Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '21-'22 VULCANS MBB

Still waiting for this roster as well although DS usually doesn't post until somewhat later. Probably a good idea since a lot of his player's commitments seem to written in disappearing ink. The '20-'21 roster had 2-Sr, 3-Jr, 3-So and 7-Fr and I don't honesty believe the '21-'22 version will look anything like that. There is an apparent full team shot on Twitter but not a close up and no numbers in sight. Probably won't see this roster until second week of November.

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    Still waiting for this roster as well although DS usually doesn't post until somewhat later. Probably a good idea since a lot of his player's commitments seem to written in disappearing ink. The '20-'21 roster had 2-Sr, 3-Jr, 3-So and 7-Fr and I don't honesty believe the '21-'22 version will look anything like that. There is an apparent full team shot on Twitter but not a close up and no numbers in sight. Probably won't see this roster until second week of November.
    Poor retention has been a theme down there under DS. Any theories?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Poor retention has been a theme down there under DS. Any theories?
      Probably varies from player to player. His "game personality" isn't Bobby Knight by a long shot but it is old school loud and some of today's players haven't been brought up that way. A number of recruits are probably over-impressed by the ANGELO DOME only to realize the reality of a 25% (at best) house come the season. DS is still recruiting kids I would call bad fits at nice state school in a nowhere town with a funny name. Some of them ( the kid from Ork) are so far from realistic, I wonder he wastes the time doing the paperwork. In one instance the issue was a 6' 7/8" young man who thought he was a Magic/LeBron player, but DS saw him as a shooting forward. Actually I find it more interesting that some players will absolutely run through a wall for him. Just not enough. But I'm willing to see how far he can take things.

Comment

Probably varies from player to player. His "game personality" isn't Bobby Knight by a long shot but it is old school loud and some of today's players haven't been brought up that way. A number of recruits are probably over-impressed by the ANGELO DOME only to realize the reality of a 25% (at best) house come the season. DS is still recruiting kids I would call bad fits at nice state school in a nowhere town with a funny name. Some of them ( the kid from Ork) are so far from realistic, I wonder he wastes the time doing the paperwork. In one instance the issue was a 6' 7/8" young man who thought he was a Magic/LeBron player, but DS saw him as a shooting forward. Actually I find it more interesting that some players will absolutely run through a wall for him. Just not enough. But I'm willing to see how far he can take things.
        Sancomb is a fine coach but probably not as good as his resume showed. At Wheeling, he benefitted greatly from being a "Catholic" college. Natural pipeline from Catholic high schools. At Cal, he doesn't have that natural pipeline and is struggling a bit to bring in/keep players willing to play his style.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Sancomb is a fine coach but probably not as good as his resume showed. At Wheeling, he benefitted greatly from being a "Catholic" college. Natural pipeline from Catholic high schools. At Cal, he doesn't have that natural pipeline and is struggling a bit to bring in/keep players willing to play his style.
          DS is still fishing those private school waters and with some success. Players on that '20-'21 roster came from schools such as The Severn School, Annapolis Christian, St John Paul the Great, The Miller School and Kiski School. Tuitions range from $15000-$45000 per year. Having gone to a parochial hs I know the privileged attitude is pervasive and it felt a bit common when I arrived in the Mon Valley. I adapted, many others don't who are the players I referred to as "bad fits". If he's able to establish a new tradition of winning, which was the case not so long ago, I expect more players will tolerate the publicness of it all.

Comment

A lot of unfamiliar faces, but we've come to expect that in a Sancomb team....

https://mobile.twitter.com/CALU_mbb/...999812/photo/1

Comment

2021-22 SCHEDULE...

https://calvulcans.com/sports/mens-b...hedule/2021-22

Comment

Very tough non-conference schedule at the start. That's three of the MEC's best teams.

I think Cal has a fantastic 1-5 this year. Players 6-8 will tell the tale.

Comment

It's still hard for me to fathom IUP and Cal have both games on a Wednesday night. That was the primetime Saturday night game of the year for so long.

Comment

Very tough non-conference schedule at the start. That's three of the MEC's best teams.

I'll comment when I see some of the faces above are matched with names .

Comment

I'll comment when I see some of the faces above are matched with names .
                      Well, you only need to know who the Top 7 are under DS. Nobody else is playing anyway.

If Sancomb and Lombardi had their way they'd play 5 on 5 iron man for 40 minutes.

Comment

Two of the MECs best teams...Be hard pressed to call Glenville anything but middle of the pack. They run and can catch a team off guard but they don't seem to grasp the concept of defense. They may start HOT but more often than not, they fade down the stretch.

Comment

Well, you only need to know who the Top 7 are under DS. Nobody else is playing anyway.

If Sancomb and Lombardi had their way they'd play 5 on 5 iron man for 40 minutes.
                          Actually in '19-20 DS played 8 ranging from 25-30 mpg and his top sub below that level got 18 mpg. The remaining 5 were in the 5-10 range. So I'd say a fairly wide rotation though I certainly can't say when #s 6-9 got their minutes.

Comment

Agree that schedule is tough.
                            charleston should be loaded and has tall talented players and play more deliberately. Ex d1 kobey lam could make noise. Boswell and Pegram should give them trouble.

Glenville is trying to play like wlu, with asst. Coach Brandon Smith (ex wlu player). However they need more quality depth to maintain that pace.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Agree that schedule is tough.
                              charleston should be loaded and has tall talented players and play more deliberately. Ex d1 kobey lam could make noise. Boswell and Pegram should give them trouble.

Glenville is trying to play like wlu, with asst. Coach Brandon Smith (ex wlu player). However they need more quality depth to maintain that pace.

You can see the influence of Smith on Glenville but you can only do so much as an assistant coach. While they are better, they are still largely run-and-gun with little defense. Another factor holding them back is depth...Last season WLU had 9 players play in every game while Glenville had 5. When you try to run the WLU style without depth, YOU are the one who has the "blackout!"

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X