X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Was this the game that Devante Chance hit a layup in the waning seconds of a tie game? May have been like 2-3 seconds left. SRU threw up a heave at the buzzer that was off the mark. I remember that one. That was a fun game with a great crowd.
    Mathis scored the layup with I think 3 seconds left. That game was a war. IUP won, 66-64. I don't think there was ever more than 4 points separation.

Too to bottom, that was one of my favorite games ever in the KCAC. Regular season-wise, I think it was the best atmosphere in building history.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

LOL

I'd have to look it up but I'd guess without question.

His most famous technical cost them their shot to finally win in Indiana back in '13-'14. That night was the toughest I've ever heard an IUP crowd go after a coach. It started in warm-ups. He finally just lost it with about 90 seconds to play.

He did an incredible job at Point Park last year. It won't be long until he's back in the West.

As for this upcoming game, his team won't be a pushover. They are dramatically better than the PSU-Altoona types. I suspect they will stay within 20 or so. They played Walsh tough last year for about 30 minutes or so.

I do find it somewhat odd Joe took the game. Him and KR weren't exactly close friends. Time heals, I suppose.
    Was this the game that Devante Chance hit a layup in the waning seconds of a tie game? May have been like 2-3 seconds left. SRU threw up a heave at the buzzer that was off the mark. I remember that one. That was a fun game with a great crowd.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    Depth is what I worry about. Are they deep? We'll never know because Joe always ends up playing 7 guys then KJ as 8. WHY???
    Joe loves some KJ

KJ and his five positions aside, Joe does have five solid guards. I'd have to think Dillard, Stewart and Clarke start, with the SG and Denzel off the bench.

Underneath he'll play Ethan 32 mpg. Waldo and Brooks will both play. Brooks can't go more than 15 mpg. He'd foul out. We'll see in Romero-Sans plays right away in some capacity.

I think Joe could go (9) deep although we know that won't happen. KJ would be the 10th man in that scenario.
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 10-03-2023, 02:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Depth is what I worry about. Are they deep? We'll never know because Joe always ends up playing 7 guys then KJ as 8. WHY???

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Roster is posted.

No surprises other than Joe signed a PG from Turkey that none of us knew about. He played a post-grad year in the States last year so he's a year older than the typical freshman.

With a little over a month to opening night there's next to no buzz about this team. Perhaps that's a good thing.

Talking to some in the know, most seem to think this is a 20-8 type bubble team.

A few think this will be a pretty strong team.

I have no opinion yet.

Positives:

* Way less hype
    * They got bigger, faster and more athletic overall
    * He's deeper (not that it matters as he'll only play 7 guys).
    ​​​​​​* Joe addressed the PG issue. Word is this guy from Akron is legit.
    * Ethan Porterfield is fully healthy.
    * Joe added a big, pure SG that they desperately needed.
    * Dallas Dillard and Jaylen Stewart should both emerge as go-to players

Negatives:

* Lot of new faces
    * Tough early schedule. Expect growing pains.

Leave a comment:

• hawks16
    replied

LOL

His most famous technical cost them their shot to finally win in Indiana back in '13-'14. That night was the toughest I've ever heard an IUP crowd go after a coach. It started in warm-ups. He finally just lost it with about 90 seconds to play.

He did an incredible job at Point Park last year. It won't be long until he's back in the West.

As for this upcoming game, his team won't be a pushover. They are dramatically better than the PSU-Altoona types. I suspect they will stay within 20 or so. They played Walsh tough last year for about 30 minutes or so.

I do find it somewhat odd Joe took the game. Him and KR weren't exactly close friends. Time heals, I suppose.
    Maybe Kevin asked to be an assistant coach and they mended fences over Levity brews and Subs n Suds

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by hawks16 View Post

Does he still hold the record for KCAC technical fouls?
    LOL

Leave a comment:

• hawks16
    replied
    Point Park at IUP

Kevin Reynolds returns.
    Does he still hold the record for KCAC technical fouls?

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Point Park at IUP

Kevin Reynolds returns.
    Bring the house down heckling him.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Point Park at IUP

Kevin Reynolds returns.

Leave a comment:

• IUP1423
    replied
    Game of the year: January 29th

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Walsh at IUP

Nov. 16

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPHawks24 View Post

I’m more with IUP24 on this one. There has been essentially little to no parity in the West the last 4 seasons.

IUP: 80-7
    Mercyhurst: 67-20

Those are the conference records over the last four full seasons, which excludes 2020-21. 2021-22 was an exception with Cal, and then there’s been some solid UPJ and Slippery Rock squads, but even in that 2021-22 season, the standings don’t really bare out any type of parity.

Like you mentioned, Cal made the Sweet 16 after coming in 4th, but Mercyhurst made the Elite Eight in 2018-19 after coming in 3rd, and that year had three or four poor teams in the division, so I’m not sure that’s a good indication of a competitive, balanced league. I actually thought the PSAC this past year was solid- West Liberty was just on a different level in the tournament. I don’t think Mercyhurst or IUP played particularly well against them, but they were also superior to both teams.

Unless Joe’s got some late August magic, I think this year ends up much different due to the reasons outlined above. Both perennial powers have had a lot of turnover, so I think they have a much better chance of losing games to UPJ, Slippery Rock, Seton Hill, Gannon. But that might have as much to do with IUP and Mercyhurst not being Top 5/20 teams as much as it has to do with the other teams getting substantially better.
    I guess it's just hard for me to buy into the idea of a division being a gauntlet when there's been two teams who have been so clearly head and shoulders above everyone else for so long. I think the league will be more competitive, but I think that's mainly because IUP and Mercyhurst aren't the elite teams they've been. I'm sure Clarion and Gannon will be better, but there improvement, and the emergence of Cal and SRU as being "hyped teams," isn't enough for me to say on August 17, that the PSAC West will be a gauntlet.

