X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
    Good to see teams having off days. Gannon ladies get the week off (no make-up Monday and bye Wednesday). They need really need it - they've hit the wall.
    Three games a week is an incredible physical and mental strain. Consider many teams -- due to illnesses and injuries -- are down to very small rotations. This many games in such a short period will also likely amount to more injuries.

IUP (men) played that crazy @SRU, SRU, Cal three-game stretch in 5 days. That's insanity.

Of course, the players are probably loving it. Practices have probably never been easier.

There were several teams tasked with 8 games in 18 days to finish the season. That is quite the wear and tear.

Leave a comment:

• Golden89
    replied
    Good to see teams having off days. Gannon ladies get the week off (no make-up Monday and bye Wednesday). They need really need it - they've hit the wall.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    WOMEN'S Standings

WEST
    TEAM PSAC OVERALL STREAK 2/19
    California* 13-4 18-4 W4 Clarion
    Gannon* 15-5 20-5 W2 at Slippery Rock
    Seton Hill* 14-5 20-8 L1 at IUP
    IUP* 12-7 18-7 L1 Seton Hill
    Edinboro 10-8 12-9 W1 at Mercyhurst
    Pitt-Johnstown 9-10 11-14 L1 OFF
    Slippery Rock 6-12 11-13 W1 Gannon
    Mercyhurst 5-13 7-17 L5 Edinboro
    Clarion 4-16 5-20 L1 at California

EAST
    Kutztown* 15-3 22-5 W3 Mansfield
    Bloomsburg* 16-4 18-8 W6 Shippensburg
    Shepherd* 13-6 19-6 W1 at ESU
    Shippensburg* 11-8 15-10 W1 at Bloomsburg
    Lock Haven 8-11 11-12 W3 WCU
    Mansfield 6-14 7-17 L2 at Kutztown
    Millersville 6-14 7-18 L3 OFF
    West Chester 5-13 7-17 L4 at LH
    East Stroudsburg 2-17 3-19 W1 Shepherd

* = clinched PSAC Tournament birth

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I've been impressed by them both times IUP played them. They were in both games with 4 minutes to play. What jumped out at me in researching them was just the wild inconsistent play. Good one game (even if they lose) and not anywhere near good the next. Their starting unit has all been around, too. Age-wise, that's probably the oldest team in the league. Seems they get 'up' for some games and not others.

They've had some bad luck with injuries and Covid ... but, so has everybody else. It's not like IUP was anywhere near full strength last night with three rotation guys out. No doubt, the Scots should be better than their record.

I noticed Keyes is only listed as a Junior. That dude better have a couples Masters' degrees by the time he finally calls it a career. I wonder if he'll stick around for next year.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

With the number of redshirt juniors caused by the missed season, it will be interesting to see how next year shapes out. It certainly will be important at Ship. If Fite can hold on to his junior core of Johnson, Carter, Sleva, and Nedrow, they'll obviously have a strong team again. But if they lose some of those guys, along with Biss and Hardy, it might be rebuild time at Ship.
    I'll be curious, too. Some of these guys in the PSAC have been out of high school a really long time now. Some will stay. Some will choose to start the 'real world'.

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied

I've been impressed by them both times IUP played them. They were in both games with 4 minutes to play. What jumped out at me in researching them was just the wild inconsistent play. Good one game (even if they lose) and not anywhere near good the next. Their starting unit has all been around, too. Age-wise, that's probably the oldest team in the league. Seems they get 'up' for some games and not others.

They've had some bad luck with injuries and Covid ... but, so has everybody else. It's not like IUP was anywhere near full strength last night with three rotation guys out. No doubt, the Scots should be better than their record.

