X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I don't know the particulars of the IUP AD. But please explain what actions he has taken that have caused the decline (failure?) of IUP football and basketball this year. I mean, he has been on board since 2019 and except for this season, both the football and basketball teams seem to have done quite well.
    It’s nuanced and too involved to tease out here, and failure is your word, not mine. The next year is critical for both sports, which happen to be the two the community invests in around here. It’s easy to lead from in front and really easy to have overly friendly relationships with the coaches when things are going well. Things aren’t so wonderful all the sudden so now it’s a different job. As I mentioned, it’s something to keep an eye on.

I think both sports could be at a tipping point right now and I wouldn’t bet on either going one direction or another. As IUPbigIndians said, football SHOULD be way better next year, but if it’s not, then what? Men’s basketball is in the middle of a rebuild now, but the problem is they didn’t really build this year and many of the building blocks coming in to the year will probably be gone next. That means it’s a significant reload for 2024-25 or they can expect similar results, and that’s easier said than done.

Interesting times.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I don't know the particulars of the IUP AD. But please explain what actions he has taken that have caused the decline (failure?) of IUP football and basketball this year. I mean, he has been on board since 2019 and except for this season, both the football and basketball teams seem to have done quite well.
    I don't know much about the IUP AD. EyeoftheHawk can discuss.

Football had the Timeout (or, lack of one) heard 'round the world ... and the train went of the tracks shortly afterward. They also lost the QB for four games and things started to snowball before eventually finishing a very disappointing 6-5.

Joe's mess is a bit more complex. Most would probably point to three key events:

(1) losing two top guards to ACL's (one in camp and the other in early December). They then lost a reserve forward for the season to a non-basketball injury. One of the guards, Dillard, is of all-league talent.

(2) the small forward position (or lack there of) has killed them all year

(3) roster management of the remaining players (not playing Brooks or Waldo, redshirting the biggest guy on the team, etc.)

Items 2 & 3 ... those topics have been discussed since opening night. They were able to 'somewhat' overcome losing two guards, but the mess at the 4 position has ruined their season.

I think Football will bounce back very quickly. We'll see about Joe's team (assuming he's here next year).

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I realize Ethan was sick on Saturday but I think this team packs it in and probably ends the year with five straight losses. I’m not suggesting they will give up, rather, they’ve been swimming upstream all season and eventually it beats you down mentally and physically. Their best chance to win again is Saturday at home against Clarion. If IUP keeps it to less than double digits at Cal I’ll be surprised. The real question after that is was this season a blip on the radar screen or the beginning of a nosedive?

There was a reference to the AD earlier. Keep your eye on that. I didn’t like the hire when it happened but we’ll see how he handles what could be long droughts of playoff success in the two major sports. To be fair it isn’t all bad as he’s made good coaching hires and some of the lesser followed (being nice) sports have done well.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I realize Ethan was sick on Saturday but I think this team packs it in and probably ends the year with five straight losses. I’m not suggesting they will give up, rather, they’ve been swimming upstream all season and eventually it beats you down mentally and physically. Their best chance to win again is Saturday at home against Clarion. If IUP keeps it to less than double digits at Cal I’ll be surprised. The real question after that is was this season a blip on the radar screen or the beginning of a nosedive?

There was a reference to the AD earlier. Keep your eye on that. I didn’t like the hire when it happened but we’ll see how he handles what could be long droughts of playoff success in the two major sports. To be fair it isn’t all bad as he’s made good coaching hires and some of the lesser followed (being nice) sports have done well.

Ethan wasn't 100 percent but he still played. SRU leading scorer Maceo Austin wasn't even dressed (Covid) and the Rock played just 6 players - and still blew IUP out of Morrow.

Watch the first 5-6 minutes. IUP storms out 15-5 (and it should have been 19-5 but they missed two gimme layups).

That's when you could hear Joe screaming to slow the pace down. It was a very odd call. Why slow the pace on a team with even less depth than you have -- especially when you have them reeling and the crowd is out of the game.

My guess is he was trying to play slow for Ethan but in reality that now-slower pace was perfect for SRU to recover. And, they sure did.

It was just another questionable decision in a season full of them.

SRU then started a huge run and IUP didn't call any timeouts.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Danny's never going to have a better shot at blowing Joe out of the arena than he will against what remains of this patchwork team - and, believe me, if the opportunity exists, he's going to run it up.

IUP has really lost its juice the past couple weeks. That's a common theme for Joe's teams. Even the majority of good Joe teams get worn out by now due to his lack of depth development.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Yes. I was just tossing out a positive spin for Wednesday.

Personaly, I think IUP loses by 23+

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

IUP really had to muck up and ugly the first game. They'll have to do that again to have a shot. If the game goes track meet Joe will get smoked.

Cal is just vastly deeper and its starting five causes IUP far too many matchup problems.

The Vulcans have a gigantic mismatch with Bryson Lucas (perhaps the best SF in the West) against KJ. Jermaine Hall is also difficult for Ethan to cover as he plays almost like a jacked up, 6'4" guard rather than a post player. Then, of course, you also have Palek coming in off the bench at 6'8" or so (who can be an elite trey shooter and flopper).

Bryce needs a Bryce night. McClurg shut him down in the first game.

As you said, it will be a physical game. Nobody on the IUP roster is better geared for that than Damir Brooks, and then probably Petteno. I'll stop right there as it's likely just wishful thinking.

Brooks should not only start this game but play as many minutes as he can until he fouls out. KJ's size and skill set just doesn't fit against Cal.

​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by PennYork View Post
    Limit the fouls and turnovers (especially on the inbound passes) Hawks can win on Wednesday. It was physical game last meeting and will be again.
    IUP really had to muck up and ugly the first game. They'll have to do that again to have a shot. If the game goes track meet Joe will get smoked.

Cal is just vastly deeper and its starting five causes IUP far too many matchup problems.

The Vulcans have a gigantic mismatch with Bryson Lucas (perhaps the best SF in the West) against KJ. Jermaine Hall is also difficult for Ethan to cover as he plays almost like a jacked up, 6'4" guard rather than a post player. Then, of course, you also have Palek coming in off the bench at 6'8" or so (who can be an elite trey shooter and flopper).

Bryce needs a Bryce night. McClurg shut him down in the first game.

As you said, it will be a physical game. Nobody on the IUP roster is better geared for that than Damir Brooks, and then probably Petteno. I'll stop right there as it's likely just wishful thinking.

Brooks should not only start this game but play as many minutes as he can until he fouls out. KJ's size and skill set just doesn't fit against Cal.

​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Limit the fouls and turnovers (especially on the inbound passes) Hawks can win on Wednesday. It was physical game last meeting and will be again.
    Petteno didn't dress the first Cal game. Damir never entered the game.

That particular game I think IUP wins had Damir played.

That said, that was then. IUP is going downhill quick.

I suspect they do bounce back Wednesday (providing EP isn't sick) but the end result likely won't be good.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    You can say that about any game!

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
    This year's foosball and basketball seasons are what happens when you hire an AD who went to Slimey Pebble and not an IUP person.
    lol

Leave a comment:

• PennYork
    replied

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied
    2 x 60-47 !!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Cobra Hawks View Post

I think you've alluded to Tomiwa coming back previously. Regardless of whether he does or not with 2 new post players, where does that leave Damir, Waldo, Calum and Gabriel?

Well, you need four bigs (ideally) in the rotation.

Damir and Waldo will be long gone (portal) in the opinion of most. If Joe wanted either long-term he wouldn't have benched them all year. Calum is a walk-on. He may stick around and be a deep bench guy. Romero-Sanz ... I could see him staying but it wouldn't shock me if he leaves.

Leave a comment:

• Cobra Hawks
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Well, Joe's an ego maniac (and his ego has taken a beating this year) so if he does return I can promise it's not going to be with a cast of high school kids. I also agree I don't think he'll go out with this mess as his last dance.

I suspect Garvin, Dallis, Denzel, Stewart and Sarp all return. That's a pretty solid guard group. He'll add a transfer shooter.

The rest of the roster will likely leave. Maybe Romero-Sanz will stay.

He's really only 'replacing' one post player next year (EP). The SF position really didn't exist this year so he'll just be shopping for an actual SF. Let's just pray he doesn't want the 5'9" Jordan Lambert to convert to forward. Lol.

There are some exciting rumors out there about two post players, but, that's all they are at this point. If true, however, things change real quick (and Joe's back in a hurry).
    I think you've alluded to Tomiwa coming back previously. Regardless of whether he does or not with 2 new post players, where does that leave Damir, Waldo, Calum and Gabriel?

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X