X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Calu wbb '18-'19

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    That's interesting. IUP cast-off.
    IIRC---her father was/is an administrator at Cal.

It's odd when players go to three schools for a four-year playing career.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

-
      Her father is assistant director of admissions and she holds the D2 record for consecutive FT made at 95. She's a slightly above average 3pt in the .360-.370 range. For comparison, MIKI GLENN ,whom I never considered a prime 3pt threat, had a 4year average of .342 and did a few other things along the way. I'd never bring someone in for their 3pt shooting unless they were career .400 +. Those players are not playmakers and are frequently defensive liabilities. If this comes to pass it feels more like a favor for her Dad since he had to watch her make the bone-headed move from IUP so at least with the VULCANS she'll play on a winning team. Does she also get free tuition ? If so, no scholly to split. Really not a significant move.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

-

Comment

Not sure she 'left' IUP on her own accord.

IUP never commented on her departure. Lot of rumors.

She won't be a scholarship hit (same as Dante Lombardi).

Burns can play. She wasn't surrounded with a whole lot at WJ last year. No way she'd be going to Cal to ride pine.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Burns can play. No way she'd be going to Cal to ride pine.
            She can play but just not STROM'S way. Her scoring is up on a team with few options. Her TO are nearly twice her steals. Her strong point is FT shooting but she only goes to the line 5 times a game which is common for outside shooters. Given how many new players are coming to the VALLEY this year, I'd say she'd be wasting her final year.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
              Her father is assistant director of admissions and she holds the D2 record for consecutive FT made at 95. She's a slightly above average 3pt in the .360-.370 range. For comparison, MIKI GLENN ,whom I never considered a prime 3pt threat, had a 4year average of .342 and did a few other things along the way. I'd never bring someone in for their 3pt shooting unless they were career .400 +. Those players are not playmakers and are frequently defensive liabilities. If this comes to pass it feels more like a favor for her Dad since he had to watch her make the bone-headed move from IUP so at least with the VULCANS she'll play on a winning team. Does she also get free tuition ? If so, no scholly to split. Really not a significant move.
              Actually, just being accurate, Burns made 118 straight free throws...her percentage was down a bit last year as she was forced to take more shots from long-range and the WJ team had to rely upon her and the point guard to take more shots than they should have needed to take like the previous year.

She wasn't looking to play this next year so something changed to get her interested as she graduated vowing to not play again...she is a 'gym rat' type of hard worker though.

Comment

Year of free grad school in exchange for playing basketball isn't a bad deal.

Comment

Originally posted by pennbraz View Post
                  Actually, just being accurate, Burns made 118 straight free throws...her percentage was down a bit last year as she was forced to take more shots from long-range and the WJ team had to rely upon her and the point guard to take more shots than they should have needed to take like the previous year.

She wasn't looking to play this next year so something changed to get her interested as she graduated vowing to not play again...she is a 'gym rat' type of hard worker though.
                  95 was from 16-17 NCAA record book. Guess she added 23 in 17-18. Career 3pt @ WJU 217-580 for.374 in 2 years. Nice for a .500 team but that isn't enough to make up for TO and minimal steals. COACH STROM was not happy with how '17- '18 ended and looks to be making wholesale changes to her line-up. I could be wrong but I don't see a spot for MB.

Comment

Just a short view of one of VULCAN WBB recruits that it would seem COACH STROM may be expecting to contribute in 18-19.

http://mobile.twitter.com/ShesGotNex...357504/video/1

SHAUNA HARRISON and the GBU20 women's team is finishing up European U20 championship play. The team is made up of several D1 and D2 players and others who I think have a wish to play in the States. They didn't have a great tourney and will finish at or about .500. The defense looked solid but the offense seemed confused and disjointed.
                    Good news for CAL U fans SH finished as the #5/6 player based on an average around 30 minutes per game. Her defense was always solid even against a few larger players. Her offense didn't seem to get going until this game vs Denmark. She looks to be a catch and shoot player rather than a create her own shot like EMMA MAHADY could do several years ago. Though close to 6', I doubt you'll see her taking it inside that much.
                    Interesting sidelight is one of her teammates, IRE OZZY MOMODU, will likely be flying into PIT with SH, to begin her 2nd year at RMU.
                    Update on SH. She's off to AUSTRIA in August to play in the FIBAU18 EUROPEAN championships. She played for this team last year but when she was named to the U20 team I thought she had aged out. Apparently she is eligible for both teams which really says a lot for her game at a relatively young age. I don't know what else she has going on, but when she gets on the court at the ANGELO DOME in the fall, it will be the 4th country she's competed in this year !! That is a lot of ballin' !
                    Last edited by CALUPA69; 07-21-2018, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Just a short view of one of VULCAN WBB recruits that it would seem COACH STROM may be expecting to contribute in 18-19.

