limited rotation/role guys off the bench or would be on Joe Island 'way' down the bench.

Remember Bryce was brought back to be a guard off the bench and maybe play 10-12 mpg. The day he arrived, Dallis went down that night. Denzel wouldn't have started this year (initially) but would have been the first guard off the bench.

Consider:

Waldo - lawn ornament
    Brooks - don't get me started
    KJ - really don't get me started
    Bryce - boom or bust
    Petteno - so-so
    Stewart - vanished past 10 games
    Sarp - had to play here and there ... totally lost past month
    Lambert - Mayor of Joe Island
    McNammara - out for season
    Dallis - out for season
    Denzel - out for season
    Watson - out for season / redshirt
    Romero-Sanz - Guess my weight at the carnival / redshirt

A normal Joe team probably beats this team by 20-25 every night of the week.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 03-04-2024, 11:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
    Talked to one of the Mercyhurst football players (on Saturday at the WPIAL basketball championships) who was among the more boisterous fans when IUP made the trip up north last month. He said they were really giving it to No. 2.
    Ironically, KJ had the best game of his career up there (on offense, anyway) scoring 18 points. He was completely shredded on defense, however, as usual.

Rest assured, Gary will go right at him tonight for as long as Joe plays him (which will be about 28-30 minutes).

Leave a comment:

• hawks16
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I was thinking the same thing. That’s what it’s come to this year, sadly.

Regarding Romero-Sanz, IUPAlum is right in that we’re all guessing about him. I did see him in a side gym in the Lesley Natatorium during a practice back at the beginning of the fall semester for a few minutes and he looked like he belonged. Granted, it was a very short look because it was a closed session that I probably shouldn’t have been watching. We also don’t know what his academic plans are and what was discussed when he came here. If he’s going to be here for more than four years and knowing that IUP was retooling this season, maybe it made sense to play the long game with him, let him adjust to the environment, etc.

All guessing on my part but this and other similar scenarios are possible.
    The way I see it is Joe needs a total reboot starting this week.

I'd say the only safe players are Dallis, Garvin and Denzel.

I suspect Brooks, Waldo and Lambert leave on their own.

Stewart is complicated because unless he graduates he can't transfer (already used his freebie). I've always thought he has upside but it's becoming clear he and Joe aren't on the same page. If he stays, his best role will be as 6th or 7th man next year. He could start but he'd need a big off-season.

Sarp may be worth keeping around. Not sure. His past month has been a total disaster. That said, he is a true freshman and was by no means in the plans to ever see the court this year.

The other JUCO PG who redshirted (Watson) is on the roster. He was injured early and didn't practice much all year.

KJ, of course, still has a year of eligibility. He could stay as a grad student. It doesn't sound like he's going to, however. Joe needs a significant upgrade in his position. He could stay as like the 10th guy but that's it.

The mystery man, Romero-Sanz (who apparently ranges from 160 pounds to 230 pounds) .... well, he is a mystery.

I'd hate to see Brooks and Waldo leave but after what Joe did to them both this year I can hardly blame them.

Just remember, Joe has money. He has some strong guards coming back. He can turn this shipwreck around pretty quickly.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by PennYork View Post

Wow, "if you don't know your own team you should shut up". Should I make you a jump to conclusions mat? Do you need a nap?
    Take it for what you wish but you don't know the players! Period!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Some interesting comments by Joe and Ethan in the Gazette today.

Regardless, hopefully they at least get some humans in the building tonight. I have a feeling there will be plenty of good seats available. Put it that way.

I know a lot of people who are not going tonight (regulars) but are instead going Wednesday for the (likely) IUP vs Cal game (ladies).

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    You know it's a dandy of a season when the best conversation going is how much a redshirt freshman lawn ornament weighs.
    I was thinking the same thing. That’s what it’s come to this year, sadly.

Regarding Romero-Sanz, IUPAlum is right in that we’re all guessing about him. I did see him in a side gym in the Lesley Natatorium during a practice back at the beginning of the fall semester for a few minutes and he looked like he belonged. Granted, it was a very short look because it was a closed session that I probably shouldn’t have been watching. We also don’t know what his academic plans are and what was discussed when he came here. If he’s going to be here for more than four years and knowing that IUP was retooling this season, maybe it made sense to play the long game with him, let him adjust to the environment, etc.

All guessing on my part but this and other similar scenarios are possible.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    You know it's a dandy of a season when the best conversation going is how much a redshirt freshman lawn ornament weighs.

Leave a comment:

• PennYork
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    Some of the people on this board don't even know who the players are! Gabriel-Sanz hasn't played one minute this year. The kid is huge. Sarp has been mistaken numerous times as Gabriel-Sanz b/c he wore his number in the black jersey. If you don't know you're own team, then you should shut up!!!

Nobody has a clue what Gabriel-Sanz can do!

Sarp is a rookie train wreck.

Waldo has skill but yes, he is 150 soaking wet. He should've got more run this year.

Nobody was playing over Bryce. There wasn't one person on that bench to play over him.

I'd like to think next year Garvin will have more to work with so he isn't forcing long balls.

Monday is a hope and a prayer to beat Hurst. Joe has zero answer to stop Planutis and Reichert. Gary has to be salivating at this match up.
    Wow, "if you don't know your own team you should shut up". Should I make you a jump to conclusions mat? Do you need a nap?

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X