X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSU4LIFE
    replied
    Originally posted by Thunder View Post
    This conversation brings to mind a favorite NSU story of mine from before my time at NSU. Northern had to go to Brookings to play SDSU in the regional final and Ryan Miller dropped 45 on the bunnies. He ended the game with a big three and a throat slash to the crowd. Most Wolves fans that were at the game loved it, obviously it would be frowned upon today.
    Isn't it crazy that there used to be a time that, despite being disliked (I'm not a guy that would do any of these things, nor would I love my kids doing it)these things weren't threatening or taken with a deeper meaning?

Leave a comment:

• Thunder
    replied
    This conversation brings to mind a favorite NSU story of mine from before my time at NSU. Northern had to go to Brookings to play SDSU in the regional final and Ryan Miller dropped 45 on the bunnies. He ended the game with a big three and a throat slash to the crowd. Most Wolves fans that were at the game loved it, obviously it would be frowned upon today.

Leave a comment:

• Thunder
    replied
    Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post

Will have to agree to disagree on this one. I’ve played a lot of basket, coached a lot of basketball and watched a lot of basketball. If it were my team I would not want my players taunting the opposing fans under any circumstances. Apparently this is common in Aberdeen, but I have probably only seen something similar a couple times in my lifetime. I’m hoping this doesn’t become the norm in the future. I think there is a difference between celebrating a win and taunting an opposing fan base. But, that’s just my personal opinion.
    Yup, agree to disagree. I don’t know you or the level of your basketball resume, but my assumption is that it is not at this high of a level. Neither is mine so I can only speak to what I have seen from the stands. When you go into an arena for an intense game and there are a few thousand people on your back the whole game there has to be a release at the end knowing you sent all those people home unhappy. Obviously I’m not condoning anything crazy, but a little good natured waving and a few words at the end aren’t anything to be overly upset about, in my opinion of course.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

Will have to agree to disagree on this one. I’ve played a lot of basket, coached a lot of basketball and watched a lot of basketball. If it were my team I would not want my players taunting the opposing fans under any circumstances. Apparently this is common in Aberdeen, but I have probably only seen something similar a couple times in my lifetime. I’m hoping this doesn’t become the norm in the future. I think there is a difference between celebrating a win and taunting an opposing fan base. But, that’s just my personal opinion.
    You are starting to come off as that Christian Lewis dude. I don't know who he is or the history but always seems to be in the middle or some NSU/MSUM stuff online.

You must have hated basketball for many years then. Even back in high school, those days were what built mental toughness. Thousands scream and riding guys like Matt Martin and DJ Prue just have them hit shot after shot and blow kisses to the stands. Tension was high and gyms were packed.

We are now conditioned to so mucy politeness that games couldnt be any more boring of an atmosphere. Glad the Moorhead football team was there and glad to hear someone had a fun atmosphere for an NSIC game.

Leave a comment:

• Moorhead123
    replied

Perhaps this is a function of Moorhead not often having much of a crowd at games. In the rare event NSU loses a home game, it is a common sight to see an opposing player or two have a very similar interaction with the NSU fan base, and not the student section. It is very often directed at the seats right along the court or toward the gray haired section of the crowd. You win a big game on the road, you get to strut a little. Nobody should be offended by that.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

Was that the one that was on like Midwest Sports Network or whatever the precursor to FSN was? They moved the men's game to like 11:00 am so they could do it live. So of course all of the students set alarms and woke up about 6 for kegs and eggs and other libations. The student section (present company included) was well lubricated for that morning game. I remember going home after the game and falling asleep only to be woken up by having snow packed around my body in my bed.
    That sounds about right. Cannot confirm the snow portion of the story but the rest sounds accurate.

Leave a comment:

• Thunder
    replied
    Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

Another good one was (again) a Winona game that was a big deal at the time as both were good and it was on ESPN3 or something. There was something like 6,000 + people and other than the state Bs I'd never heard it so loud. Many of us took turns during times outs, pregame and at halftime of running around with the NSU flags.

As I passed Winonas huddle I slowed down screaming something like "you're done, it's over, bye-bye".....we lost that game, hahaha

That said Winona players were always really good about it whether home or away. They interacted and it was a blast, other than the losing part.
    Was that the one that was on like Midwest Sports Network or whatever the precursor to FSN was? They moved the men's game to like 11:00 am so they could do it live. So of course all of the students set alarms and woke up about 6 for kegs and eggs and other libations. The student section (present company included) was well lubricated for that morning game. I remember going home after the game and falling asleep only to be woken up by having snow packed around my body in my bed.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied
    Originally posted by Otis Day View Post

I will not tolerate any slander of my daily breakfast during your game discussion. Carry on.
    You know they make that in a flavor variety, right? Haha
    I'm glad you have a good heart and will live forever though.
    Last edited by NSU4LIFE; 01-11-2023, 01:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

Agree 100%. I caught just a piece of Saul's post game interview and he said it was fun to play in front of a crowd, any crowd. He said Jackson probably knew a lot of those guys and so I'm sure there was some good trash talking last night. Obviously you don't want anything that crosses the line, but it is good to see a student section (football team in this case) in the game. I'm quite certain we were both involved in some student sections that would probably be frowned upon today. I can even remember Coach Meyer yelling at us for one game to shut up. I'm not even sure what caused that reaction.
    Following a game instead of going to the l9cker room coach Baruth walked over and said "coach meyer wants to see you in the hallway"

It was very clearly and sternly communicated that they understand that Winona is a very good team in the league but that our players need to be focused on the current opponent each game. (Some on the baseline had a history of yelling "I hate Winona" randomly during almost every game for quite a few years)

I miss those days.

