Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    I was expecting to see Redshirt Joe pony up for another student bus tomorrow night. Guess not.

I have more concerns about this trip to Greensburg than I did for SRU or ESU. I thought they were going to hammer the Rock and would be up for the Warriors.

Strange stuff happens down there. Luckily they've had a few days away to come back down after two highly emotional games.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Perhaps sometimes but ESU looked like the more-gassed team in the second half. IUP doesn't press but plays a lot of really good guys. I agree with IUPAlum. It was all to disrupt their rhythm and it worked.
    Good points. I did not watch the game. I was rambling on using the context of wlu opponents, when wlu is on the verge of a blackout.

From watching esu vs wlu last year, i thought their press was a work in progress.
    Esu had 26 turnovers with wlu forcing 13 steals. Wlu had 16 turnovers with esu forcing 4 steals. Esu had 10 assists while wlu had 24 assists. Of course, every year has new players so it may not be all that relevant.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

A lot of truth to that. Brooks has a lot of talent but yes, he needs to get stronger and also develop a shot. Right now he’s no threat offensively other than dunks and lay ups!

Brooks is a pretty strong dude now and he's a redshirt freshman. He could be a total house in a year or two. I think he could turn in to an offensive of version Daddy Ugbede by his junior year. He's already a better defender than Daddy was (mainly because Daddy was instant foul trouble on the defensive end).

I'd agree his shooting likely needs work (he does have a nice FT shot). However, his threat is these crazy dunks and layups. He's not a surprise anymore on the floor. These teams are paying more attention to him as they don't want to end up on a poster. The advantage he is bringing is others are getting less attention. I know the dunk is only two points and the same as a layup, but there's still something about his dunks that really gets the crowd and team fired up. He's their 'highest flyer' since Tevin Hanner. His defense has also improved dramatically since November. He's playing more and more which shows the big guy is starting to trust him. It's been a long time since Joe's had a third, quality big. He's become a very nice luxury. Him giving the team 8-12 quality minutes is huge.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Good points.
    Traditional wisdom says to inbound ball asap before team sets up the press. However, wlu instantly transitions from offense to defense so that strategy does not work. They guard the closest player to them regardless of position.
    imho the stalling is a fatigue mitigation tactic, like retying your shoes during a stoppage of play. It buys time for the aerobic energy system to generate fuel for the depleted anaerobic energy systems.
    Perhaps sometimes but ESU looked like the more-gassed team in the second half. IUP doesn't press but plays a lot of really good guys. I agree with IUPAlum. It was all to disrupt their rhythm and it worked.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post
    Once or twice we've actually seen a referee become fed up with obvious stall tactics and start his count even before the ball is in the inbounder's hands. Not sure if the rules actually give him that discretion or not, but we've seen it a few times. But more often than not, the refs call it by the letter of the law and don't start the count until the inbounder is set. And I think that's why WLU has somewhat pridefully started the "stand over the ball" move. As if to say: "you wanna stall . . . we're still right here waiting to trap you."

But you're right. Just pausing to take a breath can be beneficial to a team in remaining composed against attempts to enforce chaos. In IUP's case, I suspect they have the experience to remain composed whether they stall or not. I'm not sure the stall can make uncomposed players gain composure. A team like D&E will try to stall WLU and then still give it away as soon as they inbound it.

Composure can't be found in a tactic; it has to be found in the mind of mature/experienced players. And IUP has those in spades. Rock: maybe not so much.
    Good points.
    Traditional wisdom says to inbound ball asap before team sets up the press. However, wlu instantly transitions from offense to defense so that strategy does not work. They guard the closest player to them regardless of position.
    imho the stalling is a fatigue mitigation tactic, like retying your shoes during a stoppage of play. It buys time for the aerobic energy system to generate fuel for the depleted anaerobic energy systems.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Once or twice we've actually seen a referee become fed up with obvious stall tactics and start his count even before the ball is in the inbounder's hands. Not sure if the rules actually give him that discretion or not, but we've seen it a few times. But more often than not, the refs call it by the letter of the law and don't start the count until the inbounder is set. And I think that's why WLU has somewhat pridefully started the "stand over the ball" move. As if to say: "you wanna stall . . . we're still right here waiting to trap you."

