Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: OT: D1

I thought that I would just give our readership a few tidbits on Gerald Drumgoole. This is a really fantastic commit for Jeff Capel and company to receive. The young man Drumgoole is really quite an interesting kid. I believe that he hails from upstate New York IIRC and he currently plays on the #1 high school team in the country---La Lumiere out of the state of Indiana. They play and beat some major competition out there.

Drumgoole is averaging 14 ppg, 5 rpg and 2 apg if I have the correct numbers. He shoots an absolutely blistering 50% from three point land. Pitt sure could use him.

He is the rare D-I basketball recruit who also was being recruited as a football player (as a tight end). A rather thick build for a high school guard.

He also has an engaging and fun personality that will likely endear him to many fans throughout the city and region (think JuJu Smith-Schuster of the Steelers).

He will turn 18 this July.

Some word filtering down that 6-8 PF Karim Coulibaly's commitment to Pitt is imminent and could happen at any time here. Stay tuned for that...

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
      I was happily watching it on one of the ESPN channels earlier this evening when I discovered that it was a NC-UVA game from 1995. I did think it odd that the Tar Heels had another Calabria in the fold. LOL.

-

That is actually hilarious. I thought Rasheed Wallace would have given it away? LOL.

By the way, do you recall when Dante Calabria dropped about 50 on Marion Center in a PIAA game way back when?

I still think Cal should have hired him when he applied for the job 3 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        That is actually hilarious. I thought Rasheed Wallace would have given it away? LOL.

By the way, do you recall when Dante Calabria dropped about 50 on Marion Center in a PIAA game way back when?

I still think Cal should have hired him when he applied for the job 3 years ago.
        Yeah, I thought something seemed kind of off with it. LOL.

I don't recall Calabria toasting MC. I do remember Major Harris torching Indiana High back in '84 with the last second 70-yard bomb and Terrill Pryor playing at tiny West Shamokin. He must have wondered where the hell he was out there at ultra-rural NuMine.

Agree that he would have been great for Cal. Sometimes that branded name goes a long ways!

-

Comment

Yeah, I thought something seemed kind of off with it. LOL.

I don't recall Calabria toasting MC. I do remember Major Harris torching Indiana High back in '84 with the last second 70-yard bomb and Terrill Pryor playing at tiny West Shamokin. He must have wondered where the hell he was out there at ultra-rural NuMine.

Agree that he would have been great for Cal. Sometimes that branded name goes a long ways!

-

Back in the same era Valley High (New Kensington) had a completely loaded team -- headlined by future Duquesne star Tommy Pipkins.

Indiana High (I think accidentally) invited them to their yearly tip-off tournament. Recall IHS typically invites one of the lowly local schools to be the sacrificial lamb. I will never forget it. Valley had to play Marion Center the first night and put on a dunk show and then hammered IHS the next night. Needless to say they weren't invited back the following year.

Comment

Back in the same era Valley High (New Kensington) had a completely loaded team -- headlined by future Duquesne star Tommy Pipkins.

Indiana High (I think accidentally) invited them to their yearly tip-off tournament. Recall IHS typically invites one of the lowly local schools to be the sacrificial lamb. I will never forget it. Valley had to play Marion Center the first night and put on a dunk show and then hammered IHS the next night. Needless to say they weren't invited back the following year.
            Interesting name there. I think that IUP had a black QB back in the late '60s or so named Tom Pipkins. I recall Matt B. telling us that. That must have been his boy.

-

Comment

Interesting name there. I think that IUP had a black QB back in the late '60s or so named Tom Pipkins. I recall Matt B. telling us that. That must have been his boy.

-

Real interesting story with him and how Duquesne got him. He chose the Dukes over North Carolina, Pitt and most of the Big East (height of the Big East). He had a good career there but it was nothing like many thought it would be. Part of it was they just couldn't surround him with enough talent.

Comment

Duke

Wow

Comment

I thought that I would just give our readership a few tidbits on Gerald Drumgoole. This is a really fantastic commit for Jeff Capel and company to receive. The young man Drumgoole is really quite an interesting kid. I believe that he hails from upstate New York IIRC and he currently plays on the #1 high school team in the country---La Lumiere out of the state of Indiana. They play and beat some major competition out there.

Drumgoole is averaging 14 ppg, 5 rpg and 2 apg if I have the correct numbers. He shoots an absolutely blistering 50% from three point land. Pitt sure could use him.

He is the rare D-I basketball recruit who also was being recruited as a football player (as a tight end). A rather thick build for a high school guard.

He also has an engaging and fun personality that will likely endear him to many fans throughout the city and region (think JuJu Smith-Schuster of the Steelers).

He will turn 18 this July.

