Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A RANT: For those reading in the IUP Athletic and Comm Media Departments...

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

They're students studying communications. They don't bring the recently graduated former player out of retirement to do color commentary. They're John and Ben from New Castle who signed up. Better than nothing.
    I am always surprised at the comments on this forum about the student announcers. I've never had any kind of problem with them. They are not much less than the amateur hour of sports announcers who man the mikes today. I grew up in the golden era of football broadcasting with such stalwarts as Dick Enberg, Merlin Olsen, Charlie Jones, Howard Cossell, Keith Jackson, Brent Musberger, Frank Gifford and Pat Summerall. Even Tony Romo sucks compared to those legends.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

I am always surprised at the comments on this forum about the student announcers. I've never had any kind of problem with them. They are not much less than the amateur hour of sports announcers who man the mikes today. I grew up in the golden era of football broadcasting with such stalwarts as Dick Enberg, Merlin Olsen, Charlie Jones, Howard Cossell, Keith Jackson, Brent Musberger, Frank Gifford and Pat Summerall. Even Tony Romo sucks compared to those legends.

-
      We all know that they're less than ideal. But we have to remember that they're students and not broadcasters hired via audition. I'd argue that most are doing it for the first time.

Comment

We all know that they're less than ideal. But we have to remember that they're students and not broadcasters hired via audition. I'd argue that most are doing it for the first time.

Comment

Like I said----I have no problem at all with them. I thought they were fine.

To folks who are hoping to see the games via the web---you might want to consider just tuning into the "listen" feature offered on the schedule page. IUP has an absolute broadcast legend in Jack Benedict. He has been calling IUP sports since like 1969 and nobody does it better. Not sure if he will call all the games or not. Maybe not the first day. But he is worth the listen.

-

Comment

Like I said----I have no problem at all with them. I thought they were fine.

To folks who are hoping to see the games via the web---you might want to consider just tuning into the "listen" feature offered on the schedule page. IUP has an absolute broadcast legend in Jack Benedict. He has been calling IUP sports since like 1969 and nobody does it better. Not sure if he will call all the games or not. Maybe not the first day. But he is worth the listen.

-
            Not sure about basketball, but IUP and Slippery Rock are the only schools I know of with true professional announcers doing the game. Cal used to when they were buying TV time on FSN.

Edit: I've only listened to him on a few games, but I concur that Jack Benedict is a gem. Better than what many, many D1 teams have.
            Last edited by Fightingscot82; 03-10-2020, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Not sure about basketball, but IUP and Slippery Rock are the only schools I know of with true professional announcers doing the game. Cal used to when they were buying TV time on FSN.

Edit: I've only listened to him on a few games, but I concur that Jack Benedict is a gem. Better than what many, many D1 teams have.
              The really crazy thing that I remember from the Field House days is his totally nonchalant attitude right before the game. Engaging in small talk with not a care in the world or absolutely no being lost deep in his own thoughts of focus in anticipation of the broadcast. Just plops right down in his seat and the magic happens just like that. It was truly remarkable.

Also nuts is that he just keeps getting better and better every year. He is an ageless wonder.

-

Comment

The really crazy thing that I remember from the Field House days is his totally nonchalant attitude right before the game. Engaging in small talk with not a care in the world or absolutely no being lost deep in his own thoughts of focus in anticipation of the broadcast. Just plops right down in his seat and the magic happens just like that. It was truly remarkable.

Also nuts is that he just keeps getting better and better every year. He is an ageless wonder.

-
                Jack's had a lot of practice. Lol.

I do miss Bill Otto not being the in-game announcer. At least he still does football.

"It's a hot dog night in Indiana"

Comment

If this (likely) NCAA decison trickles down to D2 ....

IUP: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE fix the live feed prior to this weekend.

Comment

Waiting for Fighting Scot to talk about Clem from Homer City now.

Comment

It's actually probably a good thing. If several leaders watch a bad feed and question it, changes could come sooner than angry alumni complaining.

Comment

It's actually probably a good thing. If several leaders watch a bad feed and question it, changes could come sooner than angry alumni complaining.
                        Yep. Might have a least an order of magnitude more demand in the video stream. If they don't bump up capacity quickly it could be very bad performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Yep. Might have a least an order of magnitude more demand in the video stream. If they don't bump up capacity quickly it could be very bad performance.
                          Lol you got that right. This will be the highest rated broadcast in IUP history. That's for sure.

It will be a disaster. Best bet will just be FM 92.5 and listen to Jack and Tony.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Lol you got that right. This will be the highest rated broadcast in IUP history. That's for sure.

It will be a disaster. Best bet will just be FM 92.5 and listen to Jack and Tony.
                            That's a dang shame!!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X