• Show
Clear All

• Dirtybird
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post
    You guys are talking about where Malik fits on your All-IUP team. Meanwhile this: https://hilltoppersports.com/news/20...-the-year.aspx

If you ask me, your guy Malik got robbed. Bolon certainly had a nice season, and I didn't balk at his winning conference POY (although, NBA-wannabe Bledsoe did have a pretty dominant statistical year). But there's no way I saw Bolon as the top guy in the whole Region. If you'd have asked me last week who would win the Regional POY, I would have said Malik Miller in a heartbeat. I might have even said Biss was #2 before getting to Bolon.

Again, don't get me wrong, I love watching Bolon play and I appreciate the effort he puts out every night. But it just didn't seem like he had that dominant, opponents-plan-for-you kinda year this year. Definitely happy for him. But surprised the Senior Miller--who had to be neck-and-neck with him in voters' eyes--didn't get the nod.

But it's also entirely possible that I fail to appreciate what Bolon brings because I'm privileged to watch him every night out.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    You guys are talking about where Malik fits on your All-IUP team. Meanwhile this: https://hilltoppersports.com/news/20...-the-year.aspx

If you ask me, your guy Malik got robbed. Bolon certainly had a nice season, and I didn't balk at his winning conference POY (although, NBA-wannabe Bledsoe did have a pretty dominant statistical year). But there's no way I saw Bolon as the top guy in the whole Region. If you'd have asked me last week who would win the Regional POY, I would have said Malik Miller in a heartbeat. I might have even said Biss was #2 before getting to Bolon.

Again, don't get me wrong, I love watching Bolon play and I appreciate the effort he puts out every night. But it just didn't seem like he had that dominant, opponents-plan-for-you kinda year this year. Definitely happy for him. But surprised the Senior Miller--who had to be neck-and-neck with him in voters' eyes--didn't get the nod.

But it's also entirely possible that I fail to appreciate what Bolon brings because I'm privileged to watch him every night out.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post

Been busy....but still lurking...but obviously not posting much...Now I have some time on my hands, don't we all..... Message boards are good for social distancing...

Good points about those 4 players...so you still putting Malik in your top 5? not arguing, just curious how you rate...

May be before your era, but if you look at single seasons or some delineation, Paul Newman scored 1000 points in 2 seasons....early 90's

My 'first team' would have (7) players (as that's the new trend in such things). These are mainly single season, eye test, etc. (not career stats)

Rodney Horton
    Dennis Mimms
    Misenko
    Webb
    Jacobo Diaz
    Malik Miller
    DeVante Chance

"Sixth Men" - Ashton Smith, Brandon Norfleet, Mike Beckles, Mathis Keita, Marcel Souberbielle, Steve Menifee, DeWayne Anthony

When it's all said and done, Armoni Foster may be better than all of them.

If you get in to 'career' ... that's more difficult. For instance, DeVante Chance really didn't become the DeVante that we remember until about half way through his Junior season.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Right. This won't be the last time that a new virus emerges and there's a pandemic. They've happened before. It's happening now. And it will happen again. All of what's going on now sets a scary precedent. That said, none of us will think about sports if somebody we know, or if we personally contract the virus. But I'll add, the crowd saying, "it's just sports" is blindly off base.

For many, sports is their livelihood - and I'm not talking about the athletes making millions of dollars. Ushers, ticket takers, vendors, etc... Their income is now gone indefinitely. The restaurants, bars, other establishments outside sporting venues are going to be hit incredibly hard by this. The owners of these businesses rely on the fans coming to their establishment to make their money, to pay their employees, and to feed their own families. The waiters, waitresses, and bartenders at these places make their money primarily from tips. People aren't coming anymore. They are losing their income.

Think about the NCAA Tournament. A city like Albany isn't a massive metropolis. Them getting to host the first two rounds of the NCAA Tournament was a big deal. Think of the money that comes into those hotels and other establishments around the city because you have fans from 4-8 teams in your city for 4 days. That destroys their economy.

Then you think of the players. I think we're all too blinded by "big time" college athletics. Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, etc... At the Division 1 level, imagine being a kid who played for Dayton or San Diego State. That was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Paul Zeise spoke at length about this last night. His daughter is a junior basketball player at Stony Brook. They were 28-3 and set to play Maine in the America East championship for the right to go to the NCAA Tournament tonight. He talked about how devastated she was. She may never get that chance again. It's sad for all of those players, but it was a decision that needed to happen.

I think there's a couple of things that people are going to realize here....

1) I don't think people quite realize how much of a driver sports really is to the economy of our country. I think the "it's just sports" crowd will realize that.

2) I think for sports fans, we'll realize just how much we really live our lives around sports.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I guess you'd have different categories based on how long a player was here. If you go by single seasons ... Rodney Horton and Dennis Mimms are on every list. Everybody on these lists also always forgets about Mike Beckles and Steve Menifee.

BTW, where the hell have you been?
    Been busy....but still lurking...but obviously not posting much...Now I have some time on my hands, don't we all..... Message boards are good for social distancing...

Good points about those 4 players...so you still putting Malik in your top 5? not arguing, just curious how you rate...

May be before your era, but if you look at single seasons or some delineation, Paul Newman scored 1000 points in 2 seasons....early 90's

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post

I haven't watched enough of Malik Miller's career to know if he is on the first team in the last 30 years of IUP Basketball...

