X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It was baffling that Ian Grady stayed in that press. It was a waste of time (and their energy).

I think SRU could be a good pressing team (if they did it consistently and got way better at it). They have the athletes. It was designed for the coffin corner trap but they were so slow getting to the corner all night it was just useless.

I'm glad they ran it all night. Obviously ESU's press is way better, but it at least exposed IUP to dealing with a version of it all night.
    Having seem both play against Ship, I think East Stroud has much better talent than Slippery Rock, although I admit to being influenced by the fact that the Raiders handled Slippery Rock and were handled by East Stroudsburg. But Ship doesn't match up well with East Stroud this season. West Chester, with its quick bigs and ability to play street ball, exposed the ESU press somewhat. Watching Shepherd's guard play last night, I can see why they gave ESU a problem as well. The Rams' McClain-Corley might be the slickest guard I've seen this season, and he's been lights out from three-point range.

Since IUP combines skilled bigs with experienced and talented depth at guard, they should match up very favorably with the Warriors. The key to beating ESU is holding down Carlos Pepin and Lakeem McAliley.
    Last edited by Ship69; 01-26-2023, 08:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

It just shows what this IUP team is when they’re interested. Well, they were interested last night and if we’re being honest, Slippery Rock was never really in this game. They never threatened IUP, never made a sustained run, and other than not just packing it in and keeping it under 20, they were outclassed from the opening tip. That gym may have been packed but it was the IUP contingent that could be heard loud and clear. You can expect attendance in that building through the rest of the season to be about 250.

Okay, enough picking on SRU. Time to focus on the big one on Saturday when ESU comes to down. I’m not sure why they’ve dropped off, but the Warriors aren’t playing like they were a few weeks ago when they showed signs of dominance. Their scoring average has dipped while their defense has slipped. That said, I expect them to play well this weekend with a chance to knock off #1. I do think this is a bad matchup for ESU. IUP can come at you with a wave of excellent guards that can handle the press. Even IUP’s bigs can handle the ball and can also pass well. Slippery Rock’s press looked silly against IUP. I think they forced one turnover with it all night.

It was baffling that Ian Grady stayed in that press. It was a waste of time (and their energy).

I think SRU could be a good pressing team (if they did it consistently and got way better at it). They have the athletes. It was designed for the coffin corner trap but they were so slow getting to the corner all night it was just useless.

I'm glad they ran it all night. Obviously ESU's press is way better, but it at least exposed IUP to dealing with a version of it all night.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    IUP did tonight exactly what so many past Joe teams haven't done up there: take control immediately and take that massive crowd completely out of the game.

They announced 2,400-some but that was light. It was jammed in there. After the women's debacle, Morrow was ready for a party. IUP slammed that door shut.

SRU's lone mini run came when Joe took both Ethan and Tomiwa out. I think they cut it from 19 to 11 at that point.

Joe had them ready to play. It was clear they looked at Monday as the get it over with game. Lot of intensity tonight.

I thought the Rock played hard. They didn't lay down and kept pushing even when that game was on the fringes of a run away.

IUP's lone flaw was probably getting a little cute in the second half. Had they kept the hammer down they probably win by 30. Defensively that was one of their best games this year. SRU has a lot of weapons. That's not an easy team to keep in the 50s (they put up 97 on Cal).

Great, engaged IUP crowd up there ... Easily 250-300. Maybe more.

Rock still does all its little petty crap. They won't say 'IUP' ... It's Indiana all night. That goes back to Dr. Evil. They also announced IUP's starting lineup in less than 8 seconds. That irritated IUP.

But ... they won't say IUP but they sure heard the chant in the second half.
    It just shows what this IUP team is when they’re interested. Well, they were interested last night and if we’re being honest, Slippery Rock was never really in this game. They never threatened IUP, never made a sustained run, and other than not just packing it in and keeping it under 20, they were outclassed from the opening tip. That gym may have been packed but it was the IUP contingent that could be heard loud and clear. You can expect attendance in that building through the rest of the season to be about 250.