Another good one was (again) a Winona game that was a big deal at the time as both were good and it was on ESPN3 or something. There was something like 6,000 + people and other than the state Bs I'd never heard it so loud. Many of us took turns during times outs, pregame and at halftime of running around with the NSU flags.

As I passed Winonas huddle I slowed down screaming something like "you're done, it's over, bye-bye".....we lost that game, hahaha

That said Winona players were always really good about it whether home or away. They interacted and it was a blast, other than the losing part.

Leave a comment:

• Otis Day
    replied
    Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    No one pooped in cheerios but if I had to, it'd be in the worlds most bland cereal of all time, hahah
    I will not tolerate any slander of my daily breakfast during your game discussion. Carry on.

Leave a comment:

• Thunder
    replied

The initial taunting from Belka and Reede was directed at the fans in main seating section directly across from the benches of the two teams. I don’t believe there was any fans in that section being unruly during the game. The football team was sitting in their own small section along the baseline nearer the nsu bench and not close to the main seating area that was being taunted. Got no problem with nsu players giving a jab at those football guys. I get that it is fairly common for road teams to deal with some type of antics from the home football team players in attendance. I just thought after such a hard fought game by both teams it wasn’t a real classy move for a couple of the players to starting waving goodbye to the large grandstand of msum fans that were not seated anywhere near the football team. I’ve watched a lot a basketball games in my life and have rarely seen something like that. It’s not the end of the world, but I think some coaches (if they had seen their players to that) would have talked to them after the game and told them to not do that again in the future as it’s not a great look for the team. And to be fair, maybe Saul did have such a conversation in the locker room. Got no problem with nsu celebrating a hard fought road win. I think a couple guys took it too far in the moment. I think most coaches would generally tell their players to not interact with the opposing fans regardless of outcome. But maybe I’m too “old school.”
    Perhaps this is a function of Moorhead not often having much of a crowd at games. In the rare event NSU loses a home game, it is a common sight to see an opposing player or two have a very similar interaction with the NSU fan base, and not the student section. It is very often directed at the seats right along the court or toward the gray haired section of the crowd. You win a big game on the road, you get to strut a little. Nobody should be offended by that.

Leave a comment:

• Thunder
    replied
    Originally posted by NSUguy View Post

With all due respect what would you expect a team to do when the student section literally didn’t stop hurling insults at the players the entire game while on the bench and on the floor? Those five guys in the front row were borderline relentless. I’m not sure how they have voices this morning. You also maybe forgot to mention how part of the team went over there, Moni, Sam, and Coach Phillips included, to shake their hand or give them a high five after the game.

I don’t blame the student section for being that way, as that’s how I was during Northern games, while I was in college. However, never in my years has an opposing team came over and shook our hands. The taunting at the end was well deserved.
    Agree 100%. I caught just a piece of Saul's post game interview and he said it was fun to play in front of a crowd, any crowd. He said Jackson probably knew a lot of those guys and so I'm sure there was some good trash talking last night. Obviously you don't want anything that crosses the line, but it is good to see a student section (football team in this case) in the game. I'm quite certain we were both involved in some student sections that would probably be frowned upon today. I can even remember Coach Meyer yelling at us for one game to shut up. I'm not even sure what caused that reaction.

Leave a comment:

• Moorhead123
    replied

With all due respect what would you expect a team to do when the student section literally didn’t stop hurling insults at the players the entire game while on the bench and on the floor? Those five guys in the front row were borderline relentless. I’m not sure how they have voices this morning. You also maybe forgot to mention how part of the team went over there, Moni, Sam, and Coach Phillips included, to shake their hand or give them a high five after the game.

I don’t blame the student section for being that way, as that’s how I was during Northern games, while I was in college. However, never in my years has an opposing team came over and shook our hands. The taunting at the end was well deserved.
    The initial taunting from Belka and Reede was directed at the fans in main seating section directly across from the benches of the two teams. I don’t believe there was any fans in that section being unruly during the game. The football team was sitting in their own small section along the baseline nearer the nsu bench and not close to the main seating area that was being taunted. Got no problem with nsu players giving a jab at those football guys. I get that it is fairly common for road teams to deal with some type of antics from the home football team players in attendance. I just thought after such a hard fought game by both teams it wasn’t a real classy move for a couple of the players to starting waving goodbye to the large grandstand of msum fans that were not seated anywhere near the football team. I’ve watched a lot a basketball games in my life and have rarely seen something like that. It’s not the end of the world, but I think some coaches (if they had seen their players to that) would have talked to them after the game and told them to not do that again in the future as it’s not a great look for the team. And to be fair, maybe Saul did have such a conversation in the locker room. Got no problem with nsu celebrating a hard fought road win. I think a couple guys took it too far in the moment. I think most coaches would generally tell their players to not interact with the opposing fans regardless of outcome. But maybe I’m too “old school.”

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

Thanks, I was wondering what was happening after the game

Leave a comment:

• NSUguy
    replied
    Well that game went about as expected…obviously would have preferred a different outcome, but nsu just made a few more plays down the stretch. Moni was terrific and msum has to find a way to slow him down if we meet again. He destroys the dragons almost every time we see him. Knew it was going to be a long night when he banked in his first three of the game. Not real impressed with a couple nsu players taunting the msum fans in the stands as the horn sounded, but not going to lose any sleep over it, I guess.

As far as the discussion on whether these teams are in the conversation with some of top teams in country…I think they are based on the fact that msum already played to the wire with black hills state (number 3 in country and final four member from last year) and that the top teams in the nsic historically do compete well with the top teams in country. Msum needs move on from a game they had every chance to win and get ready to play at smsu and usf. I expect their respective best shots when the dragons come to town.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X