Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LukeMcConnell1 View Post

I think NWOSU and Henderson are the ones to watch in GAC. Both very dangerous when they're clicking. I know the MIAA is deep, but it's hard to see a bid-stealer. Seed-stealer, perhaps, as any of the group of Western, Southern, Central, Hays, Pitt and NWMO could win the league tourney. But they're already contenders anyway. Although, according to Inkblot, UCM would be a bid-stealer at this point.
    I think UCM probably has to make the Conference Championship game to have a shot. If they win one and drop the Semi-Final, Pitt and Northwest stay ahead of them.

I think Mo Western has a loss in them before regionals, very good team but that record is built on a pretty favorable schedule - they don't go to Southern this year and haven't played at Pitt yet, also only played Central once. Pitt is putting things back together now that they're healthy, but is still always prone to foul trouble costing them games. If they keep players on the floor they have the firepower to beat anybody. My inkling is that if Northwest can dodge the matchup with Western, they might be the one to win the conference tourney, but that probably means they need to win the regular season finale at Southern to get the 3-seed. I feel like I have less reasons to doubt MoSo than anybody else, except uh... losing 3 of their last 4 games. Maybe I feel like I'll be surprised if anybody wins it.

I like Henderson, but I don't think they have 3 straight wins in a tournament setting in them. NWOSU could cause trouble.

Comment

I think NWOSU and Henderson are the ones to watch in GAC. Both very dangerous when they're clicking. I know the MIAA is deep, but it's hard to see a bid-stealer. Seed-stealer, perhaps, as any of the group of Western, Southern, Central, Hays, Pitt and NWMO could win the league tourney. But they're already contenders anyway. Although, according to Inkblot, UCM would be a bid-stealer at this point.
      Inkblot has some weird projections IMHO. Curious to see how close he comes tomorrow. I know he is often right, but there are some VERY tight regions right now. Even his latest projections didn't always follow the RPI, so I know he is trying to apply how the committee will think.

Comment

I wouldn't call UCM a bid stealer. If they win the conference tournament, they'll almost certainly be well inside the top 8. There just isn't room for 6 MIAA teams in the regional, and as of right now I think UCM would be the odd one out.

Comment

Originally posted by D2Rover View Post
          I like Henderson, but I don't think they have 3 straight wins in a tournament setting in them. NWOSU could cause trouble.
          Henderson's wild card is the fact they're a good 3-point shooting team and have the best shooter, percentage-wise, in the nation. They're dangerous if they get hot. Outside of Harding actually beating SNU, Henderson has given SNU the best fight so far this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

I wouldn't call UCM a bid stealer. If they win the conference tournament, they'll almost certainly be well inside the top 8. There just isn't room for 6 MIAA teams in the regional, and as of right now I think UCM would be the odd one out.
            There couldn't be with 3 automatic bids. I think you start with the obvious: Southern Naz, Missouri Western, Missouri Southern, Harding. Then you have winner of the NSIC. That leaves 3 spots. But I still would bet on Central getting in given their coach, history, and tournament experience. They did have a bad loss recently, but before that they had some quality wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Bballfan View Post

There couldn't be with 3 automatic bids. I think you start with the obvious: Southern Naz, Missouri Western, Missouri Southern, Harding. Then you have winner of the NSIC. That leaves 3 spots. But I still would bet on Central getting in given their coach, history, and tournament experience. They did have a bad loss recently, but before that they had some quality wins.
              All three of those criteria have nothing to do with how teams are actually selected. Right now, UCM is 5-6 against teams over .500, plus the bad loss to Emporia. NWMO (bad losses to UCO and Washburn) and Pitt State (bad losses to Washburn and Emporia) are both 7-4, Missouri Southern is 8-7. UCM SOS is also 14th in the region, which definitely doesn't help its case. And while in-region record isn't a good metric, IMO, it is considered and UCM is only 16-7 in region.

Comment

I think they will make a run in the conference tournament and play there way in to a spot. That's all I am saying. They have too good of players to underachieve in the regular season like they have this year.

Comment

Not sure what is up with UCM this season. I find myself disappointed in their 2nd half performance.

Comment

I think they will make a run in the conference tournament and play there way in to a spot. That's all I am saying. They have too good of players to underachieve in the regular season like they have this year.
                    I mean in early December they were #3 in the nation. That is what coaches thought of them in terms of potential. To go from that to possibly missing the tournament, that is a big swing. I myself had them making the Elite Eight and possibly the Final Four. I guess they still could.