Edit: IUP could still be really good, maybe even great. But I guess I'm not there yet on 8/17.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPHawks24 View Post

I’m more with IUP24 on this one. There has been essentially little to no parity in the West the last 4 seasons.

IUP: 80-7
    Mercyhurst: 67-20

Those are the conference records over the last four full seasons, which excludes 2020-21. 2021-22 was an exception with Cal, and then there’s been some solid UPJ and Slippery Rock squads, but even in that 2021-22 season, the standings don’t really bare out any type of parity.

Like you mentioned, Cal made the Sweet 16 after coming in 4th, but Mercyhurst made the Elite Eight in 2018-19 after coming in 3rd, and that year had three or four poor teams in the division, so I’m not sure that’s a good indication of a competitive, balanced league. I actually thought the PSAC this past year was solid- West Liberty was just on a different level in the tournament. I don’t think Mercyhurst or IUP played particularly well against them, but they were also superior to both teams.

Unless Joe’s got some late August magic, I think this year ends up much different due to the reasons outlined above. Both perennial powers have had a lot of turnover, so I think they have a much better chance of losing games to UPJ, Slippery Rock, Seton Hill, Gannon. But that might have as much to do with IUP and Mercyhurst not being Top 5/20 teams as much as it has to do with the other teams getting substantially better.
    My point was this is going to be the first year in forever that A) IUP isn't the favorite and B) there could be some pretty good teams in the West this year.

Let's actually breakdown this massive turnover:

Attrition: Shawndale Jones and David Morris

Portal (of any relevance): Tomiwa Sulaiman, Kyle Polce, Jaheim Bethea

Letter winners returning: Ethan Porterfield, Jaylen Stewart, Dallis Dillard, Damir Brooks, KJ Rhodes
    Redshirt activation: Dolan Waldo

Those gone:

Shawndale did a lot of great things but the program needed to move on from him. Things became way too 'playground' in the second half last year and he led the charge. Whatever we watched from mid-January on last year was not IUP Basketball. Shawndale touch ball Shawndale shoot ball. Good teams knew that.

David is a major loss on both ends of the floor.

Tomiwa is a major loss on both ends of the floor.

Polce was a role player that never played much.

Bethea never played beyond December. I think Joe gave up on him too early, but that's history now.

Those here in '23-'24:

Ethan Porterfield returns and is healthy. A healthy EP gives Joe the best big man around to start the reload.

Dallis Dillard has been a dynamite defender and this year his diapers come off on the offensive end. He's one of the best shooters in the program. This year he'll be allowed to, you know, actually shoot.

Jaylen Stewart was converted to PG last year but will return to his natural SG position. Very smooth shot to go with his 6'5" frame. He became a very strong defender as the season wore along.

Garvin Clarke is the first true PG at IUP in some time. He's a bigger and faster Fred Mulbah per all reports. Joe is extremely excited about him. Very tough defender. Plays with an edge.

Josh Petteno - A proven D2 scorer (with several 30+ point games on his resume). Big outside shooter at 6'4". Very intelligent player/student.

Dolan Waldo - Said to be Joe's prized young phenom. Do-it-all SF. Hopefully he bulked up some this off-season. Redshirted a year ago.

Denzel Kabasele - Big (6'4") shutdown defender at the guard position. Also has a nice shot and is a great driver. Picked IUP over a lot of strong D2 programs. Very fast.

Damir Brooks - The 'muscle' off the bench. Trouble staying clean (Daddy syndrome). Played very well at times as a redshirt freshman a year ago but was raw.

Gabriel Romero-Sanz - Skilled Euro-style big. Not going to redshirt per reports. He'll be the fourth big -- at least to start the season.

KJ Rhodes - We all know Joe loves some KJ. Not sure where Magic will play but I know he WILL play. He is a nice utility player off the bench.

Anthony Watson - JUCO PG transfer will backup Clarke. He could be a redshirt candidate.

Jordan Lambert - High school PG recruit ... likely will redshirt.

Walk-on No. 1 - likely a local from the Heritage Conference

Walk-on No. 2

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    There's been a little buzz around town that Joe may have a late addition to the upcoming roster. Nothing confirmed yet. As usual, they'll be the last to post the roster and schedule.

Kind of a strange feeling for August ... not quite sure what to expect this season. I think this team could be pretty good by January or so. The hype of past years isn't here. It's all shifted over to the football side. Maybe that's a good thing.

I do think Joe brought in a good class and was pretty selective on the transfers. They added some specific skill sets -- a natural PG, a proven SG, a big, defensive guard. He addressed a lot of major needs -- weaknesses from a year ago.

This team should be night and day faster than last year. But, it's still a lot of new pieces. Ethan looks like he's back to his old self. He was a warrior last year but probably played at 60% the whole season. Damir Brooks had a big off-season -- and physically looks like he should be starting at DE for Tort. Dolan Waldo is likely to be Joe's next breakout star at the SF position.

This team is entering the season with the most unknowns since the 'island of misfit toys' team back in '15-'16. While they haven't announced any exhibition games yet, I sure hope they play at least one (preferably two). These guys need some time together against opponents they don't know. It's a very deep and talented roster -- take that for whatever you may under Joe's coaching style. I suspect some growing pains could lie ahead in November. If he can get them all on the same page by the time West play starts ... never know. We'll see. The West is going to be a gauntlet (unlike last year).

IUP also isn't the favorite in the West this year for the first time in forever. That's good. I think they lost a little chip last year.
    I don't know if they'll be the last to post the roster. Ship's final roster has yet to be posted, and the team has been in Italy the past week. Just hope he's bringing in some height, or this year could be tough to watch, especially with the typically tricky early schedule they've lined up.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X