Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPalum
    replied
    No excuse to be up big then get blown out!

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    And that’s the end to a very strange season for IUP. Interesting to see Jarrett and Benito putting up significant numbers on the score sheet. Those two scored a combined 16 points while Cerro, Baughman, and Centrulla combined for just 14. That is an incredible stat that nobody could have predicted. We’ll miss Maria and her leadership but she had as many turnovers as she did points last night with six. Tough way for her to go out. Scott had three turnovers in just 10 minutes. Centrulla was 1-5 from the floor. Henderson and Weaver played well.

In addition to the transfers already signed they need to find a forward and bring in some high school recruits. Hopefully they make a short drive up to Marion Center and get Lydia Miller. She was dominant again in the state playoffs leading MC to the final four by scoring 23 points while often being double and triple teamed. She also had several steals and was a force on the defensive end.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
    IUP got a better draw with Fayetteville State in the first round. That’s a game I think they can win. Realistically I think we’re looking at a Gannon vs Fairmont State final. I don’t see this as a great field overall.
    All things considered, I think it was a great draw for IUP.

They avoided Fairmont State (at home) in Round 1.

Fayetteville State has some serious size and it is a physical team. It won't be easy but I think IUP's fundamentals can win the day. They (FSU) actually remind me of the Virgina Union team Joe beat last year in Round 2.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    IUP got a better draw with Fayetteville State in the first round. That’s a game I think they can win. Realistically I think we’re looking at a Gannon vs Fairmont State final. I don’t see this as a great field overall.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    It looks like IUP will get into the dance despite limping in. None of the other contenders rose to the occasion so in an odd way, maybe having the extra practice time helps IUP. Hard to say.

Here is my prediction and it’s pretty close to what the last regional ranking was except for Cal jumping over IUP. That’s significant because that would force the ladies to play Fairmont State again and that didn’t go well the first time. If that’s how it turns out I’d put IUP as a 7-10 point underdog. Had they beaten Cal one of the two times it would have been a more favorable matchup with Lock Haven, which probably would have finished 3rd or 4th in the West.

1. Gannon
    2. Fayetteville State
    3. Fairmont State
    4. Lock Haven
    5. California
    6. IUP
    7. West Chester
    8. Virginia State

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I don’t disagree with you. The Preston loss was particularly bad though given they were already shorthanded and you know the game well and certainly understand the domino effect there. I think what you’re saying is valid though in that despite those challenges, they gave up big leads twice to Cal that resulted in bad losses. It’s hard to attribute that to Preston for sure. It’s also not lost on me that this is a team that beat Gannon without her, and hell, I had forgotten about Adams.

This team has some holes to fill for next year. Cerro has some elements to her game that you’re just not going to replace immediately, particularly her leadership and program experience. Henderson is more replaceable in my opinion. They need a power forward with some toughness to work with Weaver. Grace will be better if she’s not asked to pound the boards, even at 6’1”. She’s better as a screener at the top who can also hit some 3’s. Similar role to Ethan on the men’s side (not making a direct comparison, obviously). When she got forced under the basket…yikes. Not her strong suit. It will also be nice to see what Macy can do as a guard where she should be playing. She’s a sharpshooter and good defender out front, but was just too small to be playing forward like she had to. Baughman should be a prolific scorer. I assume they’ll be looking for a couple transfers and hopefully a nice high school recruiting class.
    Maria's replacement is already here. Remember they added the Millersville transfer.

Adams is done. Not coming back despite eligibility.

Correct, they need another banger. Grace is more like a hybrid guard.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's just not Preston. Consider this team has two starters gone for the season (both started 30 games each last year) in Preston and Gina Adams.

Regardless, nobody outside of the KCAC cares about injury problems.

Fact is if you're up 8 points with 6:52 left you have to finish the game.

They overcame a terrible start and had all the momentum. It's a disheartening loss. This is two years in a row they lost in the tournament at home.

They are an extreme bubble team now. It's a shame.
    I don’t disagree with you. The Preston loss was particularly bad though given they were already shorthanded and you know the game well and certainly understand the domino effect there. I think what you’re saying is valid though in that despite those challenges, they gave up big leads twice to Cal that resulted in bad losses. It’s hard to attribute that to Preston for sure. It’s also not lost on me that this is a team that beat Gannon without her, and hell, I had forgotten about Adams.

