• Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Joe may get blown out of Morrow

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Joe saving his timeouts for next year. Goodness. Rock on huge run.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Damir massive block. Let that boy eat. Finally.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Brooks gets in. Two giant boards.

Back to the bench 40 seconds later.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUsuallyPonder View Post
    Most of the astute PSAC watchers thought this wasn’t IUP’s best team, but I don’t think anyone thought they would see so much disappointment. To me, there are a few factors:

1) Poor Recruitment - Too many misses on the recruiting trail.
    2) Poor Management - Not using the best players won’t win many games. Too many bad coaching decisions don’t help either.
    3) Poor Player Development - For those returning, there isn’t much improvement.

One bad season happens, that’s the reality, but being nearly fully funded, and having one of the highest paying coaches on staff, I’d have to think the leash isn’t long if there’s a repeat (or maybe a retirement is forthcoming).

Who knows, maybe God just doesn’t like this team?

What am I missing? What do you think?

In somewhat order of events:

1) Tomiwa decided to leave. That single event changed the entire season - and left a gapping hole at the SF position.

2) Said hole wasn't addressed and has remained an incredible weakness all year. So bad, in fact, opposing teams ignore it -- choosing to rather double and triple team Porterfield.

3) The recruiting class, to this point, has been a disaster (aside from Garvin Clarke, and, at times Sarp).
    - Josh Petteno, originally thought to be a showcase addition, was forced to play a forward role and isn't suited for that position. He also had an awful first two games at the SG spot and was quickly morphed to end-of-rotation role player.
    - Denzel, a highly sought after transfer, was lost for the season in camp with a knee injury.
    - Romero-Sanz was redshirted on a team that (I have to believe) knew it had major problems under the basket.
    - Jordan Lambert (walk-on) was redshirted but then activated. All he did was produce on the offensive end but was quickly vanished to Siberia.
    - Sarp was a decent late signing and has upside. However, in a normal year he'd have never seen the floor as a true freshman.
    - Watson is a JUCO PG transfer and also redshirted. He was also injured.

4) Dallis Dillard going down with an ACL was a total disaster. He is one of the best two-way players in the league. This took a likely all-conference player out of the lineup (and 38 mpg).

5) McNarmarra returning from the holiday break lost for the season -- just when he was starting to see minutes. He's raw but that took a powerful 6'7", 230 lb forward out of the rotation.

6. Where's Waldo? The highly-touted recruit not only started opening night but took the game-winning shot attempt out of a timeout. He missed and quickly after was sent to Siberia. How the most-hyped high school recruit in some time was given up on after two games is still baffling.

7. By now you are seeing a theme at the small forward position. KJ started the season as Ethan's backup (and EP plays 38 mpg). Do the math.

8. Damir Brooks was benched the first two games of the season after being named a starter in camp. He's the perfect size and highly productive. Problem is (and, it's a big problem) he doesn't play. This, my opinion, ruined their season.

9. Instead of the physically-imposing, strong and athletic Brooks, KJ starts at SF and Petteno backs him up. One minor detail is both are at best 6'3" and, well, were brought here to be guards. And, remember, the giant Romero-Sanz and Brooks are sitting on the bench.

10. Dillard's injury forced Jaylen Stewart in to the starting lineup. Stewart has been adequate but was much more productive off the bench. They needed (need) much more scoring from him.

11. Bryce Radford came out of retirement to be a guard off the bench. His first day in Indiana was when Dillard was hurt. He went from role-playing sniper to 37 mpg starter. While he's had some monster games, he's also totally vanished in some. Defensively, the 6'4" Dillard is vastly better. Dillard is also an elite rebounder.

12. Aside from EP and Garvin (and sometimes Bryce) IUP has no offensive production.

13. If Brooks isn't going to play, Petteno should be playing way more than he does.

This season is toast as is. Even with the injuries, it didn't have to be this bad.

