X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Gannon

Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post
    GU WBB
    brings in so xfr from Ursuline College (GMAC) 5'9 G Emily Poling of Defiance Oh
    Oddly better 3PT % than FG% with great FT% on limited tries. Ball handling is suspect 40 TO/13STL

Comment

https://gannonsports.com/news/2019/5...px?path=mbball

Kelvin Jefferson announced his two assistant coaches. Not sure what experience in "grassroots" basketball means.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post

Kelvin Jefferson announced his two assistant coaches. Not sure what experience in "grassroots" basketball means.
        Slightly odd resume because neither of these men seem to have experience in recruiting which tends to be a primary function of assistants in college basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
          Slightly odd resume because neither of these men seem to have experience in recruiting which tends to be a primary function of assistants in college basketball.
          I saw that dirty acronym in the press release about the coaches - AAU
          Hopefully my concerns are unfounded and it works out and no kids get exploited.

Comment

Coach Jefferson is known for recruiting. Probably split the scouting duties between the 3 of them and then he'll be the one to seal deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post

Grassroots... sounds like they aren't very experienced resume wise and they are Jefferson's boys.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                Grassroots... sounds like they aren't very experienced resume wise and they are Jefferson's boys.
                Sounds like a fancy way of saying GU gave him $30k to hire two assistants.

Comment

"Grassroots" is a term that proponents of the AAU basketball throw around. I guess it is supposed to mean that the AAU is more natural, free flowing and unrestrictive while the "traditional" way of playing basketball (Jr High team, JV HS team, Varsity SH team, college) is more "structured," rigid and restrictive.

With these two assistants, I would imagine that a premium will be placed on scouting and recruiting from AAU vice traditional HS. Look for your future teams to play a lot of isolation one-on-one, not a lot of passing and probably even less defense. If you are looking for an analog, look at Glenville.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                    "Grassroots" is a term that proponents of the AAU basketball throw around. I guess it is supposed to mean that the AAU is more natural, free flowing and unrestrictive while the "traditional" way of playing basketball (Jr High team, JV HS team, Varsity SH team, college) is more "structured," rigid and restrictive.

With these two assistants, I would imagine that a premium will be placed on scouting and recruiting from AAU vice traditional HS. Look for your future teams to play a lot of isolation one-on-one, not a lot of passing and probably even less defense. If you are looking for an analog, look at Glenville.
                    A little different than the previous GU offensive machines. Note: sarcasm

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                      Sounds like a fancy way of saying GU gave him $30k to hire two assistants.
                      That and he found two hungry guys who not only will work for cheap but have a track record of doing what they're told in thankless jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by bballfan03 View Post
                        Coach Jefferson is known for recruiting. Probably split the scouting duties between the 3 of them and then he'll be the one to seal deal.
                        HC is always the one to seal the deal but most of the scouting road trip dirty work is handled by the assistants if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

HC is always the one to seal the deal but most of the scouting road trip dirty work is handled by the assistants if I'm not mistaken.
                          Believe it or not, there's not even a lot of that 'sitting in gyms' stuff that goes on anymore in recruiting. The vast majority of programs are just doing it from the internet. Most have little to no budget to be traveling much at this level. A lot of schools will invite serious targets to campus.

You'd be shocked how many are signing kids sight-unseen.

Comment

Head Coach obviously has final say, but in most cases doesn't get involved until the assistant coach is "100% sure" this kid needs to come here. Coach Reilly was much more hands on with recruiting than that (and sat many hours in gymnasiums watching games) and I think Coach Jefferson will be more involved earlier in the process since he has a knack for recruiting (per bio).

Comment

Basically this team will be Edinboro...

Comment

Basically this team will be Edinboro...
                                On the bright side, ... one less 63-52 IUP win we have to watch each year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X