But you're right. Just pausing to take a breath can be beneficial to a team in remaining composed against attempts to enforce chaos. In IUP's case, I suspect they have the experience to remain composed whether they stall or not. I'm not sure the stall can make uncomposed players gain composure. A team like D&E will try to stall WLU and then still give it away as soon as they inbound it.

Composure can't be found in a tactic; it has to be found in the mind of mature/experienced players. And IUP has those in spades. Rock: maybe not so much.

I remember the regional 3-4 years ago when ESU played WL at the KCAC. I think WL won in OT (if I recall correctly). I sat in the front row of that game and got tired watching it. lol. I was actually worried for the officials' health.

Good Lord was that a fast-paced game. That was interesting to see two teams that play the same style (basically) go at each other at full speed.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Teams in the MEC have been doing that to WLU for years now. To the point where it doesn't bother WLU.

In fact, WLU has started to "punch back" on that gamesmanship by often standing over or near the ball that's rolling around under the hoop; therefore, in the opponent's attempt to slow walk to the ball they have to nudge their way past a WLU player to get it. It's almost like WLU's way of showing that the slow walk isn't bothering them and to try to bother the opponent right back. Just meeting gamesmanship with gamesmanship.

Interesting that ESU is still bothered by that. Perhaps not enough PSAC teams have tried the slow-walk approach on them yet.

Now, I will say: in the Wheeling game, something that did seem to bother the Toppers in their efforts to play fast was that the dang nets kept getting pinned up causing the refs to have to whistle, stop play, and recruit a player to jump up and free the net. Happened about 6 times in that game (and I haven't seen it happen in any other game yet this year).

If buying and installing extra long nets that are prone to getting pinned (or perhaps putting stick-um on the underside of the rims) was part of Wheeling's gamesmanship maneuvering, then hats off to them for finding a new way to frustrate the Toppers. (Kinda like the Rock clock issues that IUPbig has mentioned always seem to happen when IUP visits Morrow).
    Well, the biggest thing was IUP's defense really shut ESU down. They were averaging in the low 90s or high 80s and IUP held them to barely breaking 50 points. IUP's defense is very suffocating.

But, based on the frustration, I don't think they see the 'stall' tactic very often in the PSAC. They may going forward.

I guess it's up to interpretation if it's even a 'stall' ... it's legal and the pressing team is just trying to get you sped up. You just simply aren't buying what they are selling. I suppose it depends which side of it you are on. The 'stall' eliminates much of the chaos the pressing team hopes to create. For instance, Slippery Rock fell in to the chaos hook, line and sinker against ESU, where as IUP controlled the pace of that game for probably 39 of the 40 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    I thought the genius thing Joe did yesterday was stall every inbound pass after an ESU score. That visibly irritated the Warriors. Did you notice how slow Shawndale was to get the ball every time? That wasn't a coincidence.
    Teams in the MEC have been doing that to WLU for years now. To the point where it doesn't bother WLU.

In fact, WLU has started to "punch back" on that gamesmanship by often standing over or near the ball that's rolling around under the hoop; therefore, in the opponent's attempt to slow walk to the ball they have to nudge their way past a WLU player to get it. It's almost like WLU's way of showing that the slow walk isn't bothering them and to try to bother the opponent right back. Just meeting gamesmanship with gamesmanship.

Interesting that ESU is still bothered by that. Perhaps not enough PSAC teams have tried the slow-walk approach on them yet.

Now, I will say: in the Wheeling game, something that did seem to bother the Toppers in their efforts to play fast was that the dang nets kept getting pinned up causing the refs to have to whistle, stop play, and recruit a player to jump up and free the net. Happened about 6 times in that game (and I haven't seen it happen in any other game yet this year).