I noticed Keyes is only listed as a Junior. That dude better have a couples Masters' degrees by the time he finally calls it a career. I wonder if he'll stick around for next year.
    Absolutely on the mark as a schizophrenic team in their games versus CAL U. At MCCOMB the SCOTS were FIGHTING like crazy and down by 3 with :09 to go before losing 84-89. Switch to the ANGELO DOME and the game was over before halftime when the FLUFFY SCOTS were behind 18-47. I tend to attribute swings like this to coaching. The best coaches I've watched in HS and college ball didn't win all the games but their teams rarely if ever were blown out. Don't know Cleary well enough to say, but 73-84 in 6 years as HC indicates less than stellar grasp of the game.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

With the number of redshirt juniors caused by the missed season, it will be interesting to see how next year shapes out. It certainly will be important at Ship. If Fite can hold on to his junior core of Johnson, Carter, Sleva, and Nedrow, they'll obviously have a strong team again. But if they lose some of those guys, along with Biss and Hardy, it might be rebuild time at Ship.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

It makes you wonder sometimes... I think Boro is more talented than a few teams ahead of them in the standings but WHY are they eliminated year in and year out by these same teams???

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Edinboro, mathematically, is still alive for the final spot in the West. The Scots need to go 3-0 to close it out -- including winning Saturday at Mercyhurst. Gannon has to go 0-3. It would then come down to tie-breakers.

Gannon could go winless the rest of the way. The Knights play at SRU, at Clarion and host California. They'll be underdogs in two of those for sure.

However, the odds of Edinboro winning in Erie in 48 hours aren't too good. The Scots would then have to turn around and win at Slippery Rock and then beat Seton Hill in the finale.

The bottom of the East race (and the top) is still a bit messy. Two spots remain unclaimed.
    It makes you wonder sometimes... I think Boro is more talented than a few teams ahead of them in the standings but WHY are they eliminated year in and year out by these same teams???

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Edinboro, mathematically, is still alive for the final spot in the West. The Scots need to go 3-0 to close it out -- including winning Saturday at Mercyhurst. Gannon has to go 0-3. It would then come down to tie-breakers.

Gannon could go winless the rest of the way. The Knights play at SRU, at Clarion and host California. They'll be underdogs in two of those for sure.

However, the odds of Edinboro winning in Erie in 48 hours aren't too good. The Scots would then have to turn around and win at Slippery Rock and then beat Seton Hill in the finale.

The bottom of the East race (and the top) is still a bit messy. Two spots remain unclaimed.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Updated MEN'S Standings

WEST
    IUP* 17-2 23-2 W8 Seton Hill
    Mercyhurst* 15-4 21-4 W4 Edinboro
    Pitt-Johnstown* 15-5 19-7 L2 OFF
    California* 13-5 18-6 W3 Clarion
    Slippery Rock* 10-8 14-10 W3 Gannon
    Gannon 9-10 12-11 L4 at SRU
    Edinboro 6-12 8-15 L1 at Mercyhurst
    Clarion 5-14 9-15 L5 at California
    Seton Hill 3-16 3-21 L5 at IUP

EAST
    Millersville* 15-5 21-5 L1 OFF
    East Stroudsburg* 13-5 15-7 W2 at Shepherd
    Shippensburg* 12-6 15-8 L2 at Bloomsburg
    West Chester* 9-9 15-9 W3 at Lock Haven
    Lock Haven 8-11 11-12 W5 West Chester
    Shepherd 7-11 11-13 W1 at ESU
    Kutztown 4-15 7-18 L8 Mansfield
    Bloomsburg 4-15 5-18 L1 Shippensburg
    Mansfield 3-15 4-20 L3 at Kutztown
    * = clinched PSAC Tournament birth

Leave a comment:

• Golden89
    replied
    SRU over GU 71-58 in a contest SRU led from start to finish. Gannon minus LeGrand, Clancy, Herster, Olesen. Knights may not win another game.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Mercyhurst wins by 12 in Johnstown, 70-58.

That basically wraps up the West for IUP.

Shepherd is blowing out Millersville.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    The House went 5-1 picking winners on a tough Monday night. There are some challenges tonight -- a big, primetime game mixed in with some trap-types. There's also a clear blowout on the board, but can those pesky Griffins get you a win with the large spread? Good luck.

