Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gannon

The world would be a better place with more JR's in it.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      The world would be a better place with more JR's in it.
      Agree completely. You are welcome to agree with anything about his approach to basketball (I certainly don't agree with everything), but JR is an outstanding person who puts others ahead of himself. As IUPbigI says, he'll land a new gig soon if he wants to coach next year.

Gannon students have to pay to get into the games? My understanding is that GU students were free with an ID, with the exception of postseason games. It's been a while since I was a student, so I admittedly haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Next year will be the 70th anniversary of basketball in the Hammermill Center!

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
          Agree completely. You are welcome to agree with anything about his approach to basketball (I certainly don't agree with everything), but JR is an outstanding person who puts others ahead of himself. As IUPbigI says, he'll land a new gig soon if he wants to coach next year.

Gannon students have to pay to get into the games? My understanding is that GU students were free with an ID, with the exception of postseason games. It's been a while since I was a student, so I admittedly haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Macktheknight View Post
            No, they get in free with their ID. I was addressing the $5 for the public general admission. Students I believe have to go around to Peach Street for entrance. But on a Friday or Saturday what do college kids do?
            They don't go to D2 sporting events. I can tell you that much.

Comment

Exactly, my point. The students that are there, are there to watch their friends. Heck, most of the students on campus these days are athletes. I don't know what the solution is, but current strategy is not working.

Comment

Exactly, my point. The students that are there, are there to watch their friends. Heck, most of the students on campus these days are athletes. I don't know what the solution is, but current strategy is not working.
                I can't speak for the Gannon situation. We've discussed the IUP problem for years.

Coming from an alumni and somebody who attends every game, the IUP student attendance issue is very simple. The atmosphere is dull. It's boring. Yes, the games are good. But, it takes much more than good basketball to attract that age group.

The IUP game night atmosphere is geared toward the 45-85 (yes, 85) demographic. The KCAC does have a public bar, but no students can afford to go in there -- not likely a coincidence.

The KCAC has the technology to get fancy -- light shows, replay board, killer sound system, etc., Yet, the game feels like it's 1985 in the Memorial Field House.

Long story short, the games are seen as boring. IUP plays all Saturday night games. You want to attract students on a Saturday night ... you best be putting on a show. It has to be an event ... has to be 'hype' and 'lit' (and all those other words IUP24 can fill you in on).

On the other hand, Gannon plays a lot of Saturday afternoon games. Those are even worse for getting students to attend.

IUP had one incredible atmosphere this year -- and that was the night they clobbered Slippery Rock by 30 points. That was a legitimate college basketball atmosphere. SRU was mentally checked out during warm-ups. From the time they came out they were jumped by a (very rare) charged up student section. That was one of the best crowds ever at the KCAC -- not the actual biggest per the gate but one of the most enthusiastic. SRU had no chance that night. None.

I guess it takes getting a team full of one-year mercenaries in town to get the IUP students excited. Who knew?

The other main issue at the KCAC is the student section is actually divided. Makes no sense. The 'student section' is across from the IUP bench. The 'other' unofficial student section is at the bend of the horseshoe. They all need to be together. Keep in mind seating inside the KCAC is like a Holy War -- in particular down low. Most of the programs' biggest donors get floor seats across from the benches. The side behind the benches requires an AARP card (joking ... but, not really).

Section 112 is center court across from the benches -- and is home to all the heavyweight donors. They can't move them. But, Sections 111 and 113 should be students in the first 10 rows off the floor.

For the most part, the KCAC goes out of its way to make the game-night atmosphere terrible. Student attendance is the proof.

#lady-in-red

Comment

Tell that to the Reilly haters that are blaming him for the attendance issues!

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                    Tell that to the Reilly haters that are blaming him for the attendance issues!
                    They can be lucky they aren't UPJ or Cal ... and average 200 a game.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                      They can be lucky they aren't UPJ or Cal ... and average 200 a game.
                      The other thing that doesn't help matters for Gannon is the Erie Bayhawks - an NBA G-league team playing a few blocks away. Their games are much more fun - my son would rather go there than to Gannon - and they get anyone with kids. Next year is likely the last year for the Bayhawks - they are temporarily hosting the Pelicans' affiliate while their arena is under renovation. The likely demise of the Bayhawks could represent an opportunity for Gannon. Let's see if the Knights can take advantage

Comment

https://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-4-12-19/ Gannon conducting phone interviews of a small group.

Comment

Originally posted by PSACwatcher View Post
                          https://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-4-12-19/ Gannon conducting phone interviews of a small group.
                          Hahahahaha! Doesn't shock me at all. Best way to hire someone... let's just talk to them on a phone!

Comment

Hahahahaha! Doesn't shock me at all. Best way to hire someone... let's just talk to them on a phone!
                            Pretty standard practice. With technology you can speak with someone face to face without having travel expenses. Finalists will do on campus enterviews before a final decision is made. Is that clear enough for you moron.

Comment

Phone-screen interviews are pretty common for narrowing down a field.

The comment is interesting. It could mean either that Gannon has a pretty mediocre list of applicants, their qualifications are strict, or that they have someone in mind and are choosing a limited list to speed up the interview process.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
                                Phone-screen interviews are pretty common for narrowing down a field.

The comment is interesting. It could mean either that Gannon has a pretty mediocre list of applicants, their qualifications are strict, or that they have someone in mind and are choosing a limited list to speed up the interview process.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X