Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The NEW Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

Originally posted by digz View Post
    If live stats were correct, WSC had five players foul out and two more with 4.
    [runs in out of breath] Am I only a week late to this? The new points of emphasis for referees are big changes for the game. Dan Jansen would have been in foul trouble every game with the new screening rules and there will be a lot more contact on shots around the rim since the referees looking more at verticality than contact. Some games had a ton of fouls, like that USF-Emporia game had 60+ and I've seen quite a few more with high 40s and 50s in total fouls.

Comment

Each new season the NCAA sends out its rules info and point of emphasis for the year. Each year starts out with a ton of fouls being called with pissed off coaches, players and fans. By January the calls start to become less and by March we are back on to hand to hand combat the way it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest69 View Post
        [runs in out of breath] Am I only a week late to this? The new points of emphasis for referees are big changes for the game. Dan Jansen would have been in foul trouble every game with the new screening rules and there will be a lot more contact on shots around the rim since the referees looking more at verticality than contact. Some games had a ton of fouls, like that USF-Emporia game had 60+ and I've seen quite a few more with high 40s and 50s in total fouls.
        I'm all for more whistles to get the game cleaned up.

Comment

As noted by wscsuperfan in the other thread, congrats to Jordan Spencer on being named NSIC South Division Player of the Week:

South Division Player of the Week
          G - Jordan Spencer, Augustana (JR)
          - Averaged 17.0 points, 9.5 assists and 5.0 rebounds leading Augustana to a pair of wins last week
          - Shot 43.5 percent from the field and hit five 3-pointers while going 9-of-11 from the free throw line
          - Nearly posted back-to-back double-doubles after finishing with 23 points, nine assists and four rebounds against Wayne State last Monday
          - Followed with an 11-point, 10-assist, six rebound performance against Peru State
          - Picked up his third career double-double against Peru State
          - Has dished out 10 or more assists in a game 10 times in his career
          - Has now handed out five or more assists in 58 of 74 career games played at Augustana
          Is this his first PotW honor? Either way, hoping to see even more of them in the future. Keep up the good work, Jordan!

Comment

Good games for several Vikes last night.

-Jordan Spencer gets his second straight points/assists double double with 14 and 12. That is really solid.

-Adam Beyer scores 21 second half points to finish with a career high 24.

-Steven Schaefer comes off the bench to score 17, including 10 or 11 in the first half that were hugely important.

-Busack had 18 points and 9 boards. That is helpful. Really hoping he plays his game tonight and doesn't try to do too much against his former squad.

-John Warren chipped in a quiet 11.

-Lucas Walford continued his 1 dunk per game rate after a solid dish from Spencer.

All in all, a solid, kind of must-win victory last night in the sense that Mankato should prove to be a lot tougher and we couldn't afford to go 0-2 on a home weekend. Glad the Vikes took over in the second half. Hope we can come out the same way tonight against the Mavs.

Comment

Oh, and it was Coach Billeter's 350th career win. Congrats to Texas Tom and his staff for their success over the years.

Comment

Very impressive game, especially the 2nd half. 28pts off of turnovers and 21 fast break pts. Andy Kerkman played 6 minutes is he still on the mend?

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                  Very impressive game, especially the 2nd half. 28pts off of turnovers and 21 fast break pts. Andy Kerkman played 6 minutes is he still on the mend?
                  Pretty sure he wasn't able to even go full-contact in practice until a few weeks ago. Seeing as he got injured in June or July, it has been a pretty long time since being in a live game situation. I would imagine he is still just working back into things. But that's just a guess.

Comment

Concordia has a couple really nice, young pieces in Bryndan Matthews, Ted Brown, and Sioux Falls' own Sam Siganos. Matthews showed a lot of potential last year and he appears to be building on it this season. Brown has all the physical attributes necessary to one day dominate the league but he needs to add a few more post moves to his repetoire and a jump shot. Siganos really understands how to open the court for his teammates and was one of the main reasons Concordia kept it close in the first half.