If buying and installing extra long nets that are prone to getting pinned (or perhaps putting stick-um on the underside of the rims) was part of Wheeling's gamesmanship maneuvering, then hats off to them for finding a new way to frustrate the Toppers. (Kinda like the Rock clock issues that IUPbig has mentioned always seem to happen when IUP visits Morrow).

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

Wednesday night is not going to be an easy trip. The Seton Hill campus will be juiced up for this one. That's a tough building when it's packed ... and, it will be packed. Remember their PG didn't play in the first game. He's good.

That said, unlike some past IUP teams, I think this one actually enjoys playing in hostile road environments. Tomiwa and Shawndale seem to embrace it.
    Seton Hill is 8-2 at home, but they’ve dropped two of their last three. I like IUP by double digits in this one. The only concern is whether or not IUP is looking ahead to next Monday’s showdown at Mercyhurst. Having Seton Hill and Gannon sandwiched between ESU and Mercyhurst will present a motivational challenge and it’s probably better that they’re going to Greensburg. I expect a relatively uninspired IUP team at home next Saturday when they host Gannon.

Realistically, IUP’s most likely games to get a blemish on the perfect record is up at Hurst or down at Cal in the finale. I don’t expect UPJ to be as tough of a game as it was in their building.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    I thought the genius thing Joe did yesterday was stall every inbound pass after an ESU score. That visibly irritated the Warriors. Did you notice how slow Shawndale was to get the ball every time? That wasn't a coincidence.

They handled the press pretty well for the most part. It was a non factor for long stretches.

If they do play again the next meeting would be in their building or a neutral court. The East hosts the conference Final Four this year.

Wednesday night is not going to be an easy trip. The Seton Hill campus will be juiced up for this one. That's a tough building when it's packed ... and, it will be packed. Remember their PG didn't play in the first game. He's good.

That said, unlike some past IUP teams, I think this one actually enjoys playing in hostile road environments. Tomiwa and Shawndale seem to embrace it.
    Ok, so the stall tactic was part of the plan. I won't disagree with that. The stall was to keep ESU out of rhythm. I'm not so certain that ESU's was not effective with the press. The press can't be effective if you can't get in it. ESU didn't score a lot so without scoring you can't get into the press. IUP did struggle at times with the press and I blame Shawndale for that. Numerous times he could've run the baseline to inbound the ball and he didn't. That created easier attack angles for ESU and also not getting the ball to the receiver as fast.

IUP will see the full court press again at some point. I don't mind the stall tactic but by god you have to run the baseline to create easier passes.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

They handled the press pretty well for the most part. It was a non factor for long stretches.

If they do play again the next meeting would be in their building or a neutral court. The East hosts the conference Final Four this year.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Good points from someone who’s seen more of ESU. I actually don’t think they’re terribly well coached in terms of being able to play multiple styles and beating teams with similar talent. As you mentioned, they rely on cheap buckets and wide open looks generated by pressure. When that’s not happening, and it doesn’t against the likes of IUP or other more balanced teams, you see the result. Their lowest point total before yesterday was 73. Well, IUP held them to 20 less than that! ESU missed some easy ones yesterday but so did IUP. ESU shot 41% and IUP shot 44% so neither team shot it terribly well. In addition to just being a better team, IUP also out-coached ESU as I imagine Lock Haven did the other night.
    After the first 5-6 minutes I gave up trying to figure out who was in the game for them. You can definitely see how they'd just tire out teams with a short bench (like when they rocked UPJ).

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

He made some catches yesterday that made Tort salivate.

I think Tort would die to have Brooks and Tomiwa on the football team.
    A lot of truth to that. Brooks has a lot of talent but yes, he needs to get stronger and also develop a shot. Right now he’s no threat offensively other than dunks and lay ups!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Seeing Brooks in person is different than on the broadcast. I think he’s listed at 6’6”. He plays bigger than that. I think there’s opportunities for him to get stronger and add some muscle to his frame as well.
    He made some catches yesterday that made Tort salivate.

I think Tort would die to have Brooks and Tomiwa on the football team.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X