X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrAugustana
    replied
    A couple of fun tweets from last night's win:

And Coach Billeter about as hyped as I've ever seen him not yelling at an official:

Leave a comment:

• Inkblot
    replied
    Originally posted by WPHB View Post
    Being that I am new to D2 Sports, how is the regional ranking set? Is it akin to football where you are ranked based upon your wins, opp wins, and opp opp wins? Also, is it something that is just a measure of that week or does it have more value for projecting forward? Sorry if that is clear as mud, I am still learning about the D2 Football rankings as well.
    There are several factors that influence the rankings. The handbook lists these criteria:
    ? In-region winning percentage
    ? Division II winning percentage
    ? Division II strength of schedule
    ? Division II head-to-head competition
    ? Results versus Division II common opponents
    ? Rating percentage index (RPI)
    ? Performance indicator
    ? Record vs. ranked teams

Now, these aren't all weighted equally. I'll go over the ones that seem to be most important.

Strength of schedule: This is 66.67% your opponents' win percentage (excluding games against you) and 33.33% your opponents' opponents' win percentage (excluding games against the opponent in question).

In-region RPI: This is (a) 50% your in-region winning percentage, (b) 25% your in-region opponents' in-region winning percentage, and (c) 25% their in-region opponents' in-region winning percentage. Note that "in-region" is broader than just being assigned to the same region; for example, it includes games against anyone in a bordering state. (The exclusions in components b and c are the same as in the strength of schedule calculation.)

Performance indicator: Every game you've played is given a value from 0 to 47, and the values are averaged. The maximum value of 47 for a game would be achieved by winning (24 pts) on the road (2 pts) against a team with a winning percentage of at least .875 (21 pts). Unlike in SOS and RPI, games against you are included in the winning percentage component.

I've found that if you multiply the RPI by 0.55, the SOS by 0.1, and the PI by 0.35 (after first dividing it by 47 to get it onto a scale of 0 to 1) and then add them together, it tracks pretty well with the regional rankings. But some of the non-numeric criteria are important too. A head-to-head win sometimes overcomes a numerical deficit, as does a better record against the rest of the top 10.

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied
    Congrats to Tyler. He's done much better in the classroom than I ever did, and I never had to focus on being an all-conference basketball player (or any type of athlete at all) while doing it:

Leave a comment:

• WPHB
    replied
    Being that I am new to D2 Sports, how is the regional ranking set? Is it akin to football where you are ranked based upon your wins, opp wins, and opp opp wins? Also, is it something that is just a measure of that week or does it have more value for projecting forward? Sorry if that is clear as mud, I am still learning about the D2 Football rankings as well.

Leave a comment:

• WPHB
    replied
    Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
    NCAA- give the people what they want and post the Regional Rankings already, we've waited long enough!
    Ask and you shall receive!

Leave a comment:

• Augieholic
    replied
    NCAA- give the people what they want and post the Regional Rankings already, we've waited long enough!

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied
    Cool Midco story featuring Isaac Fink:

Great work, as always, David Brown and Midco.

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied
    Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Vikings hit #5 in the NABC Top 25, #8 in the CoSIDA Top 25.

If you need me, I'll be in full Apostle of Apprehension mode pretty much throughout the rest of the season.
    EZ to see why you're in A.O.A mode the path is so clear for the Vikes to host the regional, maybe to clear.

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied
    Vikings hit #5 in the NABC Top 25, #8 in the CoSIDA Top 25.

If you need me, I'll be in full Apostle of Apprehension mode pretty much throughout the rest of the season.

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied
    Also congrats to Tyler Riemersma on being named to the Top 50 of the Bevo Francis Award List: ?https://goaugie.com/news/2022/2/15/m...-the-year.aspx

Other Central Region athletes I saw on the list included Tray Buchanan of Emporia, Trevor Hudgins of NWMSU, Isaiah Wade of UCO, and Ryan Hawkins of Creighton.

Just kidding about Hawkins. Not sure if I missed any others. Congrats to Tyler on this great recognition. Should be interesting to see if he makes the cut down to 25.??????

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied
    Congrats incoming Viking Jackson Loge on being named a top 10 finalist for the Minnesota Mr. Basketball award. Only D2 kid on the list.

??????

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Jeff has been the voice of the Vikings since the late 80's after graduating he is a great guy. Thank hin yoursel

Jeff Fylling (@JeffFylling) / Twitter

Thanks for the info. I did follow him and got a very nice reply back. He said that there were technical difficulties on the MSU end and when asked to do the feed was happy to help!

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied
    For the 5th time this season Tyler Riemersma has been named south div. POW. totaling 43pts, 26rb's. I think it's safe to say he is the best player in the NSIC.

2021-22 NSIC Men's Basketball Weekly Release No. 13 - Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied
    Originally posted by laker View Post
    Would some Augie fan please thank their radio guy for doing the games online Saturday. Evidently there was some problems on the MSU end- there was picture only on Friday and to start the women's game Saturday. At first it sounded like he was locked in a closet but luckily they got that fixed because the crowd (??? I don't know if I can call it that) was drowning out the audio. Anyway I appreciated the play by play rather than having the silent screen.
    Jeff has been the voice of the Vikings since the late 80's after graduating he is a great guy. Thank hin yoursel

Jeff Fylling (@JeffFylling) / Twitter

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Would some Augie fan please thank their radio guy for doing the games online Saturday. Evidently there was some problems on the MSU end- there was picture only on Friday and to start the women's game Saturday. At first it sounded like he was locked in a closet but luckily they got that fixed because the crowd (??? I don't know if I can call it that) was drowning out the audio. Anyway I appreciated the play by play rather than having the silent screen.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X