Now that I've given the multitude of Bears fans a reason to live, it's time to put them back in hibernation. Joey James is truly atrocious, there's little to no movement in their offensive schemes so the only time his squad looked truly dangerous was when they got out in transition. On top of this is his unbelievably whiney sideline demeanor. Every coach, especially Billeter, "works" officials but James' constant complaining give off the vibe of someone who has accomplished a lot more than several middling seasons in St Paul following USD regurgitating him back up 5 months after Dave Boots crammed him down their throats. The best example of this was his tech at the hands of Jacob Welch which came immediately after his team got away with a fairly obvious foul.

Moving along to the Busack Bowl, the Vikings could not be more prepared. A seemingly simple recipe of surrounding Spencer with the space created by 3 or 4 capable shooters produced an offensive explosion last night. Lots of quick ball movement kept the defensive swinging until it broke. If the defense is able to goad the Mavericks into jump shots by protecting the paint I think Augie has the offensive juice to win their 33rd straight NSIC game in Sioux Falls.

Comment

Really good win for the Vikes tonight. Can't believe Augieholic has been so apprehensive about this Augie squad so far this season.

In all seriousness, it was good to see Huisken put together such a solid game. Would love to see more of that moving forward for sure.

Great weekend for Beyer and Spencer. Busack didn't try to do too much, which showed some maturity on his part.

No dunk for Lucas Walford tonight. Oh well. Maybe he'll have a couple in a game next weekend.

Solid work, Vikes.

Comment

Interesting challenge this weekend. Heard the weather/roads are still pretty rough up north, which should make the Minot/Mary trip fun for the team, as I'm sure it always is.

Minot has played well against decent competition with a few wins and a 4-point loss to Northern in Aberdeen and a 9-point loss to Moorhead in Moorhead last weekend. Tyler Rudolph seems to be playing exceptionally well, putting up 22 points per game and grabbing almost 9 rebounds per game and shooting 43% from the 3-point line. Definitely 1st Team All-NSIC numbers if he can keep it up all season long. They seem to have a few other decent scorers, but Rudolph seems to make things go for the Beavers.

Hopefully Busack and/or Huisken are prepared to put in work defensively tomorrow night. I think if we can contain Rudolph a little bit (mid-teens or below), we'll have a good chance to win by double digits, as some of our perimeter guys (Warren, Beyer, etc.) seem to be playing well on the defensive end.

Mary is still tough to figure out, as they have also had some close games and they have two solid scorers in Bryan Jefferson and Damonta Henry.

My biggest concern is whether or not the Vikes will be mentally ready to take care of business. If they're flying a little too close to the sun after taking down the Mavericks, they could be in for a rude awakening up north. If they handle things with the mentality of last year's team, I feel good about things. I suppose Mary taking down Northern at home Saturday night might wake them up to the fact that neither Minot nor Mary should be overlooked.

Either way, I'm looking forward to the games this weekend, even if I (and every other sane person from this area) happen to be watching from a distance.

Go Vikes. Let's snag two more wins on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                          Interesting challenge this weekend. Heard the weather/roads are still pretty rough up north, which should make the Minot/Mary trip fun for the team, as I'm sure it always is.
                          20 miles north of Minot

http://abcnews.go.com/US/winter-stor...ry?id=44033477

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                            20 miles north of Minot
                            I think it was back in 1997 when some older lady's house near Marshall was buried. Neighbors came to dig her out. Lucky the chimney wasn't covered.

Comment

Something I did not expect to see in the win/loss column this year:

Minot State - L - 88-84.

Hope the Vikes come out with a little more intensity this evening. Going 0-2 on this trip would be very disappointing.

Comment

Just saw this on Twitter and thought it was cool. I'm sure Doane College a few days before Thanksgiving wouldn't exactly have been a sell-out anyway, so going with free admission is a pretty fun way to bring in whatever fans are still around:

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X