Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible PSAC Tournament and Schedule Changes?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible PSAC Tournament and Schedule Changes?

Found a few interesting gems from last week's PSAC Men's and Women's basketball coaches meetings:

Both the men's and women's coaches unanimously approved a motion to move the PSAC tournament to a neutral site. While I get that attendance issues have long plagued PSAC tournaments considering they fall during spring break at most PSAC (at least PASSHE) schools, didn't the PSAC try this many years ago with little to no success?

Both the men's and women's coaches approved changes to start times for PSAC crossover games as follows:
    • Back-to-back games on a Saturday-Sunday: 1:00 p.m.
    • Back-to-back games on a Friday-Saturday: 3:00 p.m. Friday and 1:00 p.m. Saturday
    • Back-to-back games on weekdays: 3:00 p.m.
    • Single game on a weekend: 1:00 p.m.
    • Single game on a weekday: host decision for 5:30 or 6:00 p.m. (women's)/3 p.m. (men's)
    There was, however, some disagreement on this proposal:

Scheduled consecutive crossover games hosted by Eastern Division schools on (Fri/Sat) December 6 and 7 will be moved to (Sat/Sun) December 21 and 22. Scheduled single crossover game hosted by Eastern Division schools on December 21 will be moved to Saturday, December 7.

While the women's coaches passed the proposal unanimously, the men's coaches rejected the plan by a 7-4 vote.

It's very likely that the PSAC ADs addressed these proposals during their meeting yesterday with any proposed changes being brought to the PSAC Board of Directors at their May 21 meeting in Lock Haven.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
    Found a few interesting gems from last week's PSAC Men's and Women's basketball coaches meetings:

Both the men's and women's coaches unanimously approved a motion to move the PSAC tournament to a neutral site. While I get that attendance issues have long plagued PSAC tournaments considering they fall during spring break at most PSAC (at least PASSHE) schools, didn't the PSAC try this many years ago with little to no success?

Both the men's and women's coaches approved changes to start times for PSAC crossover games as follows:
    • Back-to-back games on a Friday-Saturday: 3:00 p.m. Friday and 1:00 p.m. Saturday
    • Single game on a weekday: host decision for 5:30 or 6:00 p.m. (women's)/3 p.m. (men's)

Scheduled consecutive crossover games hosted by Eastern Division schools on (Fri/Sat) December 6 and 7 will be moved to (Sat/Sun) December 21 and 22. Scheduled single crossover game hosted by Eastern Division schools on December 21 will be moved to Saturday, December 7.

While the women's coaches passed the proposal unanimously, the men's coaches rejected the plan by a 7-4 vote.

It's very likely that the PSAC ADs addressed these proposals during their meeting yesterday with any proposed changes being brought to the PSAC Board of Directors at their May 21 meeting in Lock Haven.
    Interesting. If they are going to a neutral site, what they ought to do is find a nice venue in the central part ey of the state and play at that site from the quarterfinals on. Play the quarters on Friday, the semis on Saturday, and the title game on Sunday. Doubt they would do that, though. If they don't want to play at a PSAC site, they ought to find something like a 6A high school that has a nice gym facility and promote the hell out of the tournament as a special event for that community. Given the average attendance we've had, they'd get lost in a really large arena such as the Giant Center in Hershey. I've often thought it would be great if the PSAC could put on charity games or tournaments, but I guess the NCAA frowns on that these days. You can gamble like crazy on games, but can't hold charity events.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Interesting. If they are going to a neutral site, what they ought to do is find a nice venue in the central part ey of the state and play at that site from the quarterfinals on. Play the quarters on Friday, the semis on Saturday, and the title game on Sunday. Doubt they would do that, though. If they don't want to play at a PSAC site, they ought to find something like a 6A high school that has a nice gym facility and promote the hell out of the tournament as a special event for that community. Given the average attendance we've had, they'd get lost in a really large arena such as the Giant Center in Hershey. I've often thought it would be great if the PSAC could put on charity games or tournaments, but I guess the NCAA frowns on that these days. You can gamble like crazy on games, but can't hold charity events.
      Mixed feelings on the neutral site.