Curious, IUP big though, who does Malik Miller bump from this team of 5 IUP Players (and I"m probably missing a few).

Misenko
    Darryl Webb
    Devante Chance
    Ashton Smith
    Norfleet

These in top 5?
    Keita?
    McClain?
    I guess you'd have different categories based on how long a player was here. If you go by single seasons ... Rodney Horton and Dennis Mimms are on every list. Everybody on these lists also always forgets about Mike Beckles and Steve Menifee.

BTW, where the hell have you been?

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied
    So ... in theory a new season began yesterday.

Those returning in 2020-21 for what will be a loaded IUP roster:

Guards

David Morris
    Armoni Foster
    Shawndale Jones
    Anthony White
    Bryce Radford
    K.J. Rhodes

Ethan Porterfield (6'9")
    Tommy Demogerontas (6'8" and will play all five positions at times)
    Ousmane Diop (6'10")
    Shawn Ulrich (6'8")

Walk-ons

Dylan Benton
    Anthony Glover Jr.

As of now, Joe's recruiting class this year will be comprised of one player. There's only one spot. By my count of the above, they have (9) scholarships being used -- which leaves one full ride. Ulrich and Anthony White combine for one full ride. The others -- I believe -- are on full ticket.

So, the question becomes if you can take one guy in what will be a National Title push ... what position? Joe likes to stay stocked up for the future so I assume it will be a multi-year transfer. Although, there is already a name floating around who would be a one-year guy at the small forward position.

They really like both Rhodes and Radford. Both could have played this year as true freshmen. Radford was lost for the season in camp and Joe decided to redshirt Rhodes due to a lack of available minutes. By all accounts I'm told Diop will be a Day 1 starter next winter.

To add a guard this off-season ... would really just have to be the perfect fit. I'm kind of leaning toward a Chucky-type playmaker/defender.

Make no mistake, expectations will be through the roof next November. This is likely a preseason Top 3 team.
    Will IUP and WL land in Preseason Top 5 next year? or Top 3? WL loses no one...and adds the 2nd highest scoring player in OHIO HS basketball history.... Crazy how much d2 talent within 2 hours of each other!

Leave a comment:

• IUP Extra Mile
    replied
    Can't beleive the ending ... but, in three decades of watching IUP basketball ... Malik Miller is on my First Team.

We never got to see his final act, but make no mistake, he's one of the best players to ever play here. That says a lot.

I haven't watched enough of Malik Miller's career to know if he is on the first team in the last 30 years of IUP Basketball...

Curious, IUP big though, who does Malik Miller bump from this team of 5 IUP Players (and I"m probably missing a few).

Misenko
    Darryl Webb
    Devante Chance
    Ashton Smith
    Norfleet

These in top 5?
    Keita?
    McClain?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    So ... in theory a new season began yesterday.

Those returning in 2020-21 for what will be a loaded IUP roster:

Guards

David Morris
    Armoni Foster
    Shawndale Jones
    Anthony White
    Bryce Radford
    K.J. Rhodes

Ethan Porterfield (6'9")
    Tommy Demogerontas (6'8" and will play all five positions at times)
    Ousmane Diop (6'10")
    Shawn Ulrich (6'8")

Walk-ons

Dylan Benton
    Anthony Glover Jr.

As of now, Joe's recruiting class this year will be comprised of one player. There's only one spot. By my count of the above, they have (9) scholarships being used -- which leaves one full ride. Ulrich and Anthony White combine for one full ride. The others -- I believe -- are on full ticket.

So, the question becomes if you can take one guy in what will be a National Title push ... what position? Joe likes to stay stocked up for the future so I assume it will be a multi-year transfer. Although, there is already a name floating around who would be a one-year guy at the small forward position.

They really like both Rhodes and Radford. Both could have played this year as true freshmen. Radford was lost for the season in camp and Joe decided to redshirt Rhodes due to a lack of available minutes. By all accounts I'm told Diop will be a Day 1 starter next winter.

To add a guard this off-season ... would really just have to be the perfect fit. I'm kind of leaning toward a Chucky-type playmaker/defender.

Make no mistake, expectations will be through the roof next November. This is likely a preseason Top 3 team.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Probably a lot of anger after driving 10 hours on a bus, getting here and being told to turn around.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post
    Well said, IUP 24. I was having similar thoughts about WLU. Last week, those conference tournament championships seemed insignificant on one level. The REAL tournament wasn't gonna start until today. It is often easy to overlook the significance of the conference tourney when your team is already guaranteed a spot in the "big dance." But now that the big dance has hung up its dancing shoes, I find myself cherishing the conference tourney win far more than I did last Sunday. At least I got to see a championship game (even if it was only for the MEC championship).

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Well said, IUP 24. I was having similar thoughts about WLU. Last week, those conference tournament championships seemed insignificant on one level. The REAL tournament wasn't gonna start until today. It is often easy to overlook the significance of the conference tourney when your team is already guaranteed a spot in the "big dance." But now that the big dance has hung up its dancing shoes, I find myself cherishing the conference tourney win far more than I did last Sunday. At least I got to see a championship game (even if it was only for the MEC championship).

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X