Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    For being a huge game, there may be 12 people in the Angelo Dome 13 minutes before opening tip.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
    Another local high school player that could help IUP is Lydia Miller at Marion Center. She put up 27 last night in the District 6 semi-finals and led MC to a one point upset win over previously unbeaten and #1 AA team in the state, Bishop McCort. Even more impressive was it was on McCort’s home floor. They were double and triple teaming her at the end and still couldn’t stop her. She also has IUP ties with former MC and IUP player Amy Fairman being her aunt and current high school head coach. Miller is a standout in multiple sports winning the Heritage Conference cross country championship while also being an all-star in softball and track.

It’s an all Heritage Conference final again as MC will play Portage for the championship. When it comes to women’s basketball, IUP has very fertile ground right in the back yard for recruiting as discussed before, and last I looked, there are some openings on the roster.
    What a huge win for the Stingers.

And, yes, IUP should be on campus over there this morning.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Another local high school player that could help IUP is Lydia Miller at Marion Center. She put up 27 last night in the District 6 semi-finals and led MC to a one point upset win over previously unbeaten and #1 AA team in the state, Bishop McCort. Even more impressive was it was on McCort’s home floor. They were double and triple teaming her at the end and still couldn’t stop her. She also has IUP ties with former MC and IUP player Amy Fairman being her aunt and current high school head coach. Miller is a standout in multiple sports winning the Heritage Conference cross country championship while also being an all-star in softball and track.

It’s an all Heritage Conference final again as MC will play Portage for the championship. When it comes to women’s basketball, IUP has very fertile ground right in the back yard for recruiting as discussed before, and last I looked, there are some openings on the roster.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Not the prettiest game of the season but a 57-42 win for the IUP ladies.
    The game went how I thought it might. Sometimes the hardest games to play are the ones where you know you’re going to win before you get off the bus. All eyes are on the game at Cal Wednesday night where IUP can clinch a first round bye in the PSAC tournament. It also has regional ranking implications. Even if IUP loses to Call they only have to beat Clarion on Saturday to finish second in the division. I think they’ve clinched an NCAA bid at this point but a win at Cal would cement that.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Not the prettiest game of the season but a 57-42 win for the IUP ladies.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Football is a full-time “job” these days, even at the high school level in some places. Frankly, all of the sports seem to be almost full time, which is unfortunate in a lot of ways. I think it would be a pretty unique situation for a college football coach to be okay with a player also playing basketball. I think I recall football players also being on the track team here before. Maybe that still happen but I don’t follow track to know. We’ve seen a few two sport athletes at IUP on the women’s side. Grace Mangapora played volleyball and basketball recently and a littler further back Amy Fairman played basketball and softball.
    It does lend to scholarship creativity. Uran Myer took full advantage of it when he first got to Florida and wanted as many stars as he could get. He was recruiting football studs who call also be elite track runners (and having track pick up the full ride).

Obviously in D2 there isn't much track money. However, Tort and Joe could certainly split the bill on the right player (think back to Gary Edwards and the player we no longer speak of).

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

Never seen an 18-5 team take out a Help Wanted add in February but desperate times require desperate measures.

Edinboro has at least one football player on its men's team this year. The previous regime up there used to do that frequently.

There's surely a lot of good hoopers on our football teams. I'm actually surprised we don't see it more often. I imagine some coaches (football) would frown upon it.
    Football is a full-time “job” these days, even at the high school level in some places. Frankly, all of the sports seem to be almost full time, which is unfortunate in a lot of ways. I think it would be a pretty unique situation for a college football coach to be okay with a player also playing basketball. I think I recall football players also being on the track team here before. Maybe that still happen but I don’t follow track to know. We’ve seen a few two sport athletes at IUP on the women’s side. Grace Mangapora played volleyball and basketball recently and a littler further back Amy Fairman played basketball and softball.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I saw Healy on the roster the other day but couldn’t place her around the team. If nothing else it’s another practice body. They can’t be getting great work in practice with just eight healthy bodies.
    Never seen an 18-5 team take out a Help Wanted add in February but desperate times require desperate measures.

Edinboro has at least one football player on its men's team this year. The previous regime up there used to do that frequently.

There's surely a lot of good hoopers on our football teams. I'm actually surprised we don't see it more often. I imagine some coaches (football) would frown upon it.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Strange season keeps getting stranger. There is a new addition to the roster. It seems IUP has added a player off the street (from the IUP student body, actually).

Maureen Healy looks to be a guard. She had a pretty nice high school career at Quakertown (PA) where she averaged 15 PPG.

I guess being one foul away from finishing a game with four players last week was a wake-up call.

Regardless, it's nice to have another player.
    I saw Healy on the roster the other day but couldn’t place her around the team. If nothing else it’s another practice body. They can’t be getting great work in practice with just eight healthy bodies.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    It was ugly, but the ladies returned the favor against Boro by hitting a game winner with just .1 on the clock. There wasn’t anything pretty in this game except the final play that got Henderson free. They didn’t panic, stuck with the play, and got it done. A win is a win, especially on the road after being down 13 (maybe more) at one point.

As good as Weaver was last time out, she was equally awful today. Let’s hope consistency isn’t her issue. I’ll give her some grace considering she’s still figuring out how to be the starter and play 35 minutes per game. She did rebound well. I think IUP may have made a couple threes all afternoon. Dreadful shooting performance, but Boro may have been worse.
    Edinboro is a tough matchup for IUP this year. Each game has been a thriller. That would be a real interesting Round 3. They are both very strong on defense.

The Scots' record is deceiving. I've seen them twice and can't believe they have 10 losses.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Strange season keeps getting stranger. There is a new addition to the roster. It seems IUP has added a player off the street (from the IUP student body, actually).

Maureen Healy looks to be a guard. She had a pretty nice high school career at Quakertown (PA) where she averaged 15 PPG.

I guess being one foul away from finishing a game with four players last week was a wake-up call.

Regardless, it's nice to have another player.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    It was ugly, but the ladies returned the favor against Boro by hitting a game winner with just .1 on the clock. There wasn’t anything pretty in this game except the final play that got Henderson free. They didn’t panic, stuck with the play, and got it done. A win is a win, especially on the road after being down 13 (maybe more) at one point.

As good as Weaver was last time out, she was equally awful today. Let’s hope consistency isn’t her issue. I’ll give her some grace considering she’s still figuring out how to be the starter and play 35 minutes per game. She did rebound well. I think IUP may have made a couple threes all afternoon. Dreadful shooting performance, but Boro may have been worse.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Huge comeback and win. Quite the ending.
    Best ending of the year both IUP teams!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Huge comeback and win. Quite the ending.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Tough road trip for the ladies today. Edinboro is always a headache - especially in McComb.
    Pathetic first quarter but I can’t believe Edinboro will continue to shoot that well the entire game. They were red hot and IUP was ice cold. They need to get this lead to half of what it is now before half.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X