http://mobile.twitter.com/ShesGotNex...357504/video/1

SHAUNA HARRISON and the GBU20 women's team is finishing up European U20 championship play. The team is made up of several D1 and D2 players and others who I think have a wish to play in the States. They didn't have a great tourney and will finish at or about .500. The defense looked solid but the offense seemed confused and disjointed.
                      Good news for CAL U fans SH finished as the #5/6 player based on an average around 30 minutes per game. Her defense was always solid even against a few larger players. Her offense didn't seem to get going until this game vs Denmark. She looks to be a catch and shoot player rather than a create her own shot like EMMA MAHADY could do several years ago. Though close to 6', I doubt you'll see her taking it inside that much.
                      Interesting sidelight is one of her teammates, IRE OZZY MOMODU, will likely be flying into PIT with SH, to begin her 2nd year at RMU.
                      Update on SH. She's off to AUSTRIA in August to play in the FIBAU18 EUROPEAN championships. She played for this team last year but when she was named to the U20 team I thought she had aged out. Apparently she is eligible for both teams which really says a lot for her game at a relatively young age. I don't know what else she has going on, but when she gets on the court at the ANGELO DOME in the fall, it will be the 4th country she's competed in this year !! That is a lot of ballin' !

Comment

95 was from 16-17 NCAA record book. Guess she added 23 in 17-18. Career 3pt @ WJU 217-580 for.374 in 2 years. Nice for a .500 team but that isn't enough to make up for TO and minimal steals. COACH STROM was not happy with how '17- '18 ended and looks to be making wholesale changes to her line-up. I could be wrong but I don't see a spot for MB.
                        I"ll go on the record that Mo Burns is a great add...and contributes mightily....
                        Good shooters / playmakers are hard to find...esp on womens' side

Comment

Comment

My sense is that SEAIRRA, having graduated, may not be back. Trying to get up to date info.
                            The huge number of potential players has me very confused. JESS STROM has always seemed very loyal to her players and reticent to cut anyone, but since she has never varied from 12-14 players and having posted 7 newbies on @CalUofPAWBB to go with around 10 returnees, it looks like several someones are out.
                            Once again if you're interested in seeing one of those newbies in action, SHAUNA HARRISON, CALU'S latest English import, will be a featured player on GREAT BRITAIN'S FIBA U18 team playing in ROMANIA on Friday 8/3 vs Austria. Games will be streamed on YouTube.com/FIBA. She is still a work in progress and a bit of a quirky player but she reminds me of a EMMA MAHADY/ IRINA KUKOLJ hybrid who can go off for 15-25 points from time to time.

Comment

My sense is that SEAIRRA, having graduated, may not be back. Trying to get up to date info.
                              The huge number of potential players has me very confused. JESS STROM has always seemed very loyal to her players and reticent to cut anyone, but since she has never varied from 12-14 players and having posted 7 newbies on @CalUofPAWBB to go with around 10 returnees, it looks like several someones are out.
                              Once again if you're interested in seeing one of those newbies in action, SHAUNA HARRISON, CALU'S latest English import, will be a featured player on GREAT BRITAIN'S FIBA U18 team playing in ROMANIA on Friday 8/3 vs Austria. Games will be streamed on YouTube.com/FIBA. She is still a work in progress and a bit of a quirky player but she reminds me of a EMMA MAHADY/ IRINA KUKOLJ hybrid who can go off for 15-25 points from time to time.
                              I
                              Last edited by Feedoggie; 08-02-2018, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Feedoggie View Post
                                I
                                Nice game by SH. I'!l take 17Pts and 13 Rbs anytime. She still seems too deferential to other players, always willing to set picks, defend and dive for a loose ball, but never demanding the ball when she's in the open. It will be interesting to see how JESS STROM uses her.
                                Last edited by CALUPA69; 08-04-2018, 07:31 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X