Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gannon

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
    I see your point as the second time around is rarely as successful as the first time.

But if you wiped all the names off the resume ... a .700 winning percentage as a D-II head coach, including two regional championships (and a final 4), three league championships. A stint at D-i where he struggled. High character, great team academics and community engagement. Still a relatively young guy. Who wouldn't jump at that candidate? Who are you going to get that's better and more proven?
    You nailed it perfectly! Gannon fans should be very thankful for all of this!

Just as an IUP bleacher creature I can say that I really enjoyed watching his teams. First rate program. Great players who I recall had fantastic academic achievement.

Great hire, Gannon!

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
      Nobody said Cleve isn't a good coach. This AD has had a chip on her shoulder for these two coaches and has wanted to make her mark on these programs with her hires. She didn't hire her person!!! She hired a previous AD's hire and is now trying to call it her own. Yes, Cleve is a Character guy, winning coach, etc! SO was John Reilly!!! He was everything you just stated! The AD is a farse! period!!!

Comment

Yep, you are still a moron! I bet you're cheering for the Chapman hire.

Comment

Wasn't there a big mess with Brunelli's wife causing major scenes at games or something?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            Wasn't there a big mess with Brunelli's wife causing major scenes at games or something?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              Goodness ... This is still a thing? I was there for the "major scene." Gannon played an awful first half several years against Edinboro and was down by something like 25 points -- emotions and frustrations were running high. A fan was walking behind the bench while both teams were in the locker rooms and was loudly complaining about team's first half performance. Brunelli's wife spoke up rather loudly defending the team & coaches, etc. The fan responded back and she responded again. The fan walked away and it was over in a couple of minutes. Someone else with an axe to grind against Brunelli mentioned the spat in a blog comment and it became a far bigger deal that it should have been. I know both the fan and Brunelli's wife -- both are very nice people who care a lot about Gannon basketball. I sit (or sat) fairly close to the Brunelli family at games and there were no other incidents that I know of.

Comment

Goodness ... This is still a thing? I was there for the "major scene." Gannon played an awful first half several years against Edinboro and was down by something like 25 points -- emotions and frustrations were running high. A fan was walking behind the bench while both teams were in the locker rooms and was loudly complaining about team's first half performance. Brunelli's wife spoke up rather loudly defending the team & coaches, etc. The fan responded back and she responded again. The fan walked away and it was over in a couple of minutes. Someone else with an axe to grind against Brunelli mentioned the spat in a blog comment and it became a far bigger deal that it should have been. I know both the fan and Brunelli's wife -- both are very nice people who care a lot about Gannon basketball. I sit (or sat) fairly close to the Brunelli family at games and there were no other incidents that I know of.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mjtheman;2372000]

Comment

[QUOTE=IUPalum;2372024]Gannon won the Atlantic Region in Cleves last year. Brunelli had all five starters return from that team. When one starter quits because of him that says a lot about how well he handled the pressure and people. It only got worse from there. Painful to watch the collapse. Happy to see him gone.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mjtheman;2372032]

Gannon won the Atlantic Region in Cleves last year. Brunelli had all five starters return from that team. When one starter quits because of him that says a lot about how well he handled the pressure and people. It only got worse from there. Painful to watch the collapse. Happy to see him gone.
                      "Starters" quit on coaches all the time. Maybe said "starter" wasn't tough enough or couldn't handle change. Either way, that guy never had front office support! PERIOD!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=IUPalum;2372033]
                        Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post

"Starters" quit on coaches all the time. Maybe said "starter" wasn't tough enough or couldn't handle change. Either way, that guy never had front office support! PERIOD!!!
                        Still bitter about Reilly. Get over it.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mjtheman;2372038]

Still bitter about Reilly. Get over it.
                          God I'm going to love watching you cry in the stands!

Comment

These coaching changes can be strange when players the "out" coach recruited are handed over to the "in" coach. First there's the question of whether they would have chosen the school had the new coach been in place. I know you're supposed to pick the school not the coach, but that isn't always the case. BRUNELLI signed ALI BENIM (Harbor Creek HS, Erie) and MARGO LOUTZENHISER (Warren HS, Warren ) both 5'8" G, and top D10 players. Can't say if either fit CLEVES style of play but it is a nice starting point. Which leads to the discussion of whether players should be allowed to decommit. CALU wouldn't mind having another WHS DRAGON to follow DJ HAHN in the Valley.

Comment

Yes, the Gannon message board posters started referring to LeMoyne as "Gannon North." They played a large role in an East Regional championship and an Elite Eight berth.

There were also two or three players that transferred to Florida Southern and were key players on their national championship squad.

Gannon had six four-year players in Reilly's 14-year tenure. For context, Mercyhurst had 19 four-year players from 2008-09 to 2018-19.
                              For some reason, I vaguely remember the Florida Southern title run and some Gannon transfers being a part of that roster (not to mention, Stan Swank's son being an assistant on the Florida Southern coaching staff ... and that Florida Southern beat IUP for the national title). But, the LeMoyne situation jumped out at me.
                              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                                For some reason, I vaguely remember the Florida Southern title run and some Gannon transfers being a part of that roster (not to mention, Stan Swank's son being an assistant on the Florida Southern coaching staff ... and that Florida Southern beat IUP for the national title). But, the LeMoyne situation jumped out at me.

I think that 2014-15 Gannon team was one of JR's better editions. That was the year IUP made the national title game but they did lose 2 of 3 to Gannon that year (including the walk-off deep trey in the PSAC title game). That was the GU team that had beat SRU three times but then got upset by the Rock in the opening round of the NCAAs.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X