X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

No doubt. My post was in the IUP thread so that's why it was Joe-centric.
    (Plus, my reference to Carter was specifically related to the local kid. There's no doubt that each coach has near-misses among recruiting classes that go on to good careers, but when a star player lives less than 25 minutes from your campus, those ones really sting. You don't even need a hotel room to go and scout his games!)

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
    Pretty sure most colleges teams can talk about the "ones that got away" at one time or another. Ship has certainly had its share of those.
    No doubt. My post was in the IUP thread so that's why it was Joe-centric.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

I’m rooting like heck for KJ to shock us all. A team full of good shooters with Clarke to facilitate and Brooks to do the dirty work doesn’t sound too bad if everything pans out.
    KJ plays hard. He's just not a forward. He's way too small. He 'might' be 6'4". Opposing teams ignore him, making it 5 v 4. If he truly did improve that much, other teams at least shouldn't be able to ignore him this year.

They are still sight-unseen so you're right. Joe never, ever talks about taking losses. That's not a good sign.

But, this isn't his first rodeo. They also didn't play any exhibitions so he does have the element of surprise. Perhaps that's the card he's playing.

The great Johnny Lawrence says ... The best defense is more offense.

I'll say this, they better get through this weekend. Walsh and St. Thomas Aquinas may thump them.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

Nice way to vomit in the morning.
    I’m rooting like heck for KJ to shock us all. A team full of good shooters with Clarke to facilitate and Brooks to do the dirty work doesn’t sound too bad if everything pans out.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
    Interesting info from the preview article in the Gazette today. A few things stood out to me:

- Still no mention of Romero-Sanz. Every other player on the roster was mentioned but him and MacNamara. Something is up there.
    - “We may have to lose a few games before we get an edge defensively. We’re spending less time on defense. You want to practice everything, but there’s only so much time.”
    - “KJ probably made the best improvement from last year,”
    - “We have two elite shooters with him and Ethan and lot of other good shooters. We’ll shoot it better than we have in the past so we’ll shoot with more con- fidence. That held us back from being an elite offensive team last year. We’re seeking improvement, and I’m optimistic.”

Joe is pretty good at this when he has time to think through the questions so it’s hard to say what he’s really thinking about on these points. The quotes about offense and defense are really interesting, however. I think the grinding nature of being a defense first team is ultimately what led to IUP’s demise last year. They were out of gas, darned near got knocked off in the first round of the NCAA’s, and couldn’t score enough to keep up with an elite offensive team. Joe’s best teams were very good on defense, but not elite like last year’s. Those teams were also significantly better on offense. Looks to me like he’s turning back the clock there, which probably isn’t a bad idea.

For the KJ fans, you’ll be happy to know he’s made the best improvement from last year. :)
    Nice way to vomit in the morning.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied
    Interesting info from the preview article in the Gazette today. A few things stood out to me:

- Still no mention of Romero-Sanz. Every other player on the roster was mentioned but him and MacNamara. Something is up there.
    - “We may have to lose a few games before we get an edge defensively. We’re spending less time on defense. You want to practice everything, but there’s only so much time.”
    - “We have two elite shooters with him and Ethan and lot of other good shooters. We’ll shoot it better than we have in the past so we’ll shoot with more con- fidence. That held us back from being an elite offensive team last year. We’re seeking improvement, and I’m optimistic.”

Joe is pretty good at this when he has time to think through the questions so it’s hard to say what he’s really thinking about on these points. The quotes about offense and defense are really interesting, however. I think the grinding nature of being a defense first team is ultimately what led to IUP’s demise last year. They were out of gas, darned near got knocked off in the first round of the NCAA’s, and couldn’t score enough to keep up with an elite offensive team. Joe’s best teams were very good on defense, but not elite like last year’s. Those teams were also significantly better on offense. Looks to me like he’s turning back the clock there, which probably isn’t a bad idea.

