Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is the GLIAC still around?

Originally posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
    Chris Thomas...he wanted to come to USI, but Bennett and Bertam laughed at Pearl due to the haircut credits
    Thomas never actually did any haircutting, he was majoring in styling and trimming at the barber school. I believe he minored in close shaves.

Comment

Originally posted by EaglesPride View Post
      I think the term student-athlete is such a joke. Just call them players, like we all know they are, and they are at all our schools to play. If they get a degree, that is great.
      There is a percentage of them that use their athletic talent as a vehicle to get to go to college when they most likely would not have been able to otherwise. The percentage of these true student athletes is higher in D2 than in D1.

Comment

Originally posted by kwcpantherfan View Post
        Even if that IS true, Watson was still all-in on him, hence my statement that "...your coaches have been taking..." is completely accurate. Hell, Roddy was so proud he even had a press release about signing him! And getting him to announce signings is like pulling teeth!
        And just to offer you the olive branch, USI is not the school that tattled on Ky. Wesleyan...I know for a fact it was Northern Ky. and their FAR. His name was Kearns and always kept his eyes on KWC recruits. I remember Pearl telling us Kearns actually ran the GLVC as its president, the commish just did whatever Kearns told him. He even tried to say one of guys, Jeremy Pearson, was ineligible right before the GLVC Tournament one year so we could not play! McAloose told him no way was he going to stop and re-seed the GLVC Tournament because of an allegation. So don't blame us for what happened in the postseason bans and forfeiting of wins, it was not USI.

Comment

There is a percentage of them that use their athletic talent as a vehicle to get to go to college when they most likely would not have been able to otherwise. The percentage of these true student athletes is higher in D2 than in D1.
          Not even truth. If we're going to talk shop, let's at least be honest. The same garbage that goes on in D-1 goes on in D-2. Always has, always will. I will agree there are some guys who take their school seriously, and that's a credit to them. But you and I both know why 99% of them are at D-2 - they are too small, academic issues, not quick enough. At least admit that.

Comment

Even if that IS true, Watson was still all-in on him, hence my statement that "...your coaches have been taking..." is completely accurate. Hell, Roddy was so proud he even had a press release about signing him! And getting him to announce signings is like pulling teeth!
            No doubt, Watson went overboard if they released it. I never actually saw a release on the Kitty Killer. Do you have a link?

Comment

You will confess that Chris Thomas is not among the percentage of "true student-athletes" you refers to? Getting credits from barber school and transferring them to Ky. Wesleyan is sort of a bad look. And I don't care how skilled Thomas might have been with clippers, scissors, or razors. lol

Comment

See link regarding the KWC true student-athletes. From USA Today.
                http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...robation_x.htm

Comment

Is Jim Welch, the legendary KWC faculty athletic representative, still involved in KWC sports? He loved the Panthers basketball so much!

Comment

And this...