On one hand, it eliminates the home-court advantage that neither team should have in a conference final.

It also eliminates, for example, a 30-1 IUP going on the road due to the automatic year-to-year East/West rotation.

The negative (solely my opinion):

Tournament Week in the PSAC was pretty special. It was unique to have so many teams get to host a 'playoff' game. Remember, the Regional usually falls on Spring Break.

Will anybody actually attend the finals at a neutral site? Sure, the die-hards will travel. But, there's only so many of them.

To me, if you go neutral, the whole tournament goes neutral (not just the final). Follow the MEC format, for example.

The logical location, perhaps, could be State College. But, where? The Bryce Jordan Center, slam-packed with 275 wild PSAC fans, would look worse than the Angelo Dome at a Cal home game. Same issue at Hershey. But, both have ample hotels, restaurants, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Mixed feelings on the neutral site.

On one hand, it eliminates the home-court advantage that neither team should have in a conference final.

It also eliminates, for example, a 30-1 IUP going on the road due to the automatic year-to-year East/West rotation.

The negative (solely my opinion):

Tournament Week in the PSAC was pretty special. It was unique to have so many teams get to host a 'playoff' game. Remember, the Regional usually falls on Spring Break.

Will anybody actually attend the finals at a neutral site? Sure, the die-hards will travel. But, there's only so many of them.

To me, if you go neutral, the whole tournament goes neutral (not just the final). Follow the MEC format, for example.

The logical location, perhaps, could be State College. But, where? The Bryce Jordan Center, slam-packed with 275 wild PSAC fans, would look worse than the Angelo Dome at a Cal home game. Same issue at Hershey. But, both have ample hotels, restaurants, etc.

I think they need to find something like a large high school gym. Scheduling would probably be the biggest difficulty. They should try to promote it as a special event wherever they decide to play. As has often been remarked on this board, the PSAC is terrible at promotion. We get almost zero media coverage. I don't think most people have any idea how good D2 ball is. You're right in that we couldn't have it in a huge arena. It would look ridiculous if they drew a small crowd. I'd probably go more often if it were in a central location.

Comment

Some things I also found interesting from them
          1. No representative from Gannon for mens... Fee was still HC so obviously he knew he was on his way out. Then I think why wouldn't they then have Bazzoli do it... but wondering if GU knew Fee was resigning and not sure if Bazzoli would be around past this year either.
          2. Women adding 3 awards for post season.. new Comer of the year, 6th man and most improved. Nothing on mens side.
          3. Womens listed that officiating was 88% accurate. Mens did not list accuracy haha
          4. For neutral tournament, example is Hershey. Makes you wonder if thats not their target already.

Comment

Originally posted by bballfan03 View Post

Some things I also found interesting from them
            1. No representative from Gannon for mens... Fee was still HC so obviously he knew he was on his way out. Then I think why wouldn't they then have Bazzoli do it... but wondering if GU knew Fee was resigning and not sure if Bazzoli would be around past this year either.
            Wasn't Gannon still competing in the Elite Eight on the day of these meetings? Unless something changed, if a PSAC team is in the national tournament while the PSAC has their annual sport coaches meeting, they usually don't attend the coaches meeting (either that or my memory is faulty).
            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Wasn't Gannon still competing in the Elite Eight on the day of these meetings? Unless something changed, if a PSAC team is in the national tournament while the PSAC has their annual sport coaches meeting, they usually don't attend the coaches meeting (either that or my memory is faulty).
              Correct, I retract that. I didn't realize the date.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I think they need to find something like a large high school gym. Scheduling would probably be the biggest difficulty. They should try to promote it as a special event wherever they decide to play. As has often been remarked on this board, the PSAC is terrible at promotion. We get almost zero media coverage. I don't think most people have any idea how good D2 ball is. You're right in that we couldn't have it in a huge arena. It would look ridiculous if they drew a small crowd. I'd probably go more often if it were in a central location.
                Considering the majority of PASSHE grads who've stayed in state are likely working in the Philly and Pittsburgh areas, it would seem like a better idea to take a facility in each of those areas, alternating East and West. Nova's Finneran Pavilion which seats 6500 and Duquesne's UPMC Cooper FH which holds 3500 would seem like possibilities. Not saying I prefer it but if they must do a tournament at least make the games accessible to the maximum number of people. Driving to State College or Hershey in March isn't convenient in anyone's book.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Considering the majority of PASSHE grads who've stayed in state are likely working in the Philly and Pittsburgh areas, it would seem like a better idea to take a facility in each of those areas, alternating East and West. Nova's Finneran Pavilion which seats 6500 and Duquesne's UPMC Cooper FH which holds 3500 would seem like possibilities. Not saying I prefer it but if they must do a tournament at least make the games accessible to the maximum number of people. Driving to State College or Hershey in March isn't convenient in anyone's book.
                  I don't feel the PSAC will take convenience into play for anyone lol seems they just do what they feel is best

