Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gannon

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    I think that 2014-15 Gannon team was one of JR's better editions. That was the year IUP made the national title game but they did lose 2 of 3 to Gannon that year (including the walk-off deep trey in the PSAC title game). That was the GU team that had beat SRU three times but then got upset by the Rock in the opening round of the NCAAs.
    Neither that 2014-2015 team (23-9), nor the 2013-14 team (22-10 and PSAC 'Ship OT loss to W. Chester and loss in NCAA second round), nor the 2017-18 team (22-10, NCAA at large bid) did much to impress the AD, Lisa Goddard McGuirk, who was hired on August 25, 2014.

Since the 2013-14 season, JR is 101-76 with 1 PSAC championship (2014-15), a loss in the PSAC championship game (2017-18) and 3 NCAA tournament appearances.

Did I mention the 2008-09 team which finished the year in the Elite 8 with a 30-4 record, PSAC championship, and NCAA regional title? In 9 years at Gannon, Jerry Slocum never won a GLIAC championship and never won an NCAA tournament game. Ms. McGuirk was present this past season to induct Slocum into the Gannon Hall of Fame.

But I'm sure Lisa Goddard McGuirk already has the perfect candidate lined up and the recent job posting for the Gannon men's job was just for show, right? After all, she has tremendous experience with hiring men's basketball coaches to replace coaches who won but just not enough, right?
    Last edited by PSACwatcher; 04-08-2019, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PSACwatcher View Post
      Neither that 2014-2015 team (23-9), nor the 2013-14 team (22-10 and PSAC 'Ship OT loss to W. Chester and loss in NCAA second round), nor the 2017-18 team (22-10, NCAA at large bid) did much to impress the AD, Lisa Goddard McGuirk, who was hired on August 25, 2014.

Since the 2013-14 season, JR is 101-76 with 1 PSAC championship (2014-15), a loss in the PSAC championship game (2017-18) and 3 NCAA tournament appearances.

Did I mention the 2008-09 team which finished the year in the Elite 8 with a 30-4 record, PSAC championship, and NCAA regional title? In 9 years at Gannon, Jerry Slocum never won a GLIAC championship and never won an NCAA tournament game. Ms. McGuirk was present this past season to induct Slocum into the Gannon Hall of Fame.

But I'm sure Lisa Goddard McGuirk already has the perfect candidate lined up and the recent job posting for the Gannon men's job was just for show, right? After all, she has tremendous experience with hiring men's basketball coaches to replace coaches who won but just not enough, right?

Well, ... she best not miss.

In theory, Gannon has some decent players coming back -- Harewood, Olawoye, Webb, etc. Now, how many of them are 'actually' coming back is probably a different story. I assume several are leaving. So, whomever gets the job is going to need a lot of bodies -- quickly.

In what will be a VERY strong West next season, it could be a long Year 1 for the new regime.

Comment

Over on the Roddy blog, there are people debating the facilities at Gannon and which venues in the PSAC are best. Which venues are best for BB? Consider for athletes, space to practice, lighting, locker rooms. Parking, comfort, convenience and value for fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Macktheknight View Post
          Over on the Roddy blog, there are people debating the facilities at Gannon and which venues in the PSAC are best. Which venues are best for BB? Consider for athletes, space to practice, lighting, locker rooms. Parking, comfort, convenience and value for fans.

Top 5 'best' venues in the PSAC (in my opinion ... I've been to all but one PSAC facility):

1. KCAC - Beautiful facility with all the amenities -- good (expensive) food, bar, parking, etc. It also has a Hilton 25' from the front door.

2. California - Great (empty) facility. It would be nice for a mid-major. Way too big for a small school. The home team draws 225 people in a 6,000 seat arena. But, it is very nice. Huge drawback: Atmosphere is that of a funeral. Maybe worse.

3. West Chester - Not the fanciest but nice enough. Old-school vibe. Crowd is right on the floor. Parking sucks, however.

4. East Stroudsburg - Feels like a big airplane hangar but has a nice setup. If they could close off the ends rather than have the giant abyss it would be much better.

5. Shippensburg - Similar to ESU in many aspects.

Honorable Mention: Millersville

Bottom 5 (worst):

1. Mercyhurst - The MAC feels like equal parts gym, cafeteria, weight room, theater, etc. The seating on the one side is awful. Way too far away from the court. The scoreboard has had light bulbs out for years. It's hard not to call it a dump.