OWENSBORO, Ky. - On a day when the NCAA revealed a wide scope of minor rules violations and cited Kentucky Wesleyan for "a lack of institutional control," school administrators expressed their relief.
                    "Finally," said Wayne Foster, the chairman of the Board of Trustees, as he began a news conference on Friday afternoon at the Winchester Center on the Wesleyan campus. "We've been waiting on this a long time."
                    An investigation that clouded over the school for almost three years, leaving a shade of rumor and speculation, has ended, and the NCAA did not ban any team from postseason play.
                    The NCAA handed down several penalties, including taking away one scholarship from the men's basketball and baseball teams for the 2006-07 seasons and putting Wesleyan on probation for the next three years.
                    "My understanding of what that means is they're going to be looking over our shoulder really closely for three years," Foster said.
                    The investigation uncovered a surprising amount of violations, 69 in all involving 45 athletes in eight sports spanning from 1998 to 2005.
                    "We had no idea all that was going on," Foster said. "Most of the things, if you looked at them one at a time, you'd say, 'That's very minor.' It's the fact that there was so many of them.
                    "We were just, for the lack of a better word, we were sloppy," he added. "Our record-keeping was not very good."
                    In its report, the Division II Committee on Infractions noted: "The case mainly involved violations in the areas of student-athlete eligibility certification, tracking of countable athletically related activities, and monitoring of promotional activities."
                    Jim Naumovich, the Great Lakes Valley Conference commissioner, could not be reached for comment.
                    As for how so many violations occurred without the school's knowledge, Foster could only speculate that Wesleyan's clean history with the NCAA gave administrators a false sense of security that they were handling compliance appropriately.
                    "We know now that won't do it," he said.
                    KWC has no athletics director - Larry Moore resigned from the position more than a year ago - but the department could name one as soon as next week.
                    Men's basketball coach Todd Lee had two fewer scholarships a year ago because of GLVC sanctions, and he had prepared to have one fewer this season.
                    "We've gone through two recruiting classes with this over our heads," Lee said. "And it's funny, but coaches in the league and coaches around seem to use that as a competitive advantage.
                    "We're just glad this is out now so in the future, we have something on paper to tell them, 'Hey, we're going to play in the postseason.' "
                    In December 2004, Wesleyan named math professor Leeanne Faulkner its first compliance director. She is also part of an eight-member compliance committee, established soon after that.
                    Before Faulkner took over compliance, faculty athletics representative Jim Welch, who no longer is with the school, oversaw all compliance issues. Until December 2004, one man - Welch - was in charge of handling compliance for every athlete and team. That work now is done by eight people.
                    "We just didn't know," Foster said. "The new athletics directors we've been interviewing, they're just in shock."
                    The NCAA investigation began in January 2004 at the request of the GLVC, which discovered two men's basketball players used in the 2002-03 season were academically ineligible. In the wake of those findings, Moore resigned, president Wes Poling left for Yale, and men's basketball coach Ray Harper left for Oklahoma City University.
                    Cooperating with the NCAA, Faulkner interviewed every transfer student in every sport since 2000, a that took about 30 hours a month.
                    Some violations occurred when the school allowed for a faxed transcript to serve as official documentation for a transfer student, rather than having someone follow up and get an official transcript from the school.
                    Others happened when Wesleyan didn't require a high-school transcript from a transfer student, which the school, not the NCAA, requires. "That's a violation because we're treating athletes differently," Faulkner said.
                    One more penalty that Wesleyan received from the NCAA was to vacate - essentially forfeit - every game the 45 improperly-certified athletes played. The vacated results must be referenced in media guides and recruiting materials, and any banner or stationery referencing a now-vacated result must be removed.
                    As part of the GLVC's sanctions in June 2004, Kentucky Wesleyan vacated its 2003 GLVC championship.
                    The coaches, athletic staff and admissions staff have also been ordered to undergo a "comprehensive educational program" on compliance and record-keeping, which has already started.
                    "If you've never dealt with the NCAA, their rulebook is pretty good-sized," Foster said. "I don't know how you can keep up with all of that. We're going to do our best."

Comment

I hope I have not ran off all the Ky. Wesleyan fans with these facts. lol!

Comment

I apologize if I hurt your feelings with so many facts to prove my points. Can we start over?

Comment

And just to offer you the olive branch, USI is not the school that tattled on Ky. Wesleyan...I know for a fact it was Northern Ky. and their FAR. His name was Kearns and always kept his eyes on KWC recruits. I remember Pearl telling us Kearns actually ran the GLVC as its president, the commish just did whatever Kearns told him. He even tried to say one of guys, Jeremy Pearson, was ineligible right before the GLVC Tournament one year so we could not play! McAloose told him no way was he going to stop and re-seed the GLVC Tournament because of an allegation. So don't blame us for what happened in the postseason bans and forfeiting of wins, it was not USI.
                          We know. We've known forever. This is not news, thank you. This is the reason my personal hatred for USI is second only to my personal hatred for NKU.

Comment

You will confess that Chris Thomas is not among the percentage of "true student-athletes" you refers to? Getting credits from barber school and transferring them to Ky. Wesleyan is sort of a bad look. And I don't care how skilled Thomas might have been with clippers, scissors, or razors. lol
                            Hardly a confession. And it was SIXTEEN YEARS AGO!

Comment

We know. We've known forever. This is not news, thank you. This is the reason my personal hatred for USI is second only to my personal hatred for NKU.
                              Now hate is a strong word to use. It's just sports, after all.

Comment

Hardly a confession. And it was SIXTEEN YEARS AGO!
                                But it was unethical, 16 years ago or today, correct? Just say yes!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X