Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is the GLIAC still around?

Originally posted by kwcpantherfan View Post
    I don't know much about Northern Michigan, but I do know that both Grand Valley State and Michigan Tech are HUGE schools that I would expect could easily make the transition to D1 if they felt that was their best option.
    Grand Valley loves their niche in Division II, football is king, the community supports them, etc. They will never leave Division II. Northern Michigan has more resources than either GVSU or MTU money-wise. MTU has really hit hard times with the economy up there. All three schools are going to have some interesting decisions in the future. Although with the addition of Purdue-Northwest, which I linked above, that might help the GLIAC. Where was Commish Naumovich when they wanted D-2 affiliation? We could have dismissed Rockhurst and William Jewell and added Purdue-Northwest and, say, Ashland.

Comment

I don't know much about Northern Michigan, but I do know that both Grand Valley State and Michigan Tech are HUGE schools that I would expect could easily make the transition to D1 if they felt that was their best option.
      This is very far off base. GVSU doesn't have money for D-I (nor close-by competition), and MTU is a small school.
      2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Also, the GLIAC is awful in basketball. The GLVC is in the heart of basketball country with Indiana and Kentucky schools involved. GLIAC is all Michigan and Ohio, where football rules. GLIAC will always play second-fiddle in basketball and not a single school in the conference considers themselves a basketball school. I would venture to guess that even Findlay is more in the football mode than basketball these days.
        2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

I say Rockhurst because it's no secret they want to join the MIAA. They were denied membership several years back because they do not have football. William Jewell is a complete disaster in athletics, the GLVC had no business allowing them into the league. I would love to see USI, Bellarmine, Indianapolis, Lewis, UW-Parkside, St. Joseph's, UM-St. Louis, Quincy, and Truman State leave the GLVC and add Ashland to form another league. The current GLVC with William Jewell, Rockhurst, McKendree, MS&T, Dreary, UIS, is a complete joke. I hate to say it, but Ky. Wesleyan made a wise choice to leave this league and form their own.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
            This is very far off base. GVSU doesn't have money for D-I (nor close-by competition), and MTU is a small school.
            Correct on both counts. I tried to explain that to the poster, but he's from KWC and probably has trouble deciphering good English.

Comment

Originally posted by EaglesPride View Post
              I say Rockhurst because it's no secret they want to join the MIAA. They were denied membership several years back because they do not have football. William Jewell is a complete disaster in athletics, the GLVC had no business allowing them into the league. I would love to see USI, Bellarmine, Indianapolis, Lewis, UW-Parkside, St. Joseph's, UM-St. Louis, Quincy, and Truman State leave the GLVC and add Ashland to form another league. The current GLVC with William Jewell, Rockhurst, McKendree, MS&T, Dreary, UIS, is a complete joke. I hate to say it, but Ky. Wesleyan made a wise choice to leave this league and form their own.
              We all would just assume that Southwest Baptist and Lincoln join you in the other sports, too...
              IH8FERRIS

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
                Also, the GLIAC is awful in basketball. The GLVC is in the heart of basketball country with Indiana and Kentucky schools involved. GLIAC is all Michigan and Ohio, where football rules. GLIAC will always play second-fiddle in basketball and not a single school in the conference considers themselves a basketball school. I would venture to guess that even Findlay is more in the football mode than basketball these days.
                Correct again. I proposed USI and several other GLVC schools leaving to form their own league and adding Ashland. The GLIAC has invaded our turf by adding Purdue-Northwest, just shows our commissioner is very lazy. They also added Calumet earlier I believe, another Indiana school out of our grasp. Meanwhile, we have Rockhurst, William Jewell, Maryville, McKendree, et.

Comment

Originally posted by IM N GUD H&NZ BEARCAT View Post
                  We all would just assume that Southwest Baptist and Lincoln join you in the other sports, too...
                  No thanks to either of those two.

Comment

We in the GLVC seem to specialize in adding the MIAA rejects, don't we? That's an indictment of the foolhardy commissioner of the GLVC.

Comment

Originally posted by EaglesPride View Post
                      We in the GLVC seem to specialize in adding the MIAA rejects, don't we? That's an indictment of the foolhardy commissioner of the GLVC.
                      Ha! Yes. Also forgot that Truman was over there!
                      IH8FERRIS

Comment

BTW...I have great respect for the sports and MIAA commissioner. They have a great collections of schools. When they added Central Oklahoma and UN-Kearney, to me that made the MIAA the best league in Division II. Great traditions, serious about winning championships, I love the MIAA's vision. Unlike the GLVC and its commissioner.

Comment

Ha! Yes. Also forgot that Truman was over there!
                          Yes, and MS&T was getting beat 80-0 in football every game in the MIAA, so we had to take them in as well. MS&T used to be called Missouri-Rolla, but they caved in to P.C. and said we don't like the hypen in our name. lol

Comment

Ah yes, Mich Tech enrollment of 7200, my bad should have realized that was considered a small school.

Comment

Ah yes, Mich Tech enrollment of 7200, my bad should have realized that was considered a small school.
                              We forgive you, since KWC has about, what, 400 students? And 100 of those are football players and student assistant coaches? lol

Comment

You were probably thinking Wayne St (MI)...
                                IH8FERRIS

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X