This team has some holes to fill for next year. Cerro has some elements to her game that you’re just not going to replace immediately, particularly her leadership and program experience. Henderson is more replaceable in my opinion. They need a power forward with some toughness to work with Weaver. Grace will be better if she’s not asked to pound the boards, even at 6’1”. She’s better as a screener at the top who can also hit some 3’s. Similar role to Ethan on the men’s side (not making a direct comparison, obviously). When she got forced under the basket…yikes. Not her strong suit. It will also be nice to see what Macy can do as a guard where she should be playing. She’s a sharpshooter and good defender out front, but was just too small to be playing forward like she had to. Baughman should be a prolific scorer. I assume they’ll be looking for a couple transfers and hopefully a nice high school recruiting class.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

You’re also not going to win when your leading scorer disappears in big games. I don’t know if teams started to figure Henderson out the second time through, if losing Preston impacted her role (she ended up playing underneath a bunch), or she just wore down but she wasn’t the same player down the stretch. She missed several layups and ended up with five points when she averages triple that. Not good enough.

What got lost in the disappointment of the loss was how Cerro dominated Nina Shaw, Cal’s PG. My wife’s hardly a basketball guru and at one point she said, “Maria is embarrassing that girl.” Maria as a freshman and even sophomore versus her play as a junior and senior is like night and day. She’s also a great leader and will be sorely missed.

Also lost was the horrendous officiating, particularly that short weasely dude. He is the worst official in the PSAC, and maybe the planet. You can guarantee he’ll find a way to put himself in the spotlight by going to the monitor to review something. He blew several key calls down the stretch in critical moments. There was also the cheap shot that one of the Cal players gave to Henderson late in the game that somehow everyone in the arena saw but none of the three officials did. I’m not blaming the loss on officiating but it sure didn’t help.
    It's just not Preston. Consider this team has two starters gone for the season (both started 30 games each last year) in Preston and Gina Adams.

Regardless, nobody outside of the KCAC cares about injury problems.

Fact is if you're up 8 points with 6:52 left you have to finish the game.

They overcame a terrible start and had all the momentum. It's a disheartening loss. This is two years in a row they lost in the tournament at home.

They are an extreme bubble team now. It's a shame.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    If you want to vomit again, just read the Gazette article.
    You’re also not going to win when your leading scorer disappears in big games. I don’t know if teams started to figure Henderson out the second time through, if losing Preston impacted her role (she ended up playing underneath a bunch), or she just wore down but she wasn’t the same player down the stretch. She missed several layups and ended up with five points when she averages triple that. Not good enough.

What got lost in the disappointment of the loss was how Cerro dominated Nina Shaw, Cal’s PG. My wife’s hardly a basketball guru and at one point she said, “Maria is embarrassing that girl.” Maria as a freshman and even sophomore versus her play as a junior and senior is like night and day. She’s also a great leader and will be sorely missed.

Also lost was the horrendous officiating, particularly that short weasely dude. He is the worst official in the PSAC, and maybe the planet. You can guarantee he’ll find a way to put himself in the spotlight by going to the monitor to review something. He blew several key calls down the stretch in critical moments. There was also the cheap shot that one of the Cal players gave to Henderson late in the game that somehow everyone in the arena saw but none of the three officials did. I’m not blaming the loss on officiating but it sure didn’t help.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    If you want to vomit again, just read the Gazette article.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

Him and Joe refuse to call timeouts. It must be an ego thing. Drives me nuts.
    I understood it with Joe when he had the veteran teams. Some of those guys were coaches on the floor. You just trusted they would figure it out. That’s not the case this year for sure.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I don’t understand holding on to the timeouts. He had opportunities to slow Cal’s momentum but he didn’t. On two consecutive possessions Maria was obviously gassed down the stretch as were several others. I’ve tried to give him the benefit of the doubt because of the depleted roster he’s dealing with but that has nothing to do with managing the game once you’re in it. I would agree with others who have said he was out-coached tonight.
    Him and Joe refuse to call timeouts. It must be an ego thing. Drives me nuts.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    Maybe someday Carey will learn how to coach in game.
    I don’t understand holding on to the timeouts. He had opportunities to slow Cal’s momentum but he didn’t. On two consecutive possessions Maria was obviously gassed down the stretch as were several others. I’ve tried to give him the benefit of the doubt because of the depleted roster he’s dealing with but that has nothing to do with managing the game once you’re in it. I would agree with others who have said he was out-coached tonight, and the last time these two played.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP1423 View Post
    Who was it on here that said the IUP women could win the PSAC?
    IUP with Preston is not IUP without her. That’s when that comment was made. You can’t lose your best rebounder and second leading scorer, not to mention the energy she brings, and expect great results. The domino effect of losing her was significant and everyone else’s scoring averages dropped when she left. That’s not an excuse. It’s fact and the stats are there for anyone to look at.

Saying that, IUP gave this one away much like they gave away the last meeting with Cal. I think it was a 15-2 run to end the game and the play drawn up at the end was either awful, or awfully executed. Credit to Cal for never giving up and fighting back but IUP sure rolled out the red carpet for them down the stretch.
    Last edited by EyeoftheHawk; 03-06-2024, 07:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    Maybe someday Carey will learn how to coach in game.
    Such an awful loss. When a perceived major program hires a guy with no experience ... tonight is what you get.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X