Lock Haven at Bloomsburg - The Huskies are coming off a big win over Mansfield (well, 'big' when it gets you out of the cellar) -- and, remarkably, find themselves with some hope. Faint hope, but, hope. Bloomsburg is two wins off the pace for the final PSAC Tournament spot. No room for error -- especially with a Lock Haven team known to be very shaky on the road in town tonight. The Bald Eagles won by 7 points the first time around. Lock Haven has won 4 straight and is one of the hottest teams in the East. Tough game to pick. Bloomsburg has been lit up several times and Lock Haven can score the ball (usually). Bald Eagles -5

Mercyhurst at Pitt-Johnstown - Probably the worst hangover cure on Earth is coming to Johnstown tonight. Call it what you will Monday night -- Cal played great, UPJ was off ... end result was the Mountain Cats got hammered in their building. After a day off for UPJ to recover, the Lakers arrive in Johnstown -- the same Lakers who hung a 91-60 beating on UPJ about 3 weeks ago. Add to it, Mercyhurst has had nearly a week to prepare. Giving Gary Manchel that long to game-plan is dangerous. What mental state will UPJ be in tonight ... will it be a hungry bunch or sulking? This is the second time Mercyhurst is getting UPJ after a very emotional game for the Mountain Cats. Timing, as they say, is everything. Lakers -7

Slippery Rock at Gannon - Rumor is there was a Help Wanted sign on Gannon Coach Kelvin Jefferson's office door yesterday. The Knights are running out of players. Gannon has lost its past three outings, and, well, things certainly don't get easier tonight. These two old rivals play a back-to-back series, with Saturday's game being in Morrow Field House. This would be a tough game for Gannon even at (or near) full strength. Unless a couple players return tonight, SRU may lay one on the Knights. The Rock is much better than people realize. Don't expect the SRU/GU Wrestlemania games of the past (played in the 40s or low-50s). The Rock may put up 90 tonight. SRU -12

IUP at Edinboro - In many ways, the first meeting this year (a 76-67 IUP win) changed the Crimson Hawks' season. It didn't happen during the game. IUP played awful and looked disinterested. It came afterward, when Joe Lombardi (per the rumor mill) lost it in the locker room and really called out his teams' toughness. It worked. IUP has won 7 straight -- in the gauntlet portion of its schedule. The Hawks got embarrassed in the first meeting. They won, but shouldn't have. Expect them to be a feisty bunch tonight in front of what will be a big IUP travel contingent. It won't be easy, however. The Scots are healthy now and will be up for this game. IUP has a two-game lead now. Joe can't let them get comfortable. And, don't forget the uniforms. IUP wins, but it will be closer than many think. Crimson Hawks -8

Kutztown at West Chester - The Golden Bears have lost 7 in a row. They are on the road in a hostile environment. They've likely been the biggest flop in the PSAC this season. Nobody would pick them to win this game outright. So, Kutztown will probably win, outright, tonight. They do the opposite of what seems to make sense this year. And, the Golden Bears have the physical size to bang bodies with the Rams for 40 minutes. Don't forget, either, KU won the first meeting, 94-92. West Chester is fresh off a spirited home victory over Shippensburg. How will a young team respond? That's the hard part to wager. WCU went through its growing pains this year. They won't be an easy out the rest of the way. Rams -7

Millersville at Shepherd - The Rams just about won in Millersville, but fell 75-71. Tonight's rematch is in Shepherdstown, where the home team is exceptionally better than its road version. The Marauders have won 12 in a row. Getting to 13 won't be easy. This has an upset feel to it -- especially with Millersville entertaining rival West Chester this Saturday. The trap is set. Will Millersville take the bait? Marauders -4

California at Seton Hill - It should be a great women's game. The men's game ... ugly. The Vulcans have a tough stretch starting next week. But, tonight, they'll have fun. California -26

Mansfield at East Stroudsburg - The Mounties could score 100 tonight. Or, they could score 46. Neither would surprise anybody. Mansfield has the punching power to be dangerous on a given night, but it is a tremendously inconsistent bunch. The Warriors haven't played in a week. This should be a hungry and well-rested team. This has UGLY written all over it. ESU wins. Big. Warriors -18

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Have you been added to the Gannon roster yet for tomorrow? They had 5-6 guys out last night.
    Sinking ship! Gannon thought they were improving by getting rid of Reilly. What a joke!

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X