Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best USI basketball coaches of all-time

Originally posted by bkingbroker View Post
    Let's say Hot Wod came into the role with some restrictions in place, which I won't dispute. But that has not meant he has not had the liberty to take "at risk" players, in fact he has brought in quite a few. And there is nothing wrong in doing so. But a coach like any other profession should be judged by success in their position.

I will take it a step further and say success plus effort in moving the program forward. This is where I have had my issue. There is NO excuse one can give to justify not being an NCAA tourney team. There is NO excuse to lose to programs like Maryville. There is NO excuse playing second fiddle to some of the programs having more success than we have had in the past few years.

This is a critical year in my opinion. We have 3 really good players returning this year. The league is not going to have a dominant team this year. If we don't win and win big...the time for excuses should come to and end.
    I agree with your assessment regarding the loss to Maryville in the GLVC Tournament. There was no excuse for such a loss. Many of us longtime USI fans were more than upset it happened on our home floor. But, does everyone recall how Pearl could not beat Ray Harper and Ky. Wesleyan his final three years at USI? There were boosters upset with Pearl for losing to KWC! I just accepted KWC was better in that case, and I wish Bruce had remained at USI.

That said, would I rather win by breaking rules (i.e. Herdes) and later getting caught and forfeiting an entire season? Or take a chance Watson will grow into this position at USI? Believe me when I say I want to win like the days of Pearl, Gouard, Bowles, Tate, etc., but I do not want to relive the scandal. It hurt USI's image, damaged its reputation among all the GLVC schools, and we are still trying to recover.

I do agree with you about this season being critical. The GLVC is just a shadow of itself and is very winnable. I am betting USI gets to 20 wins and the NCAAs. If not, while I am not a coach-basher at all, then a review of the program is in order.

Comment

Originally posted by bkingbroker View Post
      Let's say Hot Wod came into the role with some restrictions in place, which I won't dispute. But that has not meant he has not had the liberty to take "at risk" players, in fact he has brought in quite a few. And there is nothing wrong in doing so. But a coach like any other profession should be judged by success in their position.

I will take it a step further and say success plus effort in moving the program forward. This is where I have had my issue. There is NO excuse one can give to justify not being an NCAA tourney team. There is NO excuse to lose to programs like Maryville. There is NO excuse playing second fiddle to some of the programs having more success than we have had in the past few years.

This is a critical year in my opinion. We have 3 really good players returning this year. The league is not going to have a dominant team this year. If we don't win and win big...the time for excuses should come to and end.
      I was at the NCAA regional last year in Wisconsin and noticed the teams were all just shells of what we saw in the 1980s and 1990s in the GLVC. A good USI, KWC, Ashland team would have steamrolled past the teams in last year's Midwest regional. UW-Parkside was very average and I thought KWC was actually better than the Rangers. I liked KWC's athleticism, but the lack of a great schedule probably hurt their preparations for the NCAA. I do believe KWC is well coached and they will be a huge factor in the region this season.

To your point about second fiddle in the GLVC, I agree. This can not continue, and I don't think it will. Jon Mark Hall and Dr. Bennett know many boosters are unhappy. They are also patient to a fault. Look at how long they have put up with the volleyball coach and the up and down women's basketball program under Rick Stein. Many schools would have made a move with those two programs, but USI has been patient. If USI does not win 20 games or close this season, I do think Watson will likely face a very hot seat in March.

Comment

Originally posted by EaglesPride View Post
        I agree with your assessment regarding the loss to Maryville in the GLVC Tournament. There was no excuse for such a loss. Many of us longtime USI fans were more than upset it happened on our home floor. But, does everyone recall how Pearl could not beat Ray Harper and Ky. Wesleyan his final three years at USI? There were boosters upset with Pearl for losing to KWC! I just accepted KWC was better in that case, and I wish Bruce had remained at USI.

That said, would I rather win by breaking rules (i.e. Herdes) and later getting caught and forfeiting an entire season? Or take a chance Watson will grow into this position at USI? Believe me when I say I want to win like the days of Pearl, Gouard, Bowles, Tate, etc., but I do not want to relive the scandal. It hurt USI's image, damaged its reputation among all the GLVC schools, and we are still trying to recover.

I do agree with you about this season being critical. The GLVC is just a shadow of itself and is very winnable. I am betting USI gets to 20 wins and the NCAAs. If not, while I am not a coach-basher at all, then a review of the program is in order.
        Pearl beat Harper in his final three years. In fact beat him at PAC pearls final yr
        Home loss to Maryville not equal to loss to Harper KWC natl champs at sports center
        Shouldn't be uttered in same breath

How long does he need to grow in his position? 10,12,15 years?

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Silky Panties View Post
          Pearl beat Harper in his final three years. In fact beat him at PAC pearls final yr
          Home loss to Maryville not equal to loss to Harper KWC natl champs at sports center

Oh, so Pearl beat Harper his final three years? See from the USI record book. Or is it wrong?

