Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gannon

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    He's getting that pension regardless. Maybe he wants to make some more cash.

Maybe he wasn't ready to retire but just wanted out of the Edinboro mess. A lot of them leave the game after 25 years, sit out a season and miss it like crazy. Hard to say.

You really saw the difference with him NOT on the sidelines this year for the Boro. They had a good season (not great). His experience isn't getting replaced in one year. Those old dogs can really work officials, too. The young pups get blown off.

Watch Lombardi and Manchel work refs ... work of art. Stan was the same way.
    Did you really think there was that much of a drop off at Boro? They still made the NCAAs and are leaps and bounds better than Hurst and Gannon. By last year, Swank was mainly just coaching letting his assistant do the recruiting and planning. Maybe he was just tired of the mess there.

Comment

Originally posted by Hurst72 View Post
      Did you really think there was that much of a drop off at Boro? They still made the NCAAs and are leaps and bounds better than Hurst and Gannon. By last year, Swank was mainly just coaching letting his assistant do the recruiting and planning. Maybe he was just tired of the mess there.
      I think there was a big drop-off mainly because that team had a ton of talent. Perhaps I'm tainted because I saw IUP run them out of the building twice -- and Edinboro looked disinterested in each game. I never saw that under Swank.

They are leaps and bounds better than Mercyhurst and Gannon -- two programs that just canned their coaches. Not sure that's a great comparison?

Comment

He's getting that pension regardless. Maybe he wants to make some more cash.

Maybe he wasn't ready to retire but just wanted out of the Edinboro mess. A lot of them leave the game after 25 years, sit out a season and miss it like crazy. Hard to say.

You really saw the difference with him NOT on the sidelines this year for the Boro. They had a good season (not great). His experience isn't getting replaced in one year. Those old dogs can really work officials, too. The young pups get blown off.

Watch Lombardi and Manchel work refs ... work of art. Stan was the same way.
        Not everyone is in the pension. There is a 403b option for those who aren't planning to put in 35 years and its pretty good. Coaches put in 5% and the match takes it to 14.29%.
        Last edited by Fightingscot82; 04-04-2019, 08:52 AM.

Comment

I know it sounds weird for us working folk to say, but most I know who retire love it for a year .. then are bored out of their minds.

And, let's be honest, a full-time D2 basketball coach is a pretty sweet gig. I mean, what do they really do all off-season? There's only so much film you can watch in a day.
          Recruiting is 365 days per year and never ends - if you are doing it right.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
            That might be the one valid complaint about Reilly's tenure at Gannon. Wasn't it a couple years ago when several players transferred to LeMoyne en masse? Or am I misremembering the details?
            Yes, the Gannon message board posters started referring to LeMoyne as "Gannon North." They played a large role in an East Regional championship and an Elite Eight berth.

There were also two or three players that transferred to Florida Southern and were key players on their national championship squad.

Gannon had six four-year players in Reilly's 14-year tenure. For context, Mercyhurst had 19 four-year players from 2008-09 to 2018-19.

Comment

They are leaps and bounds better than Mercyhurst and Gannon -- two programs that just canned their coaches. Not sure that's a great comparison?
              Not sure I'd say leaps and bounds ... Gannon ladies were 2-1 against Edinboro this year, including a win in the PSAC playoffs. To your point, Edinboro was a more consistent winner than Gannon, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
                Yes, the Gannon message board posters started referring to LeMoyne as "Gannon North." They played a large role in an East Regional championship and an Elite Eight berth.

There were also two or three players that transferred to Florida Southern and were key players on their national championship squad.

Gannon had six four-year players in Reilly's 14-year tenure. For context, Mercyhurst had 19 four-year players from 2008-09 to 2018-19.
                In today's culture the 4-year thing doesn't mean anything. It's a transfer world. Be lucky if you get two years.

Comment

In today's culture the 4-year thing doesn't mean anything. It's a transfer world. Be lucky if you get two years.
                  Especially when the recruiting strategy involves JUCO kids and transfers. As long as the kids that transfer out graduate it doesn't hurt your Grad rate.

I do think the timing was unwise to have 2 HC positions open in the same year. But with NABC (coaches convention) happening this weekend, there will be qualified people looking for jobs and possibly interviews taking place there in Tampa.

Comment

Originally posted by Macktheknight View Post
                    Especially when the recruiting strategy involves JUCO kids and transfers. As long as the kids that transfer out graduate it doesn't hurt your Grad rate.

I do think the timing was unwise to have 2 HC positions open in the same year. But with NABC (coaches convention) happening this weekend, there will be qualified people looking for jobs and possibly interviews taking place there in Tampa.
                    Don't discount the field to just coaches looking for a job. GU could draw the interest of some sitting head coaches. Depends on the money.

And, yes, you're right. The JUCO factor is huge. Tons of talented players. Transfers, too. Even toss in the grad transfer epidemic.

I'm not a fan of the one-year mercenary. But, in some cases the player is too good to pass up.

Comment

For 'most' programs at the D2 level of basketball, high school recruiting is just a major risk -- and headache.

Most of the kids think they are D1 material coming out of high school. Then, of course, they get a huge reality check.

I personally know a PSAC coach who told me high school recruiting is the worst part of his job. He hates it (and rarely does it). His theory is he hates dealing with the yappy parents. Transfer parents are much easier to deal with for a coach. High school parents all think little Johnny should be at Duke and can't fathom he won't be a Day 1 starter at a podunk D2 school.

The other downside is almost none of them are ready to play as freshmen. For every Malik Miller or Yahel Hill, there's about 100 others who need to (should be) a redshirt. They of course hate that idea. Many bail after that first year -- and just wasted a year of program money.

It's a risk not all schools can afford to take.

Comment

Yes, that's what I meant. There are good current HC and ACs with jobs looking to make their moves, and if they are smart using Convention as a way to talk to them. Remember Brunelli was not the first choice when Cleve left. The Ashland AC was the front runner and ended up staying at Ashland. Money will be a factor for both positions but I think Gannon offers great scholarship support, and a wide variety of majors. The right coaches should be able get back on the correct side of .500 within 1 -2 recruiting cycles, and back into contending form in 4 cycles.

Comment

Old arguments aside, if they want to ensure growth the University needs to be proactive about marketing both academic and athletic features at Gannon. The new HCs should be willing to play apart or embrace that strategy. I'm not sure the AD is the kind of person that can make this happen, but we'll see. I do happen to agree that her time there is numbered.

Comment

Originally posted by Macktheknight View Post
                            Old arguments aside, if they want to ensure growth the University needs to be proactive about marketing both academic and athletic features at Gannon. The new HCs should be willing to play apart or embrace that strategy. I'm not sure the AD is the kind of person that can make this happen, but we'll see. I do happen to agree that her time there is numbered.

Comment

It's a big hire. No doubt.

IUP obviously isn't going away. Mercyhurst is rolling. UPJ will be stacked the next several years. And, California is going to come back from the dead, quickly, under Danny Sancomb.

I'll say the jury is out on Slippery Rock. We'll see if Grady continues the tradition of dumpster diving or rather starts to build from the ground up.

Comment

Gannon has scheduled a press conference for tomorrow to announce the new women's basketball coach.

Rampant speculation in Erie that it's Cleve Wright.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X