Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Regional Matchups and Predictions

Originally posted by Randy View Post
    Did nobody see where I said to seed the Elite 8 based on the top seeds of each region before the tournament starts? If you do that the top 2 teams won't play each other in the quarterfinals.
    Sorry, I did miss it. I would be fine with that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
      Looks like the Winona South crew will be joining us in the Middle of Nowhere as well. Lincoln Memorial losing is huge, they wouldve been the #1 seed had they won tonight.
      Not sure which I would enjoy more, seeing them get knocked out in round 1 or making the 'chip and losing to Northern. Either way, I'm REALLY hoping that they get beat.

Comment

The D1 tourney seeds every team and does its best to put the top 1 seed with the worst 2 seed and so on. If you do that from the start theres no need to re-seed in my mind.
        So have Alaska Anchorage fly down to Florida for its regional tournament because that's how the seedings fall?

Comment

Wild guess on Elite 8 seeding:
          #1 Ferris State vs #8 Barry
          #4 Northern vs #5 LeMoyne
          #3 West Texas vs #6 Cal Baptist
          #2 Queens vs #7 East Stroudsberg
          Seeds are out

#1 Ferris St vs #8 Barry
          #4 West Texas vs #5 LeMoyne
          #3 Northern vs #6 East Stroudsburg
          #2 Queens vs #7 Cal Baptist

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
            So have Alaska Anchorage fly down to Florida for its regional tournament because that's how the seedings fall?
            Thats why its not feasible in D2 so the Regional format in the first three rounds makes sense to me

Comment

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
              Not sure which I would enjoy more, seeing them get knocked out in round 1 or making the 'chip and losing to Northern. Either way, I'm REALLY hoping that they get beat.
              Right! Cause with them gone it has allowed everyone else in the conference to participate now in making more regionals. ;)

Last 12 years

6 regional championship games
              5 regional championships
              3 national championship games
              2 national championship

Not bad for a side crew that just latched on to Leaf and rode his coat tails. Maybe it was the other way around?

Lol

Just get your seat behind the hoop and enjoy the show!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ddwitte View Post
                I guess I was attempting to say that in the D1 tournament since there is flexibility to what regions teams are put in. The pre-tournament seeding is more true. I didn't like the old system because it was just a rotation of which region played which. If they ranked the 8 1 seeds prior to the tournament and structured it such that, absent upsets, the best teams would meet in the final then so be it. The randomness is what bothered me about the old system. I get and appreciate the D1 concept of playing your way out of a bad seed, but in theold systems there was no seeding done outside of regions at any point.

Comment

We have the 8:30 game.

https://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bra...ketball-men/d2

Comment

Originally posted by NSUguy View Post
                    A private message received simply because you don't support Augie or other conference members in certain times is incredibly silly. I would cheer for a small handful of teams in our conference to be successful otherwise I don't want them to win. Some fan bases are relentless on their high horses in times of success and my blood pressure stays level if they don't win. That is a win for me. I just said "win" too many times.

Go Wolves!
                    The idea of wanting your conference to represent well seems like a D-I concept. If the conference members do well, the conference is more well respected and maybe more teams get in in the future. I did like seeing the four NSIC teams win for that reason and because we had already beaten all of them. That does not mean that I don't like to see certain teams in the conference lose. To me that's what a rivalry is. It doesn't end when the game is over you might respect the hell out of the other team, but that still doesn't mean you want to see them win. That Winona vs. Barton game is a favorite of mine, because at the time we had such a strong rivalry. Things change though and because of what happened there I find myself rooting for them now.

Comment

The idea of wanting your conference to represent well seems like a D-I concept. If the conference members do well, the conference is more well respected and maybe more teams get in in the future. I did like seeing the four NSIC teams win for that reason and because we had already beaten all of them. That does not mean that I don't like to see certain teams in the conference lose. To me that's what a rivalry is. It doesn't end when the game is over you might respect the hell out of the other team, but that still doesn't mean you want to see them win. That Winona vs. Barton game is a favorite of mine, because at the time we had such a strong rivalry. Things change though and because of what happened there I find myself rooting for them now.
                      Preach

Comment

I'm not sure why this is difficult for some to comprehend. The marginal boost my team may get by playing in the same conference as the national champion, for example, is utterly outweighed by the huge boost that other team gets for winning a national championship. Why would I want that?

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
                          I'm not sure why this is difficult for some to comprehend. The marginal boost my team may get by playing in the same conference as the national champion, for example, is utterly outweighed by the huge boost that other team gets for winning a national championship. Why would I want that?
                          Preach.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                            Preach.
                            I knew you always wanted to be me, ha

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
                              I'm sure some people figure that the NSIC getting four teams into Round 2 is helpful for the conference. I'm guessing the thought process is that, if an NSIC team is on the bubble next year, the committee might say, "Well, look at how things turned out last year. They are clearly more deserving than this team from the GAC or even this team from the MIAA because their conference is tougher and produces better teams as a whole."

On the flip side, it does seem like things are often dictated more by numbers than personal opinion in the end, so who knows if next year they won't just simply say, "The numbers show that we need to go with 3 from the NSIC, 3 from the MIAA, and 2 from the GAC," regardless of how the NSIC fared the previous year? I honestly don't know if it really matters that much.

Even with that argument in mind, if I'm a recruit, what is more appealing? For a coach to say, "Oh yeah, we won the National Championship last year," or for a coach to say, "Oh yeah, we play against teams in our conference that have won national championships recently." To me the answer seems painfully obvious, as GrifFan alluded to in his comment.

Selfishly, I very much want Northern to lose in the first round. It doesn't matter to me if they lose by 1 or lose by 30, but I want Augie to be the most recent National Champion in our conference. In fact, I don't want anyone from our conference to win one until Augie wins one again. And I don't think that qualifies me as being mean or being selfish or whatever. I think that means I am a fan of the team I support, and not a fan of the teams I don't support. It's not like in pro football you want your division rival to win the Super Bowl because it makes your division look better. You're ticked if your team didn't win and you're ticked if your rival wins. It's common sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                                So this is the reason we are avoiding a more balanced tournament bracket and forcing some teams to have to beat a conference opponent for the third or fourth time in a season to make it to the title game?

I'm not buying it. For one, if Anchorage made the tourney, I'm confident you could avoid sending them to Florida (by the way, for the most part a trip from Anchorage to about anywhere in the US is similar in pricing and effort, give or take a little).

Set up a bracket that is fair and balanced. You can still hold the first 3 rounds at the same single venue, meaning 56 of the 64 teams have only one trip to make before they get eliminated. Heck, you could even make that first Friday/Saturday/Sunday three rounds a 3-game tourney where all teams are guaranteed to play all 3 days to make the trip worth it, extra revenue from tickets sales and hotel rooms, etc., but only the 3-0 team advances to the Elite Eight. As a fan, I'd be more tempted to go if I knew for sure my team was playing all 3 days.

(Don't tell me teams can't afford the travel - most of these teams take a nice trip every season)

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X