Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NSIC Tournament First Round Scores - Quarterfinal Pairings

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
    No matter where you host it, someone is going to have a travel advantage. Put it in St. Paul, it favors CSP and SCSU. Put it in Fargo, it's closer for Moorhead and the ND schools. Put in in Rochester, Winona and Mankato have the edge. Put it in Mitchell and Northern would have the edge. The only way to avoid that is to put it at a high seed, but it's hard to that when there are two No. 1 seeds every year. Especially since the conference wants both the men's and women's tournaments at the same site.

None of those towns have a venue like the Pentagon though. I made my first appearance there tonight and it is FIRST CLASS! I knew a bit of what to expect, but it still kind of shocks you when you step inside.

It's good enough to hold the Elite Eight, but apparently not good enough to host the NSIC Tournament.

LOL, why would NSU have an advantage in Mitchell? Haha

I believe NSUguy is stating as a form of punishment, it should be moved, might be a little strong but whatever.

Especially at the d2 level, if you can get that many fans traveling and attending games, you want to have the venue for it. It might be perfect size, I have no idea. Never been there and probably will never get to. I think back to when Winona had their had day and 10 of us traveled 7+ hours to go to a regional game, only to be told we couldn't go in because it was sold out. Then someone came by and said "just let them all in" so we stood between the pep band and a game day daycare section with no seats.

Augie has the 2nd best attendance in the conference, NSU has by far the first, SMSU isn't too far behind. As you saw last night NSU travels incredibly well, though the majority was probably local people since Sioux Falls has a good portion of our alumni. No one said it "wasn't good enough" as you implied, we said it wasn't big enough. But, I'm hearing now it mixed reports on thay so whatever. It's funny you would bring up the Elite8, Sioux Falls will continue to get all these events and eventually steal every single state hs championship away from every other town....but can you imagine of Augie made the elite 8? In a 3,400 capacity place, anyone traveling from any other school in the country would never get it. Augie would have no problem getting that many fans in town to go to a game.

If the conference tourney was in Rochester or the cities everyone would have to travel because those srent big fan bases anymore. (I'm not promoting a move, i honestly don't care because ill never be able to go) Im not sure how you think Concordia would have some advantage...they play in half a gym and have no fans.

It's never going to be perfect, the play in game was a total bush league move but it's not going to be punished, Augie will keep playing and get to spend some money on a trip to Maryville or wherever they have to stay for the regional. Good luck to all the NSIC teams.
    Last edited by NSU4LIFE; 02-27-2017, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by benchwarmer75 View Post
      Not sure what the down side would have been to NSU going big since their guards were giving uncontested open looks to Augie all night anyway. NSU was not prepared to play and have never had a backup offense to try when the outside shots do not fall like tonight. Boring and predictable offensive set that wastes the talent and size NSU has. Sather takes issue when asked about dual post sets and I can see why, because every fan in the arena has the same idea. If I were Billeter or any other coach NSU has faced this year I would be praying not to see a Doyle Evans Decker front line and Sather obliged them all year. I thought they would make a run this year but have lost faith, and it is not because of a lack of talent.
      Well said

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
        I can't believe no one has congratulated the National Champs on clinching a berth in the Central Regional yet, losing Two Pros and a Pig Farmer was a lot but not enough to keep Texas Tom off the dance floor.

Congrats to the Wolves for arguably bringing more fans than the hometown Vikings to the perfectly sized Pentagon to witness the end of Northern's season. Warren and Beyer took Smith and Arvidson out of their comfort zone, which left Doyle with a weight on his back he was not equipped to carry. Shout to Lucas Walford and Marcus Asmus for their first half efforts while Huisken sat on the bench with two fouls.

The one obvious move for SaTTher in this game was to play Doyle and Evans together and see if Busack could handle it, but Paul has shown zero ability to adapt in-game and that's probably why he's 2-11 all time versus Billeter and 0-4 in NSIC Tourney games. Bringing back Paterka to replace Mack Arvidson's 45-90 degree leg kick outs will only strengthen the Wolves case as NSIC favorites next year. If they're not a top four Regional seed next year SaTTher should be left to roam the Plains free of head coaching responsibilities.

If Beyer and Warren bring that defensive intensity tomorrow night against the Bruggestangs I feel extremely confident that the Vikings will be playing for their 3rd straight NSIC Tourney title.
        Congrats national Champs, there....happy?