Comment

Originally posted by bballfan03 View Post

I don't feel the PSAC will take convenience into play for anyone lol seems they just do what they feel is best
                    I was only talking convenience in regard to putting fannies in seats. You could give away seats, pop corn and a Coke and no one other than extreme diehards ( IUP) fans are driving up to Centre County, and back home for D2 basketball. On the other hand, driving a hop, skip and a jump to the Main Line in Philly or The Bluff in Pittsburgh to see one or more competitive college games could be sports entertainment $$$ well spent. Not likely to happen but the better idea.

Comment

I was only talking convenience in regard to putting fannies in seats. You could give away seats, pop corn and a Coke and no one other than extreme diehards ( IUP) fans are driving up to Centre County, and back home for D2 basketball. On the other hand, driving a hop, skip and a jump to the Main Line in Philly or The Bluff in Pittsburgh to see one or more competitive college games could be sports entertainment $$$ well spent. Not likely to happen but the better idea.
                      That's just it. If it was in State College it wouldn't draw a soul locally aside from perhaps a couple old, bored dudes. D2 sports in a town like Happy Valley might as well be high school JV. It's thought of about the same.

The games just don't draw well even at
                      ​​​​90 percent of our campuses, let alone at a neutral site.

Going to one of those big arena's and having 6 percent capacity would just be a terrible look.

PSAC marketing is, well, it doesn't exist.

Comment

That's just it. If it was in State College it wouldn't draw a soul locally aside from perhaps a couple old, bored dudes. D2 sports in a town like Happy Valley might as well be high school JV. It's thought of about the same.

Going to one of those big arena's and having 6 percent capacity would just be a terrible look.

They should keep it the same!

Comment

My exact thoughts. Another idea somewhat in between is naming a host site within the conference that alternates east/west similar to what they do with most other sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

My exact thoughts. Another idea somewhat in between is naming a host site within the conference that alternates east/west similar to what they do with most other sports.
                            Yep but contracts would be difficult. They have done final rounds set at various universities into the future (SRU hosting baseball mult years, out east for swimming and dividing for years and years). I'd guess that they'd just pick something to get multi year contract. They've also had neutral site on the these meeting agendas, and new awards, listed before and never happened.

Oh, Fee wasn't planned out til Friday / weekend. Bud got that job two days after FAU loss. Much more behind the scenes but let's leave it that my known feelings around the AD are 💯 accurate. Scum.

Comment

You have a point, but there is so much going on in a big city that I think the PSAC tourney would definitely get lost in the shuffle. I follow Northwestern and they're an afterthought in Chicago even though they play in the Big Ten. I think it would be a bigger deal in a smaller venue. In my small town we used to hold an annual amateur open basketball tournament that usually filled most of our fairly large high school gym. Players came up from D.C., Baltimore, etc. Some had major college experience. A bunch of players from the Ship U. team came down and played together as a team. They got their butts whipped. (I will say the caliber of PSAC ball has improved considerably since then). Until there is more awareness of our basketball product, I doubt there will be a lot of attendance wherever we go.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X