Okay, enough picking on SRU. Time to focus on the big one on Saturday when ESU comes to down. I’m not sure why they’ve dropped off, but the Warriors aren’t playing like they were a few weeks ago when they showed signs of dominance. Their scoring average has dipped while their defense has slipped. That said, I expect them to play well this weekend with a chance to knock off #1. I do think this is a bad matchup for ESU. IUP can come at you with a wave of excellent guards that can handle the press. Even IUP’s bigs can handle the ball and can also pass well. Slippery Rock’s press looked silly against IUP. I think they forced one turnover with it all night.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    IUP did tonight exactly what so many past Joe teams haven't done up there: take control immediately and take that massive crowd completely out of the game.

They announced 2,400-some but that was light. It was jammed in there. After the women's debacle, Morrow was ready for a party. IUP slammed that door shut.

SRU's lone mini run came when Joe took both Ethan and Tomiwa out. I think they cut it from 19 to 11 at that point.

Joe had them ready to play. It was clear they looked at Monday as the get it over with game. Lot of intensity tonight.

I thought the Rock played hard. They didn't lay down and kept pushing even when that game was on the fringes of a run away.

IUP's lone flaw was probably getting a little cute in the second half. Had they kept the hammer down they probably win by 30. Defensively that was one of their best games this year. SRU has a lot of weapons. That's not an easy team to keep in the 50s (they put up 97 on Cal).

Rock still does all its little petty crap. They won't say 'IUP' ... It's Indiana all night. That goes back to Dr. Evil. They also announced IUP's starting lineup in less than 8 seconds. That irritated IUP.

Great game tonight!

You say the only flaw was the 4 guards with Brooks. To me that was Joe trying some things out. That group couldn't rebound which is why the gap was thinned a little. No biggie. That's the time to try somethings.

My flaw is that the three point shooting is still struggling. They have to get that fixed.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    **** Slimey Pebble.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

There's a high school around here that does it that way. It has to do with proximity to the locker rooms (i.e., one bench provides easier access to the women's locker room, and the other bench more proximity to the men's locker room). Might be a situation like that. But definitely odd to see something like that at the college level.
    It's a bit odd for sure.

I actually like Morrow Field House. The parking sucks but it's a nice throwback to an older era. They've updated it nicely. It's extremely bright inside. Retton is like that down at Fairmont. It's always nuts the nights IUP is there, too, which makes it a great atmosphere.

It's funny watching on the live feed how some of these gyms look so dark and then you go to Morrow or Retton in person and need sunglasses. Gannon's broadcast, aside from being 1983-Atari-fuzzy, is extremely dark.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Just a reminder for those attending ... The IUP men and women use different benches up there. It's strange but true.

i.e. the women use the bench near the entrance ... the men then use the other end.

So, if you want to sit behind the teams ... You just move in between games. Obviously that's a Rock thing and not IUP's decision. It is the only school that does it that I'm aware.
    There's a high school around here that does it that way. It has to do with proximity to the locker rooms (i.e., one bench provides easier access to the women's locker room, and the other bench more proximity to the men's locker room). Might be a situation like that. But definitely odd to see something like that at the college level.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Just a reminder for those attending ... The IUP men and women use different benches up there. It's strange but true.

i.e. the women use the bench near the entrance ... the men then use the other end.

So, if you want to sit behind the teams ... You just move in between games. Obviously that's a Rock thing and not IUP's decision. It is the only school that does it that I'm aware.
    Hurst used to do the bench switch before they did the remodel. Now they both use the same bench.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Rock had a 2 hour delay today but it looks like they only got no more than an inch. Should be fine. But you're right, even in good weather 422 at night can be rough.
    It's a go.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Rock had a 2 hour delay today but it looks like they only got no more than an inch. Should be fine. But you're right, even in good weather 422 at night can be rough.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Sounds like they filled up about half the fan bus as of last night. Hopefully they get some more today.

Not sure if the typical IUP 'townie' crowd will make the trip or not. It appears the forecast be be better by mid-afternoon.

I still wouldn't be shocked if they play this game tomorrow rather than tonight. But, that decision would have to drop here pretty quickly.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
    The winter storm looks like it will be pretty much through by mid-day. I’m not sure how late in the day the league goes before deciding on playing a game, but it looks like things should be clear well before tipoff.
    I'm going to watch it tomorrow. I'd like to go up. That ride back across 422 can be a biatch in bad weather. I've went up the past 4-5 years. Always entertaining.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    The winter storm looks like it will be pretty much through by mid-day. I’m not sure how late in the day the league goes before deciding on playing a game, but it looks like things should be clear well before tipoff.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X