Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gannon

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    You just got rid of Gannon's all time career winning coach. Enough said... clueless fans!!!

Comment

Be careful what you wish for ... grass is only greener some of the time.

It wasn't JR's fault his star big man decided to retire the summer entering his senior year. Nor was it his fault Webb missed the whole season.

JR ran a clean program and won way more than he lost. Seems the coach across town just missed the Final Four playing the same style.

He was a bit of an enigma at Gannon. Half the fans loved him. Half hated him. They sure loved him last year.

They just fired a coach who was one of the Deans of PSAC basketball. It's not an easy job there. The facilities are horrendously bad and dated. The Hammermill could be used to make a 1950s basketball movie.

The fanbase so entralled with running him out of town is also the fanbase hoping 1988 returns tomorrow.

JR will be fine. He'll get the first job he applies for at this level. I sure hope it's in Clarion. It would be fantastic to see that 'boring' team hold Gannon to 45 points.

But, yes, how you fire JR and keep that clown football coach is just mind-boggling. JR ran a respected program. The football show there is the bottom of an outhouse.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        KR could be the next coach in the Hammermill. I would literally fall over.

Gannon would be good again quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Be careful what you wish for ... grass is only greener some of the time.

It wasn't JR's fault his star big man decided to retire the summer entering his senior year. Nor was it his fault Webb missed the whole season.

JR ran a clean program and won way more than he lost. Seems the coach across town just missed the Final Four playing the same style.

He was a bit of an enigma at Gannon. Half the fans loved him. Half hated him. They sure loved him last year.

They just fired a coach who was one of the Deans of PSAC basketball. It's not an easy job there. The facilities are horrendously bad and dated. The Hammermill could be used to make a 1950s basketball movie.

The fanbase so entralled with running him out of town is also the fanbase hoping 1988 returns tomorrow.

JR will be fine. He'll get the first job he applies for at this level. I sure hope it's in Clarion. It would be fantastic to see that 'boring' team hold Gannon to 45 points.

But, yes, how you fire JR and keep that clown football coach is just mind-boggling. JR ran a respected program. The football show there is the bottom of an outhouse.

Comment

I wouldn't be shocked to see Cleve Wright come back to Gannon.
            I would. It's a losing proposition to compete against your own legacy.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
              I would. It's a losing proposition to compete against your own legacy.
              Unless you want to be a HC again.

Comment

Well, I don't know what to say. Didn't see this coming ... Still really can't believe that GU would let both coaches go on the same day. Trying to process it.

Reilly's teams always played hard. Maximum effort. Good students. No knuckleheads. He was really well-liked by the administration, or so I thought. That said, slow, defense-first basketball only works with most fans if you win consistently. Four wins at home isn't the best thing. People were getting impatient after 14 years. The winning seasons were great, but fans aren't used to Gannon bottoming out like this. Riles was always nice to me and my family, though. I would be happy for my son to play for him.

Brunelli followed the best WBB coach in Gannon history. He never seemed to win recruiting battles and had some issues with players. The team really scuffled under his tenure. Though I thought that the team as composed could start contending again.

All that said, I hate to see people you know lose their jobs. I see both coaches and their families around Erie quite a bit. Not an easy day for either of them.

PSAC doubleheaders sure will be different at the Hammermill next year.

Comment

Unless you want to be a HC again.
                  He could be a Division II head coach anywhere he wants. I think that his daughter is playing in the GLIAC.

Don't get me wrong ... I wouldn't be upset at all if he came back. I just don't think that he will. I would be upset if he got the Mercy WBB job.

Comment

Comment

From @ENNgarydrapcho

Read into this what you want ....word is Cleve Wright was set to become the next Mercyhurst coach...until today ....and Stan Swank has stated in the recent past he wants to coach again.

Comment

Gannon isn't poaching Manchel. If they don't hire an offensive guru the 1980s guard may burn the Hammermill down.

I would say Manchel could draw interest from a level up.

BTW, welcome to the nuthouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Hurst72 View Post
                          From @ENNgarydrapcho

Read into this what you want ....word is Cleve Wright was set to become the next Mercyhurst coach...until today ....and Stan Swank has stated in the recent past he wants to coach again.
                          You can have Cleve Wright. That would be a bad hire for Gannon.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post
                            You can have Cleve Wright. That would be a bad hire for Gannon.
                            Why? I doubt he'd leave to flop in D1 again and this would likely be his last job.

Comment

Why? I doubt he'd leave to flop in D1 again and this would likely be his last job.
                              I would just like to see someone else get a chance. It was fun when he was here but i would try something new.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post
                                I would just like to see someone else get a chance. It was fun when he was here but i would try something new.
                                Interesting point of view. He was very successful there. Who did you have in mind aside from Mazzante?

From what I've heard she has no interest in a HC job.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X