Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Regional Matchups and Predictions

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
    You mean they were physical and weren't trying to injure him??????? :)

I remember the same game. Hill was 5'6" so he gave up a ton of size, even to MacIntosh! And Clark was never one to be called physical at all.
    I remember talking to an Augie fan during the game. He was keeping track of Apple's points. We agreed that which ever team won, it was a heck of a game.

Comment

With all seating being general admission, what's the percentage of chairbacks vs bleachers at Bearcat Arena? Are there chairbacks behind the visitors' bench?

I've been there, maybe 10-12 years ago - can't remember much about it and I'm assuming some changes have been made.

Comment

Chairbacks Center east and railbacks behind benches on east side

Comment

Originally posted by MisterWizard View Post
          With all seating being general admission, what's the percentage of chairbacks vs bleachers at Bearcat Arena? Are there chairbacks behind the visitors' bench?

I've been there, maybe 10-12 years ago - can't remember much about it and I'm assuming some changes have been made.
          https://www.youvisit.com/tour/panora...souri?id=7373&

On the right click on Bearcat Arena
          Go Hounds!
          B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
          Cyclone Power
          ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Thanks, see ya there. If you want to look me up I'll be wearing green.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterWizard View Post
              Thanks, see ya there. If you want to look me up I'll be wearing green.
              I was amazed at how easily you found me at the regional in Mankato. Was it the gold Lakers cap that gave me away, or the incredibly stupid look on my face? :)

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                I was amazed at how easily you found me at the regional in Mankato. Was it the gold Lakers cap that gave me away, or the incredibly stupid look on my face? :)
                Had to have been the cap!

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
                  And as I said very clearly last year, not dirty, and not to injure. Do the conference teams have the players to do it? It seems there are many smallish/quick guards in the MIAA (not sure about big men) and they typically don't play physical defense. Apparently one team tried it and it was at least somewhat successful for UNK as they won the game.
                  I won't go down the same path as last year but it was successful because he was injured due to it. Other teams have been physical with him and he wasn't injured and NW wins. I agree there is a fine line between physical and dirty. I thought UIU last year was dirty. Two-handed shove of Pitts into the goal standard and another instance where they stepped on him while he was on the ground.

Bumping, holding, etc. if you can get away with it is fine. Hard fouls to prevent layups is fine. But the UNK game specifically wasn't about playing him physical, the impact was him being injured because of it. And you could say that for any player in any sport.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
                    I won't go down the same path as last year but it was successful because he was injured due to it. Other teams have been physical with him and he wasn't injured and NW wins. I agree there is a fine line between physical and dirty. I thought UIU last year was dirty. Two-handed shove of Pitts into the goal standard and another instance where they stepped on him while he was on the ground.

Bumping, holding, etc. if you can get away with it is fine. Hard fouls to prevent layups is fine. But the UNK game specifically wasn't about playing him physical, the impact was him being injured because of it. And you could say that for any player in any sport.
                    More reasons why SMSU will probably beat the Bearcats...

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                      More reasons why SMSU will probably beat the Bearcats...
                      NW has to get to the 2nd round for that to happen.

Comment

Comment

I think the way McCollum explained it last year is the GAC is usually super athletic and offensive orientated. The NSIC plays a smart brand of basketball and tends to be more physical. The MIAA is a mixture of the two. I'm pretty sure that is what he said last year.

Comment

Not sure about the rest of the MIAA, but finesse is not a term that comes to mind regarding NW. WU and MOSO certainly aren't afraid to mix it up.
                            Go Hounds!
                            B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                            Cyclone Power
                            ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

To chime in, it varies from team to team but I certainly saw a physical game between MSSU and Fort Hays last Friday. Generally I think the MIAA bangs around pretty good, so I don't think we're going to see a big discrepancy of any sort among these eight elite teams that each advanced from their respective conferences.

I'm envisioning some good games coming up Thursday with some high level play (and coaching).

Comment

Finesse might not be the best way to put it on the MIAA/GAC side, but I think many of our conference struggles past the regional have been partly due to reffing/physicality differences. Looking through the archives, John Smith had two early fouls in the Barton game as one big example. Both SMSU bigs got into early foul trouble in 2009. Both Schneck and Witt had 2 first half fouls in 2010, with Witt's starting a 9-point swing over the last 8 minutes of the first half (they did still win that one). Hodges and Hill both fouled out for MSU against Bellarmine in 2011. Cameron and Johnson both had two fouls in first 6 minutes and Vette picked up four fouls in three minutes in 2013.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X