Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So far Stewart, Waldo and Lambert have left.

Ethan, KJ and Bryce are done.

Petteno has a year available but it's not confirmed if he's staying.

So, Joe certainly has some salary cap room available.

Ian Herring is signed and he likely didn't come cheap. He had a ton of offers so he's likely on a full ticket.

Comment

• The federal FAFSA fiasco will probably impact all recruiting this time of year. Old FAFSA was complex but ran like an old well lubricated machine. New FAFSA is simple but the rollout has been bungled. Huge delays in federal and state Depts of Ed telling schools who qualifies for what aid. Nobody at this level gives out aid without knowing what free money the player gets from the government. Combination of federal and state grants could be a half scholarship at a PASSHE school.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
        The federal FAFSA fiasco will probably impact all recruiting this time of year. Old FAFSA was complex but ran like an old well lubricated machine. New FAFSA is simple but the rollout has been bungled. Huge delays in federal and state Depts of Ed telling schools who qualifies for what aid. Nobody at this level gives out aid without knowing what free money the player gets from the government. Combination of federal and state grants could be a half scholarship at a PASSHE school.
        You mentioned before grad students come with less of a hit on the 'salary cap'. How does that work?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

You mentioned before grad students come with less of a hit on the 'salary cap'. How does that work?
          Most graduate transfers take on Grad Assistantships which help decrease the costs of tuition and it pays the student/athlete. I'm sure Petteno had one and my niece is getting one this year at Boro as a Grad Transfer for soccer.

That's also how Fee turned Gannon around so quick. He said all this in an article a few weeks back.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Most graduate transfers take on Grad Assistantships which help decrease the costs of tuition and it pays the student/athlete. I'm sure Petteno had one and my niece is getting one this year at Boro as a Grad Transfer for soccer.
            This, as long as they have an assistantship. 17.5 hours a week in a university office at $11/hr gets them a full tuition stipend. They pay fees and expenses, but technically athletic money could cover that. Used to be a rare thing when grad classes were on evenings and weekends but now most are online. Without an assistantship, they're more expensive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

This, as long as they have an assistantship. 17.5 hours a week in a university office at $11/hr gets them a full tuition stipend. They pay fees and expenses, but technically athletic money could cover that. Used to be a rare thing when grad classes were on evenings and weekends but now most are online. Without an assistantship, they're more expensive.
              Bingo

Comment

• I think Jayson Harris (formerly of Clarion) will go low D1.

If that isn't the case, Joe should go all in.

Comment

So far Stewart, Waldo and Lambert have left.

Ethan, KJ and Bryce are done.

Petteno has a year available but it's not confirmed if he's staying.

So, Joe certainly has some salary cap room available.

Ian Herring is signed and he likely didn't come cheap. He had a ton of offers so he's likely on a full ticket.
                  Several schools will be looking around, Ship among them, and I think Millersville is up to about six in the portal now. PSAC rosters are going to have a very different look next season.

Comment

• I assume Joe is recruiting hard. Only returner of note is Clarke. Others are Dillard (hopefully fit and a starter if so), Furton (very green and looked out of sorts on more than a few occasions) and Brooks (who knows as not clear if he is in Joe's dog house or not, didn't get any where near enough minutes he deserved last season). The rest are unproven and unknowns. Will be a very different line up (again!)

Comment

• When you see Jerrod Calhoun going from Youngstown State to Utah State, how much do you think Joe wishes he had kicked the tires (or had his tires kicked) for a DI head coaching gig?

Comment

• Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
                        When you see Jerrod Calhoun going from Youngstown State to Utah State, how much do you think Joe wishes he had kicked the tires (or had his tires kicked) for a DI head coaching gig?
                        When Jerrod got the YSU job, Lombardi was their first choice. He turned the job down.

Guess who Calhoun ultimately beat out for the job?

Danny Sancomb.

I wonder if he'll try for it again.

Comment

When Jerrod got the YSU job, Lombardi was their first choice. He turned the job down.

Guess who Calhoun ultimately beat out for the job?

Danny Sancomb.

I wonder if he'll try for it again.
                          There’s a reason they didn’t hire Danny the first time and while he’s had some nice seasons at Cal, he hasn’t put a single trophy in the case. I can’t imagine he’d be a strong candidate this time around if he were interested. Saying that, how attractive is the YSU job?

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

There’s a reason they didn’t hire Danny the first time and while he’s had some nice seasons at Cal, he hasn’t put a single trophy in the case. I can’t imagine he’d be a strong candidate this time around if he were interested. Saying that, how attractive is the YSU job?
                            It's attractive to a D2 HC as it's the next step up the ladder.

Danny is 5-6 years older now.

Calhoun got the low-major checked off. Now he's at a legit mid-major. Next step is the bright lights ($$).

Comment

• Joe never actually recruits any available transfers that many of us want him to, but, here's to hoping.

1) K.J. McClurg (SG / Cal) - Checks every Joe box on both ends of floor. Reigning West POY. Two years' eligibility. Prolific scorer and very strong defender. Intelligent player.

2) Jayson Harris (PF / Clarion) - Day 1 starter. Physical player 6'8", 220 lbs) who can score and defend. Fast. Prototype power forward. Two years' eligibility.

3) Saraj Ali (SF / Mansfield) - He would be the perfect wingman to go alongside Harris.

Comment

Joe never actually recruits any available transfers that many of us want him to, but, here's to hoping.

1) K.J. McClurg (SG / Cal) - Checks every Joe box on both ends of floor. Reigning West POY. Two years' eligibility. Prolific scorer and very strong defender. Intelligent player.

2) Jayson Harris (PF / Clarion) - Day 1 starter. Physical player 6'8", 220 lbs) who can score and defend. Fast. Prototype power forward. Two years' eligibility.

3) Saraj Ali (SF / Mansfield) - He would be the perfect wingman to go alongside Harris.
                                Two years of eligibility for McClurg and Harris is attractive to go along with their skillsets. That was one of the things that was attractive about Garvin too. It will be nice having him back next season.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X