Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solid but not outstanding performance by the MOSO ladies today. Got out to a huge first quarter lead, and then seemed like they were bored after that. Emporia was short-handed with Tre'zure Jobe out due to Covid, and another starting guard out due to injury. Their remaining players fought hard. It was good to see so many players step up for MOSO today with Lacy seeming to take a backseat and taking only 4 shots. It was so good to see Kaitlin break out and hitting several 3's. Hope to see this continue for Kaitlin.

The MOSO men were in a real battle today falling short in OT. In the end too many tumanyers today, a few key mistakes, and 2 missed 1-and-1 opportunities was too much to overcome. Owen Long had ice in his veins for Emporia making a very long 3 late in regulation to tie it and then staring down his twin brother on the MOSO bench afterwards. We had a nice look to win it in the last few seconds of regulation but it wouldn't fall. Seeing Owen Long today gives us a preview of the potential that Parker has when he is fully healthy.

Comment

It appeared to me we had a stronger team than Emporia, but they made the plays down the stretch and we didn’t. The Hornets deserved the W, but I wouldn’t be afraid to meet them again in Kansas City in March.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterWizard View Post
        It appeared to me we had a stronger team than Emporia, but they made the plays down the stretch and we didn’t. The Hornets deserved the W, but I wouldn’t be afraid to meet them again in Kansas City in March.
        What do you mean by "stronger team"?

Comment

Originally posted by Hornetfan View Post

What do you mean by "stronger team"?
          Better team. We jumped out to a 22-7 lead I believe. We shot the ball better from the field and 3-point range. We’d have been better from the line (and won the game) if our guards hadn’t missed the front end of 1-and-1’s twice near the end of regulation. We outrebounded ESU. And one of our key players had one of his worst games of the year.

Also, our Long was on the bench injured while his twin brother had a great game, willing the Hornets to the win.

In summary, it’s my opinion we are the better team, but the team with the most points always wins.

Comment

Better team. We jumped out to a 22-7 lead I believe. We shot the ball better from the field and 3-point range. We’d have been better from the line (and won the game) if our guards hadn’t missed the front end of 1-and-1’s twice near the end of regulation. We outrebounded ESU. And one of our key players had one of his worst games of the year.

Also, our Long was on the bench injured while his twin brother had a great game, willing the Hornets to the win.

In summary, it’s my opinion we are the better team, but the team with the most points always wins.
            If it's and buts were candy and nuts.............................:)

Comment

Originally posted by Thepeman View Post

If it's and buts were candy and nuts.............................:)
              We’d all have a merry Christmas!

(and I did)

Comment

I guess if that's what you think you are entitled to your opinion. I don't agree with it considering ESU erased the 22-7 deficit thanks in large part to a 20-8 advantage in second chance points (that negates the outrebounded part if you are not scoring) and a 24-9 advantage in points off turnovers. We actually shot the same percentage from 3-pt line.
                You make it sound like a fluke that the Hornets won and if ESU was 8-8 and rose up to take out the favored Lions I could maybe agree, but with ESU coming in 13-3, just outside the Top 25 and with a win already over NWMSU I think it was just two really good teams going at each other and in this case ESU finished the game with more points and is therefore the "better team." At least on Saturday.

Comment

Sports can be a fickle thing. If our 80% free throw shooter hits the front end of a 1-and-1 near the end, my opinion would hold more water because we win. Instead, he misses it and Emporia hits a big 3 to tie the game and send it to OT.

OT games in any sport mean, obviously, that either team came super close to winning (or losing). And, IMO, just because one team made the most important play and got the W, it makes it very subjective of who might be “the stronger (better) team”. As you say, I’m entitled to my opinion. And based on what I witnessed in that game, I shared my opinion and stand by it. And respect yours or anyone else’s.

Probably more than anything, I’m disappointed in my own team because I believe we let one get away that should’ve been a W for us.

Comment

The MSSU ladies got back on track last night after struggling the first 3 weeks of 2023. Our wins had been ugly wins where we did not play well and would suffer 5-minute scoring droughts. Last night the ladies looked impressive in their 84-45 win over Lincoln with our reserves playing the fourth quarter. As they said in post-game interviews, they never let up last night and kept playing hard. Hope they are learning and growing again and will gain more confidence in the next 3 games before a very tough four game stretch beginning Feb 4 against the teams we suffered all of our losses against.