Comment

ATLANTIC
                      Rank School Overall DII Record In-Region Record
                      1 Gannon 28-2 25-2
                      2 Fairmont State 21-5 21-5
                      3 Fayetteville State 24-2 24-2
                      4 Lock Haven 24-2 24-2
                      5 Indiana (Pennsylvania) 19-5 19-5
                      6 California (Pennsylvania) 19-7 19-7
                      7 West Chester 21-5 21-5
                      8 Virginia State 20-4 20-4
                      9 Edinboro 15-10 15-9
                      10 Charleston (West Virginia) 17-9 17-9
                      CENTRAL
                      1 Southern Nazarene 25-1 25-1
                      2 Missouri Western 20-4 19-3
                      3 Fort Hays State 19-6 19-6
                      4 Missouri Southern State 19-7 18-6
                      5 Harding 22-4 22-4
                      6 Minnesota State Mankato 23-5 21-4
                      7 Pittsburg State 19-6 19-6
                      8 Northwest Missouri State 19-6 19-6
                      9 Central Missouri 18-7 16-7
                      10 Northwestern Oklahoma State 19-5 17-5
                      EAST
                      1 Assumption 22-4 22-4
                      2 Bentley 22-5 22-5
                      3 Saint Rose 20-5 20-5
                      4 Southern New Hampshire 17-8 17-8
                      5 Thomas Jefferson University 25-1 25-1
                      6 Franklin Pierce 17-9 17-9
                      7 Daemen 17-7 16-5
                      8 Pace 17-10 17-10
                      9 St. Thomas Aquinas 17-10 17-10
                      10 Southen Connecticut State 16-11 16-11
                      MIDWEST
                      1 Ashland 25-1 25-1
                      2 Grand Valley State 23-1 22-1
                      3 Ferris State 18-4 17-3
                      4 Northern Michigan 18-7 18-7
                      5 Kentucky Wesleyan 18-5 18-5
                      6 Drury 20-5 20-5
                      7 Trevecca Nazarene 17-8 17-8
                      8 Wisconsin-Parkside 13-10 12-10
                      9 Northwood 18-7 18-7
                      10 Michigan Tech 14-10 14-10
                      SOUTH CENTRAL
                      1 Texas Woman's University 25-4 22-4
                      2 Colorado Mesa 22-5 22-5
                      3 Regis (Colorado) 21-5 21-5
                      4 Colorado School of Mines 20-6 20-6
                      5 The University of Texas at Tyler 22-6 20-5
                      6 Texas Permian Basin 20-5 18-5
                      7 Lubbock Christian 19-8 18-7
                      8 Adams State 21-7 21-7
                      9 Colorado-Colorado Springs 18-7 18-7
                      10 Colorado Christian 15-10 14-10
                      SOUTH
                      1 Valdosta State 23-2 23-2
                      2 Union (Tennessee) 23-2 21-2
                      3 Nova Southeastern 22-3 19-3
                      4 Tampa 24-5 19-4
                      5 Embry-Riddle (Florida) 16-7 16-7
                      6 Lee 17-8 17-8
                      7 Auburn Montgomery 18-9 17-9
                      8 Eckerd 15-10 12-9
                      9 Miles 18-5 18-5
                      10 Kentucky State 15-6 15-6
                      SOUTHEAST
                      1 Catawba 20-4 20-4
                      2 Anderson (South Carolina) 19-7 19-7
                      3 Georgia Southwestern 19-3 19-3
                      4 Carson-Newman 19-8 19-7
                      5 Wingate 18-8 18-8
                      6 Lenoir-Rhyne 20-7 20-7
                      7 Augusta University 19-7 19-7
                      8 Columbus State 15-9 13-9
                      9 Lander 15-10 15-10
                      10 Francis Marion 18-6 18-6
                      WEST
                      1 Azusa Pacific 25-3 25-2
                      2 Montana State Billings 22-4 20-2
                      3 Western Washington 21-5 20-5
                      4 Cal State San Marcos 20-6 20-6
                      5 Cal Poly Pomona 17-8 17-8
                      6 Point Loma 15-10 15-10
                      7 Cal State LA 16-10 16-10
                      8 Chico State 18-8 18-8
                      9 Alaska Anchorage 16-7 14-7
                      10 Central Washington 16-10 14-9

Comment

From last years Elite Eight:
                        Ashland, Assumption, Catawba: Top of Region
                        Tampa: 4th
                        Tyler: 5th
                        Glenville: Unranked, might have been close but then lost to the #10 team
                        Duluth, Dominguez Hills: Not even close

Comment

Originally posted by D2Rover View Post
                          From last years Elite Eight:
                          Ashland, Assumption, Catawba: Top of Region
                          Tampa: 4th
                          Tyler: 5th
                          Glenville: Unranked, might have been close but then lost to the #10 team
                          Duluth, Dominguez Hills: Not even close
                          Assumption was the worst Elite Eight team I have ever seen. In the Midwest or Central Regions, they wouldn't even have made the tournament. The Central, South Central,and Midwest have multiple teams that would make the Elite Eight in any other region.Sad the way the tournament is done, but it is what it is.

Comment

I think whoever comes out of the West region will represent well this year. I've known the West isn't quite at the level of the Central or the top of the Midwest, but was surprised to see the last team to win an Elite Eight game before WWU a couple years back was Cal Baptist in 2017. Dominguez Hills never looked like a championship team to me last year in spite of their record, and caught some favorable matchups to get through the regional. I think the top 4 out West this year (APU, MSUB, WWU, CSUSM) would all give a better Elite Eight performance, and I don't see anybody else in the region beating three of those teams in a row to get through the regional.

Comment

Assumption was the worst Elite Eight team I have ever seen. In the Midwest or Central Regions, they wouldn't even have made the tournament. The Central, South Central,and Midwest have multiple teams that would make the Elite Eight in any other region.Sad the way the tournament is done, but it is what it is.
                              Did you see the efforts West Texas and Missouri Western put in two years ago in Birmingham? I think WT had some injuries, but both of those teams were just as far off the pace as Assumption was last year.

The Central and usually South Central have teams miss the tournament every year that would make it in any other regions, but most regions have one or two teams at the top that would still compete to win the regional (last year's East probably being an exception, I think Bentley is better this year). The Midwest region has two teams that would be favored to win every region, but I don't buy that the depth of talent there really compares to the Central region or even South Central.

Comment

I saw West Texas and Missouri Western. I believe Assumption was the worst.

I would agree about the depth of the Central and South Central. But then the top teams from the Midwest last year (Ashland, Grand Valley, Drury) probably beat any other team in the nation. I mean National Runner Up Minnesota Duluth lost by 15 to Michigan Tech, who was 4th seed in the Midwest in 2023. I think other than Ashland and Grand Valley, the Midwest is down a little this year. I know this year the South Central is brutal, and I think the same of the Central.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X