2. Clarion - Granted, this is based on Tippin prior to the massive renovation. Tippin had its day. But that day was in the 1950s and 1960s. It felt and looked like a gym they could have filmed Hoosiers inside. When it was alive, however, it was one of the loudest around.

3. Gannon - Like Tippin, the Hammermill is a relic. Probably nice in its day, but by 2019 standards ... time to start over.

4. Seton Hill - The Yellow Shoebox. Parking is the worst in the league. Luckily it rarely matters. It's a bad high school gym. Put it that way.

5. Lock Haven - No bleachers behind the players' bench. Very odd layout. Luckily they only need about one row of bleachers to accommodate the crowds.

Comment

The Roddy blog... a lot of people on that blog that don't get the big picture! Blaming attendance on Reilly is the dumbest thing I've ever heard and that is just one of many dumb things those people post.

Comment

Several years ago I saw a list of future construction projects at Edinboro and one of them was a $30+ million renovation of McComb. I just went looking and the current list doesn't have that project. They're hiring a new president right now so hopefully that person can right the ship and make a plan for that. A Tippin style major renovation could be done (they have two excess basketball gyms plus the bubble) and possibly become a regional event center. RMU's new facility hasn't even opened yet but they're bringing in a ton of concerts that undoubtedly are renting the facility for many thousands of dollars. Erie's live music problem is that they have a small-mid sized arena, a concert hall, and a small outdoor ampetheater. They could use another option.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                The Roddy blog... a lot of people on that blog that don't get the big picture! Blaming attendance on Reilly is the dumbest thing I've ever heard and that is just one of many dumb things those people post.
                Outsiders2312 being the dumbest

Comment

Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post
                  Outsiders2312 being the dumbest
                  Don't worry, I see you at the mill all the time. Two faced as it gets! Nice to their face but trash them on here!

Comment

Don't worry, I see you at the mill all the time. Two faced as it gets! Nice to their face but trash them on here!
                    I quit watching Reilly basketball back in 2011. It made my eyes bleed. How can you see me there? Are you a pathological liar also?

Comment

I don't know what else to call it. I know a few of those posters. When the Brunelli thing came out in the news a few years back, they should have canned him then. Reilly probably should stop running practice disguised as a shoot around on game day and learn how to rest his best guys for the long season and build a deeper bench. Reilly is a classy guy though, I'll give him that. I wouldn't blame the entire attendance issue on one team though. It's the entire approach by the athletic department and university in general that hasn't helped build fans on and off campus. College students like free stuff. College students also like to watch their friends play. Casual fans like action, and entertainment. $5 is pretty low as far as admission prices go, but to build fans you gotta start 'em young. I don't think you can put that on one person or one team. The Admin has to change the current strategy because it obviously isn't working. It's not 1988 anymore.

Comment

I don't know what else to call it. I know a few of those posters. When the Brunelli thing came out in the news a few years back, they should have canned him then. Reilly probably should stop running practice disguised as a shoot around on game day and learn how to rest his best guys for the long season and build a deeper bench. Reilly is a classy guy though, I'll give him that. I wouldn't blame the entire attendance issue on one team though. It's the entire approach by the athletic department and university in general that hasn't helped build fans on and off campus. College students like free stuff. College students also like to watch their friends play. Casual fans like action, and entertainment. $5 is pretty low as far as admission prices go, but to build fans you gotta start 'em young. I don't think you can put that on one person or one team. The Admin has to change the current strategy because it obviously isn't working. It's not 1988 anymore.
                        The fact that students have to pay to attend is absurd! They won't come if they have to pay! The Gannon athletic department lacking is an understatement.

I don't disagree with the Reilly "walk throughs" either. I've said it before, you need to rest legs. Walk throughs are fine as long as they are a legit walk through. Reilly's were full steam practices. This would be my only issue with him. It's an easy fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post
                          I quit watching Reilly basketball back in 2011. It made my eyes bleed. How can you see me there? Are you a pathological liar also?
                          2011... then you have no right to speak on the topics since you don't watch or attend games. Just proves you're a bigger idiot than I first thought.

Hook, line and sinker!!! You aren't very bright!!!

Comment

2011... then you have no right to speak on the topics since you don't watch or attend games. Just proves you're a bigger idiot than I first thought.

Hook, line and sinker!!! You aren't very bright!!!

Comment

You do realize I'm an IUP fan right???

Comment

You do realize I'm an IUP fan right???
                                An IUP fan that adores JR

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...