Comment

The MSSU men are in a little funk right now, losing 3 of their last 4 games. Last Saturday, they played their worst half of the year in losing to Rogers State. They played a bad first half last night falling 10 points behind Lincoln at the half, and it could have been much worse. They made a valiant effort to make it a game in the second half, but could not complete the comeback. During this four game stretch, the team has not shown enough toughness. During the post-game interview, Coach McMahon talked about the team being soft and needing to get tougher. When Rogers State stepped up their defensive effort and got more physical, we wilted. Both Emporia and Lincoln dominated the boards against us, especially the offensive boards, and that was the difference in both games. Lincoln got 16 offensive rebounds vs our 12 defensive rebounds. Hope this team finds the fight and toughness within themselves to turn this trend around. It was good to see Parker Long back on the floor last night! Excited to see what he can bring to the team the rest of the year.

Comment

I would just add that we did actually comeback in the second half, actually building a five point lead fairly late. But as you say, we wilted and let that slip away. Missed a 3 with a few seconds left that would’ve re-tied the game.

We are now starting to show that we are not that “stronger” team I bragged about a couple of weeks ago. Sure looks like Emporia is better than us, and we are barely right there with Lincoln and Rogers.

Comment

We are now starting to show that we are not that “stronger” team I bragged about a couple of weeks ago. Sure looks like Emporia is better than us, and we are barely right there with Lincoln and Rogers.
                          It will be interesting to see how we respond the next few games. We should be able to right the ship tomorrow night vs. Newman. Then the next three will be very interesting vs. UCO and at Lincoln and UCM. We'll see if we can respond and play tougher again.

Comment

Strange ending today as we handed UCO their second loss of the season. Lions who were only 12 of 22 from the charity stripe led 64-58 when a UCO 3-point attempt with 35 seconds to play when out of bounds off the Bronchos.

Two possession game, 30 seconds to play, Lions inbound it and quickly race up court to beat a lackluster UCO defense and a pass to Bundy allowed him a breakaway dunk with 25 seconds left, putting the Lions up by 8 and sealing the win.

UCO Coach Hoffman flipped out and tried to cross midcourt yelling at the Southern coaching staff and acting like it was classless, that he had called off his dogs not to foul.

First of all, a two possession game with 30 seconds to play. I don’t believe UCO was conceding, but if they were that seems pretty stupid to me. But even if they were conceding, it wasn’t obvious to a Southern team that wanted to make sure they got the easy nail in the coffin easy dunk instead of going to the line with lots of pressure on them.

I’m only guessing that Hoffman is a pretty good winner, but he certainly doesn’t come across too well when calls aren’t going his way or his team loses.

Comment

Another good outing by our ladies today. Playing some very good ball right now. After playing Lincoln next Thursday, we play a very tough four game stretch where we will find out how well we really are playing. Will play UCM and Pitt on the road then return home to play Kearney and Hays. This same stretch created a four-game conference losing streak earlier this year. Hope we fare much better this time around. This stretch will let us see how much we have improved and if there is any potential for a postseason run.

Comment

Very exciting men's game vs UCO today. First half was full of intense defense and very poor shooting by the Lions. 2 for 10 from the free throw line tells you all you need to now. The score was stuck at 24-14 for what seemed like forever. A late run by the Lions cut the lead down to 6 and set up an exciting second half. Our guys shot the ball much better and continued to play tough defense and showed a lot of toughness. We exhibited the heart and toughness all game that Sam has been asking for. Christian Bundy played incredibly tough and every player who got in the game gave a lot of effort and played with toughness. Vinson Sigmon played incredible defense on Jaden Wells holding him to 3 points. Our guys pulled out a very tough 7 point win over the #4 ranked team in the country. There was a lot of fireworks in the last 30 seconds of the game with some heated exchanges afterward. If we play UCO in the MIAA tourney, I expect a very intense game that will be tightly called by the officials to keep emotions from boiling over. Great game by the Lions!!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X