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
          The one obvious move for SaTTher in this game was to play Doyle and Evans together and see if Busack could handle it, but Paul has shown zero ability to adapt in-game and that's probably why he's 2-11 all time versus Billeter and 0-4 in NSIC Tourney games. Bringing back Paterka to replace Mack Arvidson's 45-90 degree leg kick outs will only strengthen the Wolves case as NSIC favorites next year. If they're not a top four Regional seed next year SaTTher should be left to roam the Plains free of head coaching responsibilities.
          I struggle with calling for people jobs, but to say it's frustrating is anot understatement. I was going to ask the record but didn't really want the answer. It's too bad because it's a good rivalry as is, let alone if the records were more even.

It pretty crazy, to see the teams NSU has had together. Winona goes to three straight NC games, one year NSU has four wins all year to that Winona team. Meyer is considered a legend in the basketball coaching world and he struggled mightily to beat the Warriors. I think a lot of that is Winona had unbelievable talent for the D2 level, but it is what it is. Now we have Sather, a recruiting process, all kinds of talent, and here we are again, just not able to beat a team year after year. And just like ten years ago, that foe is another National Champion.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
            LOL, why would NSU have an advantage in Mitchell? Haha
            I forgot for a second that Mitchell is along I-90. Thought it was closer to Aberdeen, like within an hour's drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
              I forgot for a second that Mitchell is along I-90. Thought it was closer to Aberdeen, like within an hour's drive.
              Just a short 150 mile drive at 60 mph down scenic 281.

Comment

They should've held the NSIC tourney in Maryville, Missouri. Truly neutral site as far as not close for anyone. Would've had plenty of seating and hotel rooms as few would've traveled that far. The winner would simply stay there and get ready for the regional. And boy would that help Augie to get ready for Northwest Missouri.

Comment

I have to give Coach Billeter credit for bringing this team together. It would be easy to lose some coaching intensity after winning a national championship, and losing 3 unbelievably talented players to graduation. He brought in a graduate transfer who scored nearly half of his career total in one season with Augie and coached up some young guys and veterans men. This team got better as the season progressed! It looked to me like a very talented NSU teeam was out coached last night by Texas Tom.
                  Last edited by vikingfaithful; 02-27-2017, 10:30 AM.

Comment

I selfishly like having the tournament in Sioux Falls. It's an easy trip (and relatively short trip) from Wayne and it's a great town with plenty to do. With that said, I really think the conference should have prevented Augie (or USF in the future) from playing that first round game at the Pentagon.

I also think the two Sioux Falls schools should have to pack up and stay in hotels like the other visiting teams do.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                      I have to give Coach Billeter credit for bringing this team together. It would be easy to lose some coaching intensity after winning a national championship, after losing 3 unbelievably talented players to graduation. He brought in a graduate transfer who scored nearly half of his career total in one season with Augie and coached up some young guys and veterans men. This team got better as the season progressed! It looked to me like a very talented NSU teeam was out coached last night by Texas Tom.
                      Total understatement. I have to admit, I didn't know Texas Tom was still there until about a month ago. Was he rumored to have another job after last season? I thought he took it.

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
                        I selfishly like having the tournament in Sioux Falls. It's an easy trip (and relatively short trip) from Wayne and it's a great town with plenty to do. With that said, I really think the conference should have prevented Augie (or USF in the future) from playing that first round game at the Pentagon.

I also think the two Sioux Falls schools should have to pack up and stay in hotels like the other visiting teams do.
                        How is conference tournament host decided in NSIC? Is it bid process?
                        Go Hounds!
                        B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                        Cyclone Power
                        ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

With that said, I really think the conference should have prevented Augie (or USF in the future) from playing that first round game at the Pentagon.

The first part will happen, the second part I don't see happening.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                            The first part will happen, the second part I don't see happening.
                            I know, cuts into the bottom line. But still should happen.

Comment

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post
                              How is conference tournament host decided in NSIC? Is it bid process?
                              I believe so, yes.

Many years ago, the regular season conference champion got to host the final few rounds of the tournament. Then it started rotating around as the league wanted to get the men's and women's tournaments in the same location for television purposes. It was in St. Paul and Rochester, Minnesota for a while before settling on Sioux Falls.

Comment

I know, cuts into the bottom line. But still should happen.
                                Our radio guy said Wayne stopped at the pentagon for practice on it's way up to SCSU.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X