For the KJ fans, you’ll be happy to know he’s made the best improvement from last year. :)
    So the “him” in that last quote is KJ? What a fun twist that would be.

I’m calling my shot right now. Feel free to remember this and mock me mercilessly if I’m wrong. If Romero-Sanz is in a tracksuit tomorrow, he’ll never play for IUP.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Pretty sure most colleges teams can talk about the "ones that got away" at one time or another. Ship has certainly had its share of those.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

You often talk about Carlos Carter as one who got away (local Indiana high school product). I wonder if Howlett will one day consider Mitchell as one who got away. He went to a rural Ohio school just across the river from WLU. Obviously, no one begrudged Kobe's desire to try out D1 when he went to Akron, but his return to D2 at a non-WLU school has to sting a bit. Unless, of course, WLU's staff just didn't see his playing style as a fit for WLU's style (which is totally a possibility).
    I could tell you some recruiting stories that, looking back, are hard to believe.

IUP has passed on some players who wanted to come here that give people like me a heart attack lol. But, hindsight is always perfect.

They've also had some wild finds. How Cobo Diaz got here from the Canary Islands is quite the story. Daddy Ugbede's recruiting story is crazy.

Brandon Norfleet did his own recruiting to get here as a transfer.

It's funny to look back over the years. Joe had one collassal miss in his tenure in Dustin Sleva.

Obviously, he's also had a lot of home runs. He's also had some busts in the transfer wire to go along with several star imports.

Two names that landed elsewhere were (allegedly) oh so close to coming to Indiana -- Amir Hinton and Micah Till. Stories for another time. I remember being 99.9% sure they had Hinton signed.

As for Carlos, they had Malik Miller and Armoni Foster at the time. Joe doesn't stockpile certain positions (to our pain). He may have said no, but I sure as hell would have tried everything to keep him in town.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Something for next week:

Walsh defeated D1 Oakland in an exhibition. Their new Akron transfer, Kobe Mitchell, scored 32 points.

This past Monday, Oakland lost to Ohio State by just 6 points.

Also of note, Walsh's game at IUP next Thursday will tip-off at a rare 8 p.m. start time.
    You often talk about Carlos Carter as one who got away (local Indiana high school product). I wonder if Howlett will one day consider Mitchell as one who got away. He went to a rural Ohio school just across the river from WLU. Obviously, no one begrudged Kobe's desire to try out D1 when he went to Akron, but his return to D2 at a non-WLU school has to sting a bit. Unless, of course, WLU's staff just didn't see his playing style as a fit for WLU's style (which is totally a possibility).

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Something for next week:

Walsh defeated D1 Oakland in an exhibition. Their new Akron transfer, Kobe Mitchell, scored 32 points.

This past Monday, Oakland lost to Ohio State by just 6 points.

Also of note, Walsh's game at IUP next Thursday will tip-off at a rare 8 p.m. start time.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Cobra Hawks View Post
    Starting 5 photos on IUP athletics Insta account??? Dallis, Jaylen, Ethan, Josh and Dolan
    I'd call that random photos being posted. Not a chance Garvin Clarke isn't starting.

The one thing you can see in those pics is Romero-Sanz is dressed during the scrimmage (you can see some others in tracksuits).

Leave a comment:

• Cobra Hawks
    replied
    Starting 5 photos on IUP athletics Insta account??? Dallis, Jaylen, Ethan, Josh and Dolan

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

He’s definitely not what you’d call silky smooth, that’s for sure.

I was thinking of him as more of a banger that might get a putback basket or two and cause some problems on defense. I do recognize that it may be a bit of a leap. The Diop situation still baffles me.
    So does Jaheim Bethea and Kyle Polce

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

If Joe never gave Diop a shot then there is no way an uncoordinated MacNamara gets in for meaningful minutes.
    He’s definitely not what you’d call silky smooth, that’s for sure.

I was thinking of him as more of a banger that might get a putback basket or two and cause some problems on defense. I do recognize that it may be a bit of a leap. The Diop situation still baffles me.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X