Some word filtering down that 6-8 PF Karim Coulibaly's commitment to Pitt is imminent and could happen at any time here. Stay tuned for that...

-
                  For 17 he's a big dude. Better keep Narduzzi away from him!

Comment

For 17 he's a big dude. Better keep Narduzzi away from him!
                    No doubt the 'Duz is taking a good look at him. Judging from first appearances of his latest recruiting class he's probably looking for help anywhere he can get it. But who knows, maybe it's a great class for all we know. I liked Paul Chryst's recruiting MUCH better.

Getting back to Pitt hoops recruiting---

-Interestingly, it seems that Drumgoole is now being labled exclusively as a small forward and as a wing. I guess that is where Pitt wants him to play. Makes sense. Not much of a big deal as it sounds like he was used in the 2 and 3 spot in high school. I think that I also read somewhere that he is actually from the state of Louisiana. He played ball in upstate New York (Rochester area IIRC) before transferring to the state of Indiana's La Lumiere.

-Apparently PF recruit Karim Coulibaly will not visit campus this weekend due to having a game at his school (Scotland, PA). But he has made several visits already. Hopefully his cancellation is not a sign of anything. Other schools on his list include St. Joes and Tulane.

-The Champagnie twins out of Brooklyn are due in for a campus visit. Justin Champagnie's stock is on the rise. Tough and skilled ball player. He says that he would be comfortable playing anywhere from the 2 spot to the four spot. He is 6-6. Very mobile and skilled ball handler who can drive to the hoop. His brother, 6-7 Julian, is not as talented as him but hardly that bad. Apparently they are a package deal for a program to take.

-I was utterly shocked to see the name of SF Christian Brown out of Oak Hill Academy on many observers Pitt watch list. The guy is simply unbelievable. Take a look at his tape. It's hard not to have the "wow and awe" thing happen to you. Better dreadlocks than the Predator himself and amazing game. It literally looks like he can fly out there. While rankings are a highly subjective thing for sure-----I've seen this guy listed anywhere from Top 15, Top 25, Top 60. Depends whose review you are reading. I think that he had an injury somewhere along the way that has kept the bluebloods like NC and Kentucky from offering him. He has a crazy amount of offers nationwide. Personally, I think that it is panning for fools gold with this guy if you're Pitt, but you just never know. He would likely be Pitt's most elite recruit since perhaps the days of Charles Smith back in the mid-1980s. I think most experts are projecting him to NC State at the moment. He hails from South Carolina so he may wish to stay in that region. Hard to know. But he has offers from all over like USC, Stanford, Arizona State, UCONN, Florida, Georgia---you name it. But I just kind of highly doubt that Pitt lands him. Too bad!

-Some interesting bigs (and I mean big) are being linked to the Panthers. 7-footer Ibrahima Diallo out of Senegal who is currently playing prep ball out in California against some good college-bound competition. He is said to have an absurd nearly 8-foot wingspan. He averages around 11 points and 11 boards per outing. Many see him as a project at the D-I level. He is slated to make a campus visit this weekend.

-Another big man being mentioned is 6-10 Khadim Sy of Daytona State College. He played his high school ball at Oak Hill Academy and then has embarked upon a rather strange saga from that point. He signed with Virginia Tech and stayed for one year (averaging 4 ppg) and then transferred to Tallahassee College but then transferred back to Va-Tech without ever having played a game. Stayed for a semester and then transferred out again and landed at Daytona State College. The competition there is not the best as they play a lot of trade and technical schools. He scores 17 ppg and grabs 10 boards per contest. He is also a native of Senegal. He sounds like quite a shaky risk. He may be gone before he would even get here.

-The ACC is planning a 20-game conference schedule for next season. Apparently they already have a three-year schedule rotation worked out.

-
                    Last edited by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS; 02-15-2019, 11:28 AM.

Comment

News just broke----Karim Coulibaly has just committed to Pitt! Great news! 6-8, 230 power forward with a bit of an outside game. Probably not in the mold of the traditional Pitt Big East bangers of old. More of a finesse player perhaps. But he will certainly fill a dire need for Pitt next season. This is another big get for Jeff Capel and company! I've seen Coulibaly listed in the top 80-90 or so on some recruit lists (for whatever that may be worth).

-

Comment

TN gone to the woodshed

Comment

Never seen that many empty seats in Morgantown ...

Comment

That was my thought as well. A 10-15 record for a fan base used to winning will do that for you.

Comment

Cheapest seat on market for North Carolina vs Duke tomorrow is $2,500

Comment

I tuned into the Wyoming-UNLV in Laramie game last evening and I have NEVER seen so many empty seats. Practically all of them were empty. I figured that they just must not like basketball up that way. Then the announcer said that everyone stayed home because of some terrible weather. But it was odd to see no one there.

-

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X