86 *Kentucky Wesleyan 97
          109 *Saint Joseph's 83
          110 *IPFW (A) 108
          87 *MISSOURI-ST. LOUIS 66
          91 *QUINCY 66
          101 *SIU EDWARDSVILLE 73
          87 *Wisconsin-Parkside 72
          84 *Lewis 70
          89 *KENTUCKY WESLEYAN 91
          113 *BELLARMINE 86
          81 +Indianapolis 67
          91 +St. Joseph's 88
          74 +Kentucky Wesleyan 91
          92 !Northern Kentucky 93 (ot)
          *GLVC; +GLVC Tournament (Roberts Stadium); !NCAA II Tournament (@Kentucky Wesleyan)

Comment

Oh, two more losses to KWC the year before. That's five straight losses for Pearl to Harper. Learn to count. Maybe you can even find a job.

88 +Kentucky Wesleyan 90
            83 !Michigan Tech 66
            79 !Kentucky Wesleyan 88
            *GLVC; >High Desert Classic (at Las Vegas, NV); +GLVC Tournament (at Roberts Stadium); !NCAA II Great Lakes Regional (at Kentucky Wesleyan)

Comment

This year will be Watson's statement as a head coach. Either he wins big, or USI will do an evaluation of him and decide if it's time to go in another direction.

Comment

Oh, so Pearl beat Harper his final three years? See from the USI record book. Or is it wrong?

86 *Kentucky Wesleyan 97
                109 *Saint Joseph's 83
                110 *IPFW (A) 108
                87 *MISSOURI-ST. LOUIS 66
                91 *QUINCY 66
                101 *SIU EDWARDSVILLE 73
                87 *Wisconsin-Parkside 72
                84 *Lewis 70
                89 *KENTUCKY WESLEYAN 91
                113 *BELLARMINE 86
                81 +Indianapolis 67
                91 +St. Joseph's 88
                74 +Kentucky Wesleyan 91
                92 !Northern Kentucky 93 (ot)
                *GLVC; +GLVC Tournament (Roberts Stadium); !NCAA II Tournament (@Kentucky Wesleyan)

I guess this live ABC broadcast must be a staged fraud.

https://youtu.be/TuJEGiLwd1o

Comment

Oh, two more losses to KWC the year before. That's five straight losses for Pearl to Harper. Learn to count. Maybe you can even find a job.

88 +Kentucky Wesleyan 90
                  83 !Michigan Tech 66
                  79 !Kentucky Wesleyan 88
                  *GLVC; >High Desert Classic (at Las Vegas, NV); +GLVC Tournament (at Roberts Stadium); !NCAA II Great Lakes Regional (at Kentucky Wesleyan)
                  im retired boy. My only job now is to service your wife while your out for a tossed salad.

Comment

I guess this live ABC broadcast must be a staged fraud.

https://youtu.be/TuJEGiLwd1o
                    That is BEFORE the losses - five straight to Harper in Pearl's last two years. That is why some USI boosters began complaining about Pearl. Get your facts straight and worry about that new pair of sandals your mommy and daddy will buy you later.

Comment

im retired boy. My only job now is to service your wife while your out for a tossed salad.
                      Okay, Mr. Herdes! lol

Comment

That is BEFORE the losses - five straight to Harper in Pearl's last two years. That is why some USI boosters began complaining about Pearl. Get your facts straight and worry about that new pair of sandals your mommy and daddy will buy you later.
                        No boosters complained about Pearl. Nice try though using fiction to cool the heat on HoT WoD.

Comment

No boosters complained about Pearl. Nice try though using fiction to cool the heat on HoT WoD.
                          Trust me, I sat in on meetings and heard the whining about Pearl. I defended him, too. The fanatics were delusional thinking Pearl was the problem. It was the fact KWC and Ray Harper had built a dynasty. Go try on those new sandals and try not to get mud on your parents new basement floor.

Comment

Trust me, I sat in on meetings and heard the whining about Pearl. I defended him, too. The fanatics were delusional thinking Pearl was the problem. It was the fact KWC and Ray Harper had built a dynasty. Go try on those new sandals and try not to get mud on your parents new basement floor.
                            No whining about Pearl. You lie. Meeting must have been you and your shadow.

Comment

There was plenty of whining and back-biting. Some of the V.C. guys and gals even brought up the Kevin Caldwell arrest years before as a reason to look at Bruce real hard. I even recall one of them telling us Pearl should have never brought Cortez Barnes to USI because he was later pulled over and told the police they couldn't arrest him because he was Cortez Barnes. You probably remember all that, right, Mr. Herdes?

Comment

Want to talk Rashard Sullivan, his girlfriend who found work at USI after he told Drury he was going there? He ended up at USI thanks to Herdes clever ways. Ask Coach Hesser at Drury about Sullivan and Herdes, and the girlfriend who found a job at USI. Interesting. I sat in on those meetings as well. That would never fly today for Watson. That's why we lost David Palmer in Watson's first year, he ended up at Northern Kentucky.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X