Move KJ back to EP's backup and split the SF between Brooks and Petteno. See what happens. IUP would look like a totally different (much better) team.

This team is better than 16-9. It should be at least 19-6 right now. It has to be coached to win. I'm not sure that is happening when your best lineup doesn't play.
    ​​​​

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by IUsuallyPonder View Post
    Most of the astute PSAC watchers thought this wasn’t IUP’s best team, but I don’t think anyone thought they would see so much disappointment. To me, there are a few factors:

2) Poor Management - Not using the best players won’t win many games. Too many bad coaching decisions don’t help either.

One bad season happens, that’s the reality, but being nearly fully funded, and having one of the highest paying coaches on staff, I’d have to think the leash isn’t long if there’s a repeat (or maybe a retirement is forthcoming).

I don't think anyone thought this season was going to be anywhere close to the last few but there has been some disappointing things that are very unexplainable.

1) Damir being a fixture on the bench every game. He's got all the intangibles to being a star rebounder and wreck shop on the defensive end, especially the top of the press.

2) KJ getting star minutes and he's not even good enough to start on a PSU Branch Campus. No team defends KJ because he is that bad.

3) Joe giving up on Petteno when he started off ice cold to start the year. I can see the kid has a good skill set at the 2/3 spots BUT in Joe's eyes he'd rather play him to spell KJ at the 4. What a joke!

4) Joe giving up on Waldo so easily. He went from starter/game winning shot against Concord to lawn ornament. Why isn't he getting some minutes to gain some experience?

5) McNamara being a fall down drunk ruined his season.

6) Dallis's torn ACL just sucks.

7) Stewart's inconsistencies are puzzling but it probably would've helped him if Dallis was still playing.

8) Romero-Sanz being red shirted is odd when they have zero size.

9) Not sure what Denzel's role would've been but I heard he had star potential before the injury.

THe Positives:

1) Garvin Clarke was a great find.

2) Ethan is still dominating even with the double and triple teams.

3) Bryce coming out from behind a desk job to set 3 point records.

4) Sarp does some bone headed things but he is developing with some sold promise for next year.

Leave a comment:

• IUsuallyPonder
    replied

Last edited by IUsuallyPonder; 02-23-2024, 05:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Bobby Bowden. Joe Paterno. Joe Lombardi.

Guess that likely ended any slim chance you guys had of making the NCAAs. Hey, my school isn't even going to make the PSAC tourney. After a great effort against East Stroud Saturday, they go on the road and get blown away at West Chester. One of the stranger seasons I've ever seen in the PSAC, and I've seen a few of them.

Leave a comment:

• IUP1423
    replied
    I sat behind the bench last night. There was a recruit in the building last night. He was a man, not a high school student. Anybody see that? Anybody got a name?

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
    The sun came up today. Hopefully we’re all feeling a little better.
    Nope, still pissed! Joe's refusal to play his best line up pisses me off. His line of BS that he sees these guys at practice everyday just irritates me. What happens at practice doesn't always translate to REAL GAME ACTION!!! KJ might be a good practice player but he sucks in REAL GAMES!!! Damir might suck in practice but he sure as hell looks way better than KJ in REAL GAME ACTION!!! I'd also be willing to bet Petteno would start to shoot better if he got to play the 3 spot where he belongs and then was actually allowed to shoot. Getting 6 broken up minutes won't get any player in a rhythm.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    The sun came up today. Hopefully we’re all feeling a little better.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Yikes
    My favorite part is when you leave a guard like Sean Dillon open at least 7 times.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 02-22-2024, 05:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Praise Jesus and Praise KJ.

Amen
    Yikes

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

What’s the synopsis? I was not listening on the radio and didn’t hear his remarks.
    Praise Jesus and Praise KJ.

Amen

I'm actually glad they lost tonight.

I just feel bad for Ethan to go out in this sh!t show.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Joe's post game speech made me want to puke!
    What’s the synopsis? I was not listening on the radio and